Flop of the Season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, Verts rightly won Player of the Season in mine and many others' eyes. But, who for you was the biggest disappointment?

For me, it's gotta be Llorente. Thought he'd come in handy during the season but was so anonymous that in hindsight I'd rather Janssen had stayed.

Llorente would win this vote ive no doubt. But i think he do not have a proper chance and whem we played him, we bizzarely not playing to his strength.
Wanyama, Rose has been hit by persistence injury.
Considering people tend to choose an everpresent player as POTY. I think we should choose one that is having a disappointing season to given the appropriate time they got on the pitch.

My vote would be Eric Dier. I love defenders and i always like him and have high expectation for him especially after breakthrough season on CM position.
But this season i do not recall one game i really am excited by him. A bit shaky as CB. And a often non present as CM. We rely on Dembele too much in that area.
That is why we lose those games against MU and Juve home, those points dropped latelt. he is not playing well.

Which is why everybody seemed to agree we are in dire needs of an CM

How can Llorente be a flop when he barely played?

5 goals and 1 assist in 900 minutes played, which works out at about 10 or so games.

tenor.gif

The flop of the season was Aurier.

No two ways about it. We spent a lot of money on him and we should have got better. I am one of Aurier's fans and he has quite a few on here who think with pre-season, coaching and some consistent game time he will get better but this season is a write off for him.

Wanyama was fucking shit - but at least he had an injury and Winks, Dembele and Dier to contend with in central midfield. Again, he only started 12 games in all competitions this season.

Last edited:
I am not writing him off by any means yet, just to be clear. I really hope that he comes out next year and is a real force for us, but in terms of what I could consider that constitutes a "flop", I think that Aurier is my choice.

LLorente wasn't good by any means, but he wasn't brought in to be anything else than an experienced backup that we could use as a safety net. On the other hand, Aurier was brought in with a boatload of promise and excitement but never really demonstrated it except for maybe a couple of performances. He was error prone, seemed a little out of control at times, and never really offered that spark that we needed when we lost Walker.

I really hope he shows us his potential next year, but he's easily been the biggest "flop" for me this year.

I'd say Aurier was the big flop of the season.
Consistent card liability in defense- check.
Turning over possession on illegal throw-ins, multiple times- check.

He was advertised as "knowing how to win" having come from PSG.
Unfortunately, knowing how to win means tightening your performance to not give away dumb cards and to minimize turnovers. In a contest of highly competitive teams, often the difference is on margins between such seemingly trivial stats, and in that sense, Aurier was just plain bad.

Good news is that these things are coachable and I think he can turn it around next season. Buckets of athleticism and a decent enough set of skills in his boots, it's up to him to shore up his weak points so that he can be a better team contributor for us (and himself).

Yeah agree with most of the above comments
Llorrente was tragic when he played but hardly played enough to deserve that tag
I remember seeing Aurier on his debut against dortmund and he was fantastic
But hasnt really pushed on this year

Re: Aurier - I agree that he's probably the one to point as a flop, in a similar way that Lamela was a flop during his first season. We expected a like-for-like replacement of a 2016-17 Walker in Aurier, and what we had was closer to a 2013-14 Walker: atheltic & speedy but rash in challenges and prone to brain-fart moments. However I'm not too worried about him like many of the comments above. Poch has a knack of getting the best out of fullbacks especially, and he will coach Aurier to be better at his game.

I'm more disappointed towards Rose, actually: he was so dominant and imperious last season, which adds to the fact that he's been country miles off the 2016-17 Rose we remember so fondly. His interview with the Sun has also soured many of our sentiment towards him, too (including mine). If Sessegnon does arrive, that would be the end of his time in a spurs shirt. Hoping for Fullham to be knocked out of the promotion playoffs..

Other than the two, can't think of a player who's played below expectation so much to be a flop in my book - a slight concern towards Wanyama & Lamela for their post-injury struggles, Winks for his reoccurring ankle injury, and Lloris for his gradual dip in his athleticism required for a sweeper keeper. Personally I didn't expect much out of Sissoko & Llorente from the beginning, so I won't call them flops; we'll need to move them on to upgrade our squad, though.

Agree with most of the above, has to be Aurier for me unfortunately. Really was so excited when we signed him, I've thought he's class since I first saw him play at the World Cup in 2014 and thought for once we had actually replaced a departing player with a like for like, world class talent. Massively disappointing, but like many others I am confident he will improve.

Yeah probably Aurier the main contender, but even then that’s a bit harsh. He had some really good games for us as well. My concern is that he doesn’t appear that bright, and repeats mistakes. Poch whispering in his ear all summer should help. His ceiling is high

Fucking hell, 3rd place away from him and we’re looking for flops!!

Also, those picking people who are in their first year.... give them a chance to settle in!

Have we turned into a club that demands people instantly demand people hit the ground and be amazing successes.

Back
Top Bottom