Fort Knox FC Vs Palace Sat 6th May 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm shocked you see Royal's position as a RCB and Romero as CCB. Yes, that was the build up play but to me the shape was clearly a back 4 with Royal at RB and Romero at RCB.

I think I'm pushing back so much against the idea of classifying Royal as a RCB today because it sort of implies the defensive system wasn't totally altered from a back 5 to a back 4. I would not at all describe Royal as slotting into a RCB in the system and same for Romero at CCB.

To me it's a clear defensive system change from 5-4-1/5-3-2 to 4-4-2.
Plenty of ways to describe the formation :

Spurs used a back four out of possession, with fit-again Emerson Royal at right-back and Pedro Porro pushed forward, but reverted to a fluid three-man defence with the ball, with Porro and Ben Davies pushing forward to provide width as Emerson tucked in.

As an alternative - In possession playing with 3 CB's, out of possession a back 4.

Spurs used a back four out of possession, with fit-again Emerson Royal at right-back and Pedro Porro pushed forward, but reverted to a fluid three-man defence with the ball, with Porro and Ben Davies pushing forward to provide width as Emerson tucked in.

As an alternative - In possession playing with 3 CB's, out of possession a back 4.
I think I keep pushing back on this because the defensive system change was so stark and obvious, from a back 5 to a back 4. That's why I don't like referring to Royal and Romero as "slotting into" the RCB and CCB, respectively, because those defensive roles did not exist in our system today.

Would you buy Lenglet for say £8m?
Not saying I want he starting every week but as a cheap squad player we could do worse especially if Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga and Rodon are sold.
Leaving us with a squad of Romero, Lenglet and 2 new CBs
Either that or let Lenglet go back to Barca and give Dier a new contract 😱
Whether he is cheap is not the issue but is he good enough. I do not think he is and whilst we have to sell the likes of Sanchez, Lenglet is on loan and is easier to dispose of. I think we can get better on loan again.

Whether he is cheap is not the issue but is he good enough. I do not think he is and whilst we have to sell the likes of Sanchez, Lenglet is on loan and is easier to dispose of. I think we can get better on loan again.

I think he is good enough to be honest, thought he was good today and been solid if unspectacular most of the season, do I think we could do better for a starter, yes I do but if we have a clear out as I hope we do he could be a cheap/good squad option

I think I keep pushing back on this because the defensive system change was so stark and obvious, from a back 5 to a back 4. That's why I don't like referring to Royal and Romero as "slotting into" the RCB and CCB, respectively, because those defensive roles did not exist in our system today.

I would suggest that both RCB and CCB existed today when we were in the 'back 5 mode' - but clearly not when we reverted to a back 4.

Couldn’t watch, did Royal play RCB today? How did he do?
He was decent. A somewhat calming presence at the back compared to recent displays from that side of the pitch.

He dealt with Zaha well enough and was comfortable in possession as a whole.

I thought he was playing RCB in a 3 with Porro and Davies at WB but some disputing that.

Last edited:
I'm shocked you see Royal's position as a RCB and Romero as CCB. Yes, that was the build up play but to me the shape was clearly a back 4 with Royal at RB and Romero at RCB.

I think I'm pushing back so much against the idea of classifying Royal as a RCB today because it sort of implies the defensive system wasn't totally altered from a back 5 to a back 4. I would not at all describe Royal as slotting into a RCB in the system and same for Romero at CCB.

To me it's a clear defensive system change from 5-4-1/5-3-2 to 4-4-2.

I wondered if there was some asymmetric stuff going on, but I don’t think so, I think it was a 343. The front three rotated at times I think. Here’s a positional average map which seems to confirm that:

Did Davies push forward that much? Thought it was more a 4 with 2 tucked in fullbacks

Back
Top Bottom