Forget about star strikers for a minute... How about CBs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Obviously we need a star striker, but I think the more immediate concern is who's going to replace our wounded horses (King and Dawson) after they're both pulled out back and shot. As much as I hate to say, we can't rely on either for 2012/13.

I'd say we definitely make a bid for Vertonghen from Ajax. Start him alongside Kaboul, and rotate Caulker. I'd love to move in for another young CB, though. Any thoughts?

Re: Forget about star strikers for a minute... How about CB

Clark from villa, he's got potential if played and nurtured correctly

I don't know - the trouble is we have some exceptional centre backs, on their day, trouble is consistency - and you can only get that if you are regularly playing and can work as a unit.

Personally I think we should be building around Kaboul.

Gallas is good, but is starting to show is age and is prone to having a bad game is doesn't have much pace. He should go in summer
King, I would try and keep on a play as you play, or player coach/role - but he should no longer be relied upon in big games, unless really needed. He is off the pace and as much as we all love him and his spirit, the second half of this season has started to get to him. Maybe he is just out of form, and I will be proved wrong, but I can see him struggling more and more to compete.

Dawson - Again, can be great, and he does shout and organise, however he is equally prone to stupid mistakes. Hopefully when he is injury free he can pick up form. Perhaps we have outgrown him, but then we have a couple of months like we have had and i'm sure we would have been thankful for having dawson starting, or at least available

Bassong - Think his time has been and past. we have outgrown him

Caulker - is looking great. I'm sure we have high hopes that he can come in to the team like Walker did this season. Personally I think it would be brave to put him straight in alongside Kaboul, but again we have little else to lose and I wouldnt want to see him end up 4th choice centre back and just sit on the bench not learning or progressing.

I would say

Kaboul Caulker/Dawson

King and Caulker/Dawson as back-up

I haven't even mentioned Nelsen or Khumalo
I have a feeling Nelsen will stay and will be played alongside Caulker in Cup games, particularly if we end up in Europa League

Also, Vertonghen has been and gone if we don't finish in top 4
Same with Hazard, Leandro etc

Kaboul and Caulker will be our main partnership next season with Dawson backing them up. Then with Benny and and Walker as full backs, we will be fine. However we do need better cover across the back 4 for next season

Christ, I forgot about him...Never seen him play so can't say if he's worth getting a stiffy over

Uvini rapped at me on twitter, so I reckon he has a ballon d'or in his future.

Éperons said:
Uvini rapped at me on twitter, so I reckon he has a ballon d'or in his future.

Maybe after Benny wins a football trivia competition. :baeshock:

boneycrisp said:
Kaboul and Caulker will be our main partnership next season with Dawson backing them up. Then with Benny and and Walker as full backs, we will be fine. However we do need better cover across the back 4 for next season
I'd say it would be the other way round, Kaboul and Dawson with Caulker backing up.

As much as we say it every year, this summer is truly make or break. Levy needs to find a good manager, and quick. Only then can we rebuild the squad. It's quite possible that we are looking for strikers, centre backs and also replacements for one or two star players.

It's a summer I'm not looking forward to.....well other than laughing at that certain section of England fans who'll snap out of their delusion that Harry is the saviour once we have another poor show of it at the Euros.

He signed after the window shut so he can't play.

My understanding is that he is on trial and the final pen on paper will be done in the summer. He is here early so that he can prepare for the next season, learn a bit more of the language, get settled, meet his team mates etc

Not sure we will see him next season or whether he'll go out on loan

I don't even believe we'll sign him, his trial should be up now if the official Spurs site is anything to go by.

At the end of the day I don't want to see another promising player take's his trade elsewhere without getting a far chance.

I would personally go with Caulker and Kaboul to start with.

I don't think Dawson's days are over by a long shot though, we can't afford to lose 3 centre backs this summer.

Dawson is good back up but not good enough to be first choice. He lacks pace, can get turned easily makes errors. He's good in the air and 100% committed but we need better

There was one point when Drogba and King were battling in out in slow motion at the corner of our box.....looked like a veterans game. I just thought to myself "thank fuck Drogba's old".

Sad, but its time to renew.

As has been mentioned though, if we dont make top 4, alot of our targets become unrealistic

Forget about Uvini - he's nowhere near ready to be a first team player in the Prem. A 'one good youth tournament' player is all he is at the moment.

Caulker will be a great addition next year but defence is less about personnel than it is about organisation. See Roger Johnson for a decent player in a defensively organised/focused team, vs. Roger Johnson at Wolves.

If we want our defence to improve then we have to accept that our attack will change. No more trying to press teams back into their 'third' for 90 mins, while exposing huge gaps between our midfield and defence. Teams have worked us out - know that all they need to do is defend competently in numbers and then hit us on the break.

sammyspurs said:
There was one point when Drogba and King were battling in out in slow motion at the corner of our box.....looked like a veterans game. I just thought to myself "thank fuck Drogba's old".

Sad, but its time to renew.

As has been mentioned though, if we dont make top 4, alot of our targets become unrealistic

I remember that, it was hilarious.

Drogba obviously also knew that Gallas was his bitch from playing against him in training at Chelsea before, a few times he bullied him one on one.

Burko said:
boneycrisp said:
I'd say it would be the other way round, Kaboul and Dawson with Caulker backing up.

But Dawson is always injured sadly, otherwise I would have your suggestion everytime, but then there is apart of me that reckons Caulker is going to be another Walker, which will just be amazing

Even Newcastle want Vertonghen though they wont get him even if they finish 4th where as if Spurs finish 4th they have a chance but i'm sure we'll still seal that deal.

Back
Top Bottom