Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just over 20,000 there. Apathetic times as a fanbase - I don't think there was any rebuilding going on - our highest attendance was for the wham visit at just over 39,000 but most of the attendances were in the 20-30,000. Just over 16,000 for the visit of Leicester.
And what a team we had then as well. King Clive,Waddle and Hoddle. Still my favourite Tottenham team. Still don’t know how we never won a cup that season.

Ridiculous volleying technique. I remember reading that he practised it by playing “keepy uppies” against a wall in a squash court, and he had said something like he practised until he could either do 100 off either foot. That’s exactly the moment I knew I was not going to be a professional footballer.

Many thanks for that

Watford one still my favourite 🤩
Mine too, as I was behind the goal for that one, so had a perfect view; the ball appeared to move in slow motion. IIRC, that was the game Archie came off the bench because he'd had a row with The General.
Close second has to be the Oxford one, again the best view from the front of the Shelf - like a knife through butter.
Glenn was such a a special, unique player, watching him warm up it was worth the entrance money alone.

Mine too, as I was behind the goal for that one, so had a perfect view; the ball appeared to move in slow motion. IIRC, that was the game Archie came off the bench because he'd had a row with The General.
Close second has to be the Oxford one, again the best view from the front of the Shelf - like a knife through butter.
Glenn was such a a special, unique player, watching him warm up it was worth the entrance money alone.

I was along the side so behind Glenn when he swivelled and then chipped their large keeper from inside the box

Great goal!

His volleyed goal against Bolton in the FA Cup (1978) sticks in my mind. I was sitting behind the goal in the Paxton Road End where he scored. Unfortunately, there seems to be no footage of the goal.

Last edited:
I think it was.
Pretty sure he got a standing ovation at the end.
Yes we knew he was off to Monaco, and his swan song was going to be the FA Cup final, which unfortunately didn't go to script.
Another team of ours, full of generational talents, that couldn't get over the line and capture a trophy :(

Footballs in those days weighed a ton, it was like hitting a brick. And defenders were savages. Nobody had a clue about nutrition, sleep and all them other value-added things even regular athletes have access to today. Still, Glenn was magnificent. He'd be a Ballon d'Or candidate each year in this era we're in.
Footballs in those days weighed.......exactly the same as footballs today.

However. They weren't as water proof.

Yes we knew he was off to Monaco, and his swan song was going to be the FA Cup final, which unfortunately didn't go to script.
Another team of ours, full of generational talents, that couldn't get over the line and capture a trophy :(
Yeah, blame the 90's and Alan Sugar for the 86/87 season - come on, you know the rules :roflmao:

Our first FA Cup final loss.
One of the drivers for Hoddle leaving was that English teams were still banned from European football after Heysel so thank the Scousers to some degree for losing him.

Back
Top Bottom