Gary Mabbutt - a Legend

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It has been 18 years since Gary Mabbutt retired from professional football. It is fair to say that a lot has happened at Spurs in those 18 years but not nearly as much as did during his 16 year career at The Lane.

Mabbutt played alongside Hoddle, Ardiles, Perryman, Lineker, Klinsmann, Anderton, Waddle and Sheringham. He also shared a locker room with Kevin Scott, Andy Booth, Bobby Mimms, Stuart Nethercott, Jose Dominguez and Andy Sinton.

He was a key figure in a team that was a fannies hair away from a treble in 1987, and was part of the team which won away at Oldham in 1994 to avoid relegation.

He had his face smashed in by John Fashanu in what was essentially assault. Suffered a horrific broken leg on the opening day of the 1996-97 season, missing the entire campaign and played his final match at the end of the following season.

He saw Scholar change Tottenham, and in effect, football into a business. He was there when Tottenham were moments away from going bust, he was present during the farcical 12 point demotion and FA Cup banishment (both rescinded).

Mabbutt signed from Bristol for Tottenham, one of the countries biggest and most successful clubs, upon his retirement we were floundering. A team that didn’t seem to have a great sense of direction. His retirement for many, myself included, was very much the end of Tottenham Hotspur’s association with the past glories of the previous decade.

What is often forgotten about him is what an excellent player he was. Capable of playing in a number of positions, indeed he played for England in midfield as well as defence in his not to be sniffed at 16 caps (one goal).

Mabbutt became synonymous for his unfortunate own goal in the 1987 FA Cup final but if you have ever, ever, seen a happier face when he lifted the cup four years later then you are a liar or you’re in a maternity ward because it remains a thing of pure, unbridled joy.

For many, Mabbutt is a player they won’t have seen, nor is he a player who generates a great deal of nostalgia. YouTube isn’t going to be awash with Mabbutt’s greatest moment accompanied by some Euro techno beat. But for those who do remember him, it is with admiration. A player who had to overcome huge odds as a diabetic, and whilst not the most naturally athletic chap, he managed to play a total of 581 matches for Spurs scoring 38 goals in the process.

There is a significant number of football players who generate bad press, Paul Gascoigne has been one of those, yet again it speaks volumes about the man that Mabbutt is that he has remained a loyal friend to Gascoigne where so many have courted his company for the less than honest purposes, Mabbutt has been nothing but a rock for his old team mate.

And this is what is so great about him; on the pitch and off it the man went about his business as a leader with the utmost of integrity. A Tottenham legend and someone who we should treasure here at Tottenham Hotspur.

I hope there is some kind of nod to him when the new stadium is complete but few players, few people have done as much for the name of the club as Garry Vincent Mabbutt.

Don't know whether this is of any interest but I was lucky enough to meet Mabbsy today on a Legends tour at WHL, so thought I'd chuck down some of the things he talked about.

There were only about 12 of us so it was a nice intimate session - highly recommended if there is anyone leading a tour that you'd like the chance to chat to in person. Covid is a pain in the arse so everyone had to wear masks but we could remove them for a few socially-distanced photographs.

Anyhows, the conversation started from looking at what the club is building now and how that compared to Irving Scholar's vision for Tottenham, which all went horribly wrong in the 1980s. GM was full of praise for IS - said he was the best chairman he'd ever had... but that the economic crashes of the 1980s screwed up our plan. He thinks ENIC is a step up on that and is balancing the investment in the club and the broader business very well. Said that Joe Lewis has virtually no interest in the club at all other than the astronomical growth in ENIC's investment. GM said that IS still a huge Tottenham fan and they stay in touch, but he doesn't seem to be welcome at WHL under the current regime.

He said that Venables was the best and worst manager that he's worked under, that T's strength was on the training pitch and that he abandoned the team straight after the Cup Final in 1991, not coming into the changing room once, despite GM's attempts to get him more involved in the First Team. GM was politely scathing really about Venables getting lost in some dream of becoming a Board Director - certainly an interesting perspective.

GM said that the period between 1991 and into the Scholar/Sugar/Venables saga was really tough as a captain. It's very clear how much of a leader GM was within the club - really, he was the boss of the whole First Team operation in some ways - and that holding the dressing room together was hard. Interestingly, he said that the dressing room back in 1991 was pretty bad, with cliques and factions who simply didn't get on... but somehow they got it together to win the FA Cup, although Gazza played a huge part in getting us there (by GM's own admission).

There were a few anecdotes about Gazza but GM said that him and Glenn Hoddle were the two best players he every played with, just ahead of Ardiles and Jurgen. Said that him and JK are still good friends, were close at Tottenham and even discussed a potential managerial partnership at one point.

GM has always felt that we are his club and he felt a very strong bond from his debut (he scored) onwards. He had a chance to leave in 1987, with Liverpool offering him double wages and a large signing-on bonus (Arse, Man Utd and Lyon were also trying to sign him then as he was out of contract) but he wanted to stay with us and felt we could do some really big things as a club.

His best defensive partner was Richard Gough but sadly the 1-year move to us was all agreed by RG and Rangers as Dundee United wouldn't sell directly to them. RG apparently regrets that now hugely but was committed to the 'hidden' agreement.

He's very positive about our current team, the quality in the side, the counter-attacking football and the harder mentality that Mou has brought in. He spent some time with Mou when they were respectively managing the Spurs vs Inter legends match. Said that Mou was really positive and excited about what we were building in the club. Was full of praise for Poch and the fundamental repositioning of us as a club that Poch achieved, especially through the Wembley years. That was what made us a name in European football and has enabled us to commercially capitalise on.

GM would still clearly love a more technical role in the club, and has been offered DoF roles in other clubs. He was keen on management until he nearly lost his leg and now he can't run or do much exercise at all. He says that managers have to be on the pitch, have to know players, and said that man management outweighs all of the supposed technical genius of certain types. He's close friends with Wenger (!) and there was a clear allusion to general disbelief about how that lot down the road are being run, how Ozil can be left out in the cold etc. I just hope it continues.

He did, however, want time out of the game after playing (his last game was "one of the the worst days of my life") to be with his family. He recounted talking to Bill Nich, who said to him about his daughter's wedding : "My biggest regret is that... at my daughter's wedding... I looked down at my daughter and I didn't recognise her... I'd just not been a part of her life" - that clearly struck a chord with him and he didn't start looking at coaching until later on.

What GM does today for the Tottenham Hotspur community is incredible. On top of his ambassadorial role, and alongside various community work he does, he still phones around 14 people every day who are vulnerable members of the community, spending 15-20 minutes talking to each one. He had his list for this evening which he'll no doubt be doing still as I'm typing. He's phoned over 1,700 people to date.

The guy is just an absolutely brilliant, humble, astute, kind and inspirational man. He still takes his position as a leader and captain of our club very seriously. He looks after Gazza as best as he can, he's in touch with former players and he represents the club very well. Frankly, I think he deserves something more than being a mere 'ambassador' and e.g. Life President would not be inappropriate.

TLDR etc but I'm pretty happy with my signed photo and signed copy of 'The Lane' that I got him to do. I decided not to make him feel too awkward by saying that his poster was on my bedroom wall as a kid... or that it was his fault that I became a Tottenham fan in the first place. But both of those things are true and now I've properly met one of my heroes. He didn't disappoint.

Yids. UTS.

P.S. oh and there was some nice big stadium thing but frankly everyone there - and we were of a certain age - just wanted to spend time in GM's company.

Not sure if there is another dedicated Mabbutt thread...?

This on the BBC is a real mark of the man though...

"Mabbutt has spent two hours a day since the pandemic began calling vulnerable Spurs fans to provide some company. He is now nearing 1,000 calls."

Love the guy.

I just took part in a Q&A session with Mabbsey. He is such a lovely, genuine guy, so obviously a Spurs man - he said that from the minute he walked through the doors, he felt he was home. He mentioned that he was never one for going over to the supporters kissing the badge, as he felt he didn't need to, as we knew what the Club meant to him.
He retold the rat story (see above), and he is still having problems because of it; he still has to wear special orthopedic shoes. Following his heart bypass and his ongoing diabetes, he is on 7 injections and 16 tablets a day. He just accepts it all without complaint, saying it's all part of the ups and downs of life.
On recalling the '91 Cup run, he said that Gazza was our talisman for that competition, on how whenever there was a band at a game, he would always kick balls into the middle of the band and cause chaos. Mabbsey went on to say that although everything went wrong in the first half, Gazza being stretchered off disconcerted Forest more than it did us, as it meant that other players not usually in the spotlight (Howells, Sedgley, Samways, Edinburgh) came into their own.
Someone asked him who is 5-a-side team would be - Jennings, Gough, King, Hoddle, Gazza, Klinsmann, with himself as the sub.
Someone then asked him who he would watch the Man Utd game with, practicing social distancing - Klinsmann, Thorsvedt, Ardiles.
Gary talked about how the lockdown has affected his daughters' education and how his eldest had to complete her degree remotely. That sparked a memory for me, and I said that I remembered his wife carrying out his eldest as a baby when he appeared on "This is your Life". He confirmed that it was a complete surprise and he knew nothing about it.
A Legend without doubt, and a gentleman, to boot. What a guy!
Again, a great occasion, Yorkshire Supporters' Club have organised these sessions superbly. I hope that there are going to be more to come. I'm going to suggest the lovely Daveed for the next one!!

He phoned my Dad on his birthday last month and properly made his day. Spoke for 20 minutes or so. Obviously my Dad thought it was a prank at first... then afterwards thought it was something that I had arranged.

One of my all time favourites.
His pefect tackles,taking the ball of the oppositions toe,from behind will live with me for ever..And he use to do those on a regular basis, often 3 times in a game. A gentleman ,and a 100% player.
I don't recall seeing him ever have a bad game.
He was also an inspiration to people with diabetes ,and did bundles for others that suffered with the condition that he did.
I also remember Liverpool and Man utd sniffing around him in the 80s, yet he stayed with us.(Man u weren't the team they became,but were still a massive draw to players for wages alone)
I was at the Haringey Remembrance service at the Wood Green war memorial in November, and thought it very appropriate that it was Mabbutt who laid a wreath on behalf of the club.He was chatty to Spurs fans that approached him at the after service Tea/Coffee social as well(sadly, i had to shoot off ,so never got to talk to him) I can't think of a player I would rather do that on behalf of THFC from the recent modern era.
I agree 100%. I hope the club honour him at the new White Hart Lane

Top, top player and all-round wonderful human being. Saw him on the walk up to Wembley Stadium last year against the Chavs, and he was mobbed, but didn't stop smiling throughout. I have met him a few times and he is so genuine, he loves our Club as much as we do. Agree with others that the unadulterated pleasure on his face when he picked up the FA Cup will live in the memory forever. No-one deserved it more than he. Love the man and truly deserves the 'Legend' tag.

Proper legend loved him on the terraces but
also meet him a few times and he has always been incredibly polite. His support of gazza shows him to be what we all know he is a captain of our club in the most widest sense. He should be honoury chairman of Tottenham

Lucky enough to meet him a couple of times myself, always struck me as the sort of bloke who'd give yuu his last fiver, no matter that he needed it.

Back
Top Bottom