Going backwards?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whether i agree or not that is a pretty calm and reasonable synopsis, so why do you typically just fire the blame at Poch or Levy when the 2 of them are/were key to said 'leap'?

I don't because I have been one of Levy's biggest supporters since his arrival at the club and have routinely stated that Poch is the best coach in my time at the club. Both have played a large part in producing one of the best teams in the league. However I'm accutely aware of this clubs standing in the game and the frustration here is that our current position is not sustainable, what grates is that there is no urgency within any facet of the club from the board, coaches to the supporters to capitalise on this limited window. The biggest failing of both Levy and Poch has been this preoccupation with CL qualification and the culture this has created. And this isn't something new, this virtually a repeat of the Redknap era and the outcome. When the whole club prioritises securing additional revenue streams then is it any real wonder that it has gone a decade of no silverware?

Occasionally tier 2 sides will assemble tier 1 teams without such means. The likes of A. Madrid and Dortmund were able to capitalise on that whilst they had the opportunity, unfortunately we had to be the club that squandered it.

We were always going to fall backwards because this method is not sustainable and we do not have the resources of an elite club. What is so strange is the absolute reluctance of most supporters to see this, for many to adopt a next year mentality and to place little to no pressure on the club to win anything.
i think we have to take into account that Atl madrid and Dortman are in leagues somewhat less competitive than ours. The fact the league and domestic competitions have not been utterly dominated by the two Petrochem clubs over the last 10 yrs is testament to that. (I think the closest i can come up with is leicesters league win being the equivalent of someone like Deportivo la coruna, or Mallorca winning the title)

and still Chelsea have managed to run up an enormous debt to their owner

i think we have to take into account that Atl madrid and Dortman are in leagues somewhat less competitive than ours. The fact the league and domestic competitions have not been utterly dominated by the two Petrochem clubs over the last 10 yrs is testament to that. (I think the closest i can come up with is leicesters league win being the equivalent of someone like Deportivo la coruna, or Mallorca winning the title)

and still Chelsea have managed to run up an enormous debt to their owner

Athletico play in a league with Real and Barca have a duopoly in Spanish football and whose finances are light years ahead of them. And yet they won the league title, won 2 UEFA cups ( which renders the whole league argument dead) and got to 2 CL finals.

Whilst Dortmund has it easier they still won 2 league titles again against a side that dwarfs them financially and got to a CL final. Neither club has revenue stream higher than us.

We had a similar opportunity in recent seasons but failed to capitalise on that and that’s largely due to the arrogance and disrespect we have shown to tournaments such as the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup. We can’t keep hiding behind the revenue excuse not when we have built a side capable of competiting against those sides. This is purely down to us.

Athletico play in a league with Real and Barca have a duopoly in Spanish football and whose finances are light years ahead of them. And yet they won the league title, won 2 UEFA cups ( which renders the whole league argument dead) and got to 2 CL finals.

Whilst Dortmund has it easier they still won 2 league titles again against a side that dwarfs them financially and got to a CL final. Neither club has revenue stream higher than us.

We had a similar opportunity in recent seasons but failed to capitalise on that and that’s largely due to the arrogance and disrespect we have shown to tournaments such as the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup. We can’t keep hiding behind the revenue excuse not when we have built a side capable of competiting against those sides. This is purely down to us.

agree with you 100% on the UEFA (and "lesser") cups. biggest disappointment of the Levy era is that some of the managers (well, the last 3, not counting timmy stop gap) aint gone for them big time. Im a big believer that however much your individual players might have won, as a team you need to win something to understand how to. First is always the hardest though. It took what, 3 or 4 years for ferguson to win his first

Fans always moan about modern football, but demand their owners spend ridiculous sums of money. I hope we keep our net spend around £0 so the right people continue to become annoyed. I want those those 40-60 year old men around where I sit to embarrass themselves further by screaming abuse at kids/young men.
Love your achievement priority ha.

Fans always moan about modern football, but demand their owners spend ridiculous sums of money. I hope we keep our net spend around £0 so the right people continue to become annoyed. I want those those 40-60 year old men around where I sit to embarrass themselves further by screaming abuse at kids/young men.
What a load of shite!

4th best team in England right now,down from second last year. My fear is Chelsea gonna spend big next year and we're gonna drop to 5th.

Agree? Disagree? What can we change to fix it?

Still a chance we can finish 3rd come the end of the season.

As we finished 2nd last season, would only winning the league this year have shown progression?

You know what would sort this out?
A £50million transfer budget and a fairer wage cap...
That way, everyone spends the same...

THEN we'd see who has the best manager/players...

Money IS ALL that talks right now... spend it in disgusting amounts, and you've won.
Be frugal with it (like Tight Jew Levy apparently is) and we'll always be part of the chasing pack.

SPENDING MORE IT ISN'T THE SOLUTION...
Curbing it for everyone is!

Give it 10 years and the stadiums will be empty at this rate.

I doubt anyone was saying we were going backwards after the the first 20 mins yesterday. We were unplayable! Harry gets his foot to that cross or Dier's shot creeps in then this thread wouldn't exist. Football is a game of fine margins and a lot of luck is involved.

As depressing as yesterday's defeat was, we have to take a step back and look at the larger picture. We have got a bit carried away with our expectations, because we have had some big performances against big teams this season, but that's not the norm for us. We are still over performing and it's still a fight for us to just maintain our current status. Man United have something like 5 or 6 times our revenue, and spend hundreds of millions in one transfer window like it's nothing. We are nowhere near that level, and yet we are competing with them and occasionally beating them convincingly.
The problem is that people adjust very quickly to their new reality and take things for granted, then it becomes a case of ''what have you done for me lately?''. We can't dismiss the progress we have made in recent years and act like we are now an elite level club, just because we can hold our own against the elite sometimes. Pochettino, whilst not perfect, has done a remarkable job at this club with the limitations he faces. Do you think Mourinho could have done a better job, with the same budget? Can anyone say yes with absolute confidence?
We did peak last season with this current squad and it's clear that we need a major refresh this summer in order to re-energize the club and make everyone rally again for another push to punch above our weight and be greater than the sum of our parts.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone was saying we were going backwards after the the first 20 mins yesterday. We were unplayable! Harry gets his foot to that cross or Dier's shot creeps in then this thread wouldn't exist. Football is a game of fine margins and a lot of luck is involved.

Yep good post.

Lets just assess our best 20 minutes in matches and the ifs and buts.

8 semi-final losses is call for analysis of some sort.

Backwards no?

Pertinent maybe is whether posters feel if the managers were changed fot the match and they had each other's squads if the outcome would have been different?

Back
Top Bottom