Glenn Hoddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fav Hod goals seen live (not in order):
Forest volley
Man U volley
Oxford dribble
Wimbledon FA cup qtr final freekick screamer
Anfield 30yd screamer
Bolton FA cup 3rd round chip from near corner flag (not filmed, a shame as probably his best ever)
Numerous free kicks, plus many more.
Greatest player at Spurs in my supporting years. Shamefully wasted by England.
Surely the goal away at Watford in the cup must be near the top ?
Not even a mention.

Last edited:
Goal in FA Cup at Chelsea, in front of massive away following. Must have been 15k of us there that day.

I would also argue his best goal for us was in that same year, a penalty against QPR, as it won us a trophy.

Last edited:
Goal in FA Cup at Chelsea, in front of massive away following. Must have been 15k of us there that day.

I would also argue his best goal for us was in that same year, a penalty against QPR, as it won us a trophy.
That was an interesting day on and off the pitch! The build up to that goal and Mickey H's was brilliant.

Fav Hod goals seen live (not in order):
Forest volley
Man U volley
Oxford dribble
Wimbledon FA cup qtr final freekick screamer
Anfield 30yd screamer
Bolton FA cup 3rd round chip from near corner flag (not filmed, a shame as probably his best ever)
Numerous free kicks, plus many more.
Greatest player at Spurs in my supporting years. Shamefully wasted by England.
All great goals and yes, the stand out one for me was his goal in the FA cup game against Bolton. A goal of absolute beauty but no TV to witness it for posterity, sadly. I remember listening to the results on the radio coming back from the game and it was being raved about with some saying it was the best goal they’d seen. Brilliant goal.

Too many great performances to list but the one I recall the best was his performance at home against Feyenoord in ‘83. Cruyff, although getting on a bit by then, was still a joy to watch but Glenn gave an absolute masterclass that night. Even had Cruyff applauding him on the pitch at one stage. Great atmosphere that night.

Clough would have

team talk

"this, gentlemen, is a ball. When you (defenders) get it, you give it to him. And then you guys (strikers) run into space and he'll find you"
In the video"Greatest Ever England Team ", they got Clough to pick the team.

On Glenn he tells how he spoke to Glenn and said"Come to me on loan, just for a month and I'll tell you whether you can play or not "
This was in regards to his tackling.

Probably the usual Clough bluster.

All great goals and yes, the stand out one for me was his goal in the FA cup game against Bolton. A goal of absolute beauty but no TV to witness it for posterity, sadly. I remember listening to the results on the radio coming back from the game and it was being raved about with some saying it was the best goal they’d seen. Brilliant goal.
I was just below the Shelf for that one, I couldn't see how he'd score from there, miracle shot.

That would have been Jimmy Armfield who did radio summaries. He was involved with footie all his life and always maintained it was the greatest goal he'd ever seen. He'd have seen a fair number too obv.

Fun fact was responsible for Venables becoming England manager and some of our best football ever.

"Robson entered the tournament nursing a shoulder injury however, and after playing eighty minutes in the 1-0 group stage defeat to Portugal he lasted only forty-one in the second match against Morocco in Monterrey."

"Critics suggested that Bobby Robson’s team benefited from the tactical changes his absence allowed, arguing that setting a team up to protect its wounded leader had inhibited its attacking potential. Having not scored against Portugal or Morocco, England minus Robson scored seven goals in the next three games."

I thought it was generally Robson & Wilkins that kept Hoddle on the bench for much of his int. career, but Hoddle started all 3 group games tho........

Hodge & Reid were the incoming MFs.
My bad then.

I did say my memory was sketchy.

I'm sure he didn't play central though with Robson and Wilkins starting ?

My favourite was where he does a backheel turn in the box, spins and dinks the ball up over the goalkeeper into the far corner. Delicate little lob in tight confines. Think it was against Watford. Don't have time this morning to check Youtubes.

Magnifique

Clough would have

team talk

"this, gentlemen, is a ball. When you (defenders) get it, you give it to him. And then you guys (strikers) run into space and he'll find you"

The best England manager we never had!

English FA bottled it as usual

I was just below the Shelf for that one, I couldn't see how he'd score from there, miracle shot.

That would have been Jimmy Armfield who did radio summaries. He was involved with footie all his life and always maintained it was the greatest goal he'd ever seen. He'd have seen a fair number too obv.

Fun fact was responsible for Venables becoming England manager and some of our best football ever.
I couldn’t remember who it was, you’re right it was Jimmy Armfield. I was also on the shelf to see it. A truly wonder goal.

Back
Top Bottom