Good players but made no difference.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good player but didnt make a difference? Well Eriksen in his first season. He was a class apart from the rest but it made no difference when we were leaking 3-4 goals at the back. Thankfully he has gone on to play in some superb Tottenham teams.

In terms of good players who were just unable to make an impact, probably Giovani Dos Santos and Rebrov. They just didn't adapt well to the premier league.

Rebrov was a strange one Quality player(or so his rep said) but never really did it for us(or West ham).Was it the English game? I liked him though

He still showed great flashes, his volley against West Ham being the prime example. He could never adapt to the league and that seemed to hurt his confidence for the rest of his career, much like Soldado.

Could never fault his effort

At the time (presumably 97-99 ish) he was an absolutely massive difference. The only player worth watching in our team, and a huge influence on performance and results.

I hear you.

But I do think memories have grown sweeter with time regarding Ginola. And despite him we were still pretty mediocre. That's how I understand the topic of the thread anyway.

Fuck that! Ginola was the MAN! Me no likey you any more!
:dembelelol:

Ginola was the first player I genuinely adored wearing our shirt. When he went to Villa I thought it was an end of an era. He's the only reason we didn't get sucked into the Championship back then and who knows where we'd be now if that had happened.

A true class act, he gave me so many special memories from my younger years watching the club

Ginola was the first player I genuinely adored wearing our shirt. When he went to Villa I thought it was an end of an era. He's the only reason we didn't get sucked into the Championship back then and who knows where we'd be now if that had happened.

A true class act, he gave me so many special memories from my younger years watching the club

Only shirt I've ever had a name on the back ... Hewlett Packard purple kit...a thing of beauty! Excuse me while I have some private time...

Fuck that! Ginola was the MAN! Me no likey you any more!
:dembelelol:

tenor.gif

Ledley and him were so important to us during some dark times

This one will surely ruffle feathers:

Michael Dawson.

Great guy, bang average player. Hopeless when Ledley quit. How many excuses did we not invent for him to disguise the fact, that Ledleys unbelievable talent even as a cripple just had shaded out his lack of quality.

Seeing Toby and Jan today - and none of them have Ledleys raw power - compared to how Dawson played is just a sheer gulf in class. And an apt analogy to the development the team has undertaken in the same period of time.

This one will surely ruffle feathers:

Michael Dawson.

Great guy, bang average player. Hopeless when Ledley quit. How many excuses did we not invent for him to disguise the fact, that Ledleys unbelievable talent even as a cripple just had shaded out his lack of quality.

Seeing Toby and Jan today - and none of them have Ledleys raw power - compared to how Dawson played is just a sheer gulf in class. And an apt analogy to the development the team has undertaken in the same period of time.

Feathers ruffled. : P

I think that's unfair.

I think the team development you cite is distorting your view of what we could rightfully expect of a CB during his tenure.

As a 10th-5th finishing team he wasn't out of his depth. Seen him successfully martial a defense containing the likes of Kaboul (who could be an absolute liability if not focussed and on his game) and seen him have plenty of great games alongside a variety of partners not named 'The King'.

Ledley made all our CBs look better. Daws was best of the rest until our improvements under Jol & Harry meant we could attract a better calibre of player... Enter Jan Vertonghen, but even then no-one else we brought in managed to put him in the shade... AVB dropped him but he still fought his way back into the reckoning.

Easily the most exciting and talented footballer I have seen in a spurs shirt.

Was playing with injuries as well in the 91 cup run and was part of a very average spurs squad at the time.

Not one player in our current squad compares, such a shame he got injured and had his off field issues, for me he is up with the world's best, saw him tore so many teams apart single handed in a spurs shirt.
Agreed,seen him at the lane v Derby ,Shilton was in goal for them he scored one of the best hat tricks ever,he's the best I've ever seen

Back
Top Bottom