Gareth Bale Appreciation Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

tumblr_mshkakBxUL1rwch8qo1_500.jpg

Well THAT'LL pull the stitches out!!!

Ouch!!!!

I always knew he was going to leave -- it was foretold by Shakespeare/history itself in the play that gave birth to the name of this club.

Just putting this here as well, for closure. And promotional puroposes.

I'd somehow forgotten how good his goals were. The man is amazing and we're going to miss him badly. Still can't bring myself to begrudge him the opportunity to be the most expensive player in history though.

Cristiano Ronaldo welcomes Gareth Bale to Real Madrid

Dear Gareth,

Please allow me to formally welcome you to Real Madrid. As you can see by the look on my face, I am very happy you have joined us. I would have preferred to offer this greeting in person, but with both of us busy during the international break — you playing for Wales and me playing for a real country like Portugal — I felt it would be best to write, rather than wait until we are both in Madrid again. Especially since I don't really know what you look like and I wouldn't want to lower your self-esteem by not recognizing you. That's how considerate of a teammate I am.

Much has been made about the astonishing price of your transfer, but don't concern yourself with that. Contrary to popular belief, I don't really care if yours was more expensive than mine or not. Though, for the sake of accuracy, I do believe that inflation over the last four years means that mine is still technically greater even if yours was for €100 million. Plus, I had the decency to complete mine early in the summer, rather than subject the world to a prolonged and tedious fight filled with unseemly tactics like not showing up at training. That alone is worth more than any amount of money. But it's not fair to expect everyone to be a courteous gentleman, I suppose.

It is flattering that my fee is the benchmark by which yours was measured. As I'm sure you know, I have followed up that historic transfer by scoring 202 goals in 202 appearances for Real Madrid over the last four years, including no fewer than 50 goals in each of the last three season. I'm sure only a few million people will criticize you when you fail to match that high level of return on investment, since everyone else will be too busy praising my continued success. Please don't ever feel the need to thank me for that compassionate distraction.

But this isn't about me and the three Premier League titles, one Champions League title and Ballon d'Or I won before becoming the most expensive footballer of all time or how you have only accomplished none of that by the same age. This is just to say welcome and provide you with a friendly, written reminder not to use any of my hair products on that €2 cut of yours. I will be checking the levels in every bottle daily.

In conclusion, it's truly a wonder to have you here and as long as you don't get in my way, I'm sure we will achieve many great things together.

Confidently yours,

The Boss

P.S. If our other teammates seem cold and unfriendly, don't take it to heart. They're just upset that you are here and Mesut Ozil isn't.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...s-gareth-bale-real-madrid-231336020--sow.html

Gareth Bale put Tottenham under pressure to secure Real Madrid move

Gareth Bale put Tottenham under 'intense' pressure to secure his summer move to Real Madrid, according to Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas.

The Wales international finally completed a protracted switch to the Bernabeu over the weekend for a world-record fee of £85.3million.

Spurs boss Villas-Boas conceded it was the will of the player which proved decisive.

Speaking after a meeting of top coaches at UEFA headquarters in Switzerland, the Portuguese told The Telegraph: "The pressure we were subjected to by the player has been intense.

"The pressure we were subjected to by the player has been intense."

Andre Villas-Boas

"The influence of Real Madrid has been very big and you get to a point where you have to consider if it's feasible not to accept an offer and whether you can press on with a player in that state of mind.

"Obviously, we should be happy with the transfer fee that was paid. Players want to win championships and I believe that with Gareth that is within reach.

"At the end of the day, it's up to a player to decide if he wants to stay or wants to go."

The summer transfer window closed on Monday, more than two weeks after the opening Premier League fixtures.

Villas-Boas does not believe that is a healthy situation, adding: "The clubs like it as it is but the coaches are of the opinion that the market should be closed earlier.

Wales Assistant Manager Kit Symons believes that Gareth Bale my play some part in the World Cup Qualifier against Macedonia

"The coaches need time to prepare their teams for the season. Most coaches would like it to be open less time and closed earlier; obviously we will have to have further meetings."

Bale is now planning to live up to his billing in the Spanish capital although he has to wait untilSeptember 14 for his Madrid debut when Real travel to Villarreal in a game you can watch live on Sky Sports 2.

Asked about the great players Real have had in the past, Bale said: "There have been the likes of (Zinedine) Zidane and obviously the previous ones, which were a bit before my time, like (Ferenc) Puskas and (Alfredo) Di Stefano.

The 'What's The Story?' panel discuss whether Gareth Bale will cope with the expectations after his world record move to Real Madrid.

"There are lot of players who have been unbelievable here, world class and legends of the game. Hopefully, I can become the player I want to be, and hopefully be in that league."

Bale will be managed by Carlo Ancelotti at his new club and said: "I think he's a great manager, he's won at every single club he's been at, I think.

"I've spoken to other players who have had him as manager and it's been nothing short of he's the best manager they've ever had. So obviously that was a factor in me coming, working with a great like himself.

"As for the squad, it's an absolutely amazing squad, I've got to work hard to get in the starting XI. There are world-class players here and I obviously came here to be a part of it and to try and get into the starting XI and win trophies."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ham-under-pressure-to-secure-real-madrid-move

Back
Top Bottom