Gary Mabbutt - a Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking hell... Are you saying that the whole Sol Campbell mess is MABBUTT'S FAULT?

little fucker....

Sol shoulda been our John Polston/Guy Butters... then no one woulda batted an eyelid!

But cos Mabbsey had to go and fucking get involved, WE lost virtually an entire decade of Spurs supporting football enjoyment!

Does he even realise the implications of what he did, helping that Judas cunt in the first place??
Anyone who witnessed Campbell's early forays in the Spurs first team will recall how limited he was.

He was basically used wherever Spurs had injuries in the back 4.

Campbell was supposedly a striker.

He owed Mabbutt and THFC everything; especially the supporters who gave the prick nothing but encouragement and love.

Never felt the same about any footballer since then.

First poster on my wall as a nipper was of Gary Mabbutt. Such a genuine, humble and very decent guy. Should have a major honorary role for me, like lifetime Club President. If he’s still doing the legends tours, he’s very much worth it. Has great accounts of the 80s and 90s.

He phoned my Dad on his birthday last month and properly made his day. Spoke for 20 minutes or so. Obviously my Dad thought it was a prank at first... then afterwards thought it was something that I had arranged.

He phoned my Dad on his birthday last month and properly made his day. Spoke for 20 minutes or so. Obviously my Dad thought it was a prank at first... then afterwards thought it was something that I had arranged.
How old is your old man? Can't imagine he does this often

Absolutely love this. What an incredible human being he is. The unsung stuff is so impressive to learn about.
Really happy that it made your dad’s special day.
As a long time season ticket holder he deserves some joy!
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
He phoned my Dad on his birthday as well last year - we both had STs last season.

What was quite funny is Dad was out and Mum answered the phone and didn’t have a clue who he was! The message was passed on, thankfully,

Just listened to the off the shelf podcast, what a legend. Being a type 1 diabetic almost all of my life I can’t imagine how hard it must of been for him to play top level sport and keep his diabetes in check especially in them days when diabetes care and understanding was very poor and the tech to help didn’t exist back then

Anyone who witnessed Campbell's early forays in the Spurs first team will recall how limited he was.

He was basically used wherever Spurs had injuries in the back 4.

Campbell was supposedly a striker.

He owed Mabbutt and THFC everything; especially the supporters who gave the prick nothing but encouragement and love.

Never felt the same about any footballer since then.
Yep. Campbell filled in where ever needed., can't remember which games but he did have a couple of games as our c/f .. mind you we were absolutely desperate.

Back
Top Bottom