Fulham v. Spurs - Sunday, January 20th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate, they're completely different. No idea how many times you've seen Skipp play but he's completely different to Winks in every way besides the fact he's white and came through the youth.

Not persuading myself nothing. I've seen both play numerous times in youth football for us and 50+ first team games between them and not a single time within that time have I ever thought they were similar in a single way.

Not really sure how the comparison is ludicrous. One aims to keep possession and control a game whilst the other aims to break up play and is more defence minded.

Only ever seen Skipp since he's broken into the first team. I'd never play him and Winks together. Both ball winners/recyclers playing in front of the defence. Both there to break up play and act as an outlet when a teammate is looking for a pass. Similar build/height/weight. Both inexperienced. Skipp maybe has more potential.

In my view they are very similar (like the other pairs I've quoted that can't be chosen together - unless in an emergency).

I've given my views as to how I think they're similar. Rather then how many times you've seen them, tell me how you think they're not.

We'll see if the manager agrees or not.

Only ever seen Skipp since he's broken into the first team. I'd never play him and Winks together. Both ball winners/recyclers playing in front of the defence. Similar build/height/weight. Both inexperienced. Skipp maybe has more potential.

In my view they are very similar (like the other pairs I've quoted that can't be chosen together - unless in an emergency).

I've given my views as to how I think they're similar. Rather then how many times you've seen them, tell me how you think they're not.

We'll see if the manager agrees or not.

I've just told you how they're not similar.

Winks, when told to play his natural game, is a player who aims to control a game. He's that Modric, Xavi type, nowhere near as good obviously but his aim isn't to be winning tackles and defending like he's been asked to do with Dier and Wanyama out injured. Make sure everything ticks in the middle.

Skipps natural game is akin to that of a Matic. He's there to sit in front of a defence and as soon as he receives the ball, pass it to a Winks or an Eriksen. He's the guy who will chase someone down and win the tackle, there to intercept, something you wouldn't get from Winks for 90 minutes unless an opponent is in his 'area'.

Winks has done his best impression of a defence minded midfielder this season but it's not his natural game. Just look at the Burnley game in which Skipp started. The performance was completely different to anything you've seen from Winks this season.

I'm just not sure how any of that is similar to Winks.

I'm just not sure how any of that is similar to Winks.

Another compilation. Proves nothing! U19 isn't the PL.

Not sure what 'natural game' is. They do what they're told by the manager/coaching staff

I base my evidence on my eyes, the time they're on the pitch, and what they do.

Let's wait and see if they are ever started together.

Last edited:
Another compilation. Proves nothing! U19 isn't the PL.

Not sure what 'natural game' is. They do what their told by the manager/coaching staff

I base my evidence on my eyes, the time they're on the pitch, and what they do.

Let's wait and see if they are ever started together.

Let's

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
All of our big strong Midfielders( Wanyama, Dier, Dembele & Sissoko) out at the same time is bad news. Will need our best team for Chelsea and the difficulty is can those not fully fit play both and should those that are coming back from injury start in such a big semi? I include in that list Vertonghen, Dier, Sissoko, Moura, Lamela, Rose, Dembele. None of us can know the fitness levels and for that reason I find it harder than usual to suggest a line up. The result/score will very much be dependant on the line up and with Chelsea in Mind I suggest the following but with better than usual use of subs to protect those above from playing 90 mins
Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Foyth, Alderweireld, Davies, Skipp, Eriksen, Dele, Lamela, Moura.
However I expect some of those I have left out to be included as premiership match against Relegation team is deemed more important than Semi in cup.

More I think about it, I reckon a 3-4-2-1 will be implemented against Fulham, so we still have an option from the bench, albeit a piss poor bench.

- Lloris
- Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen -
- KWP - Winks - Dier - Rose
- Eriksen - Dele -
- Lucas -

Can't play Skipp and Winks together, they're too similar. Just like playing Moura and Son or Wanyama and Dier.

I completely disagree with that notion. If one knows what the other is doing and both have discipline to cover the other if need be that could be a great tool to utilise.

When it comes to the more intricate attacking final 3rd play too many direct players etc etc I make you right but with both being mobile, showing ability to make forward runs with the ball, drop a shoulder and keep the tempo ticking I think both could easily complement eachother whilst keeping the other team guessing until certain players recover

I completely disagree with that notion. If one knows what the other is doing and both have discipline to cover the other if need be that could be a great tool to utilise.

When it comes to the more intricate attacking final 3rd play too many direct players etc etc I make you right but with both being mobile, showing ability to make forward runs with the ball, drop a shoulder and keep the tempo ticking I think both could easily complement eachother whilst keeping the other team guessing until certain players recover
OK, we'll see.

Our squad resources are stretched paper thin at the moment. Let's see if they ever play together (other than in an emergency situation e.g. further injuries).

My view is that you can play one, or the other, but not both. Just like Dier/Wanyama, Son/Lucas.

More serious is Kane's injury and no Son to cover. I hope Lucas is: a) fit, b) up to it. Or will he take a punt with Llorente? Fulham may be a good opportunity.

----- Lloris -------

------ Sanchez---------Foyth------------Verts-----

Airier--------- Dier---------Winks---------Rose

--------Lamela----------------Lucas--------

------------------Lorente-----------------

Kane (if available), Eriksen on the bench

Jan and Toby hardly play together the last couple of season!

True.

They've started 7/22 games together so far this season in the league.
They started 13/38 games together last season.

And a lot of those were with an additional centre half with them, usually Sanchez.

Back
Top Bottom