Financial Fair Play

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was 81% in 2023 apparently.

(Very much) on the high side.
I guess they’re really gambling on increased revenues through Europe (Champions League). If they get there, I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.
If they don’t, they’ll be in trouble.

20/21 £37.3m loss
21/22 £0.4m profit
22/23 £119.6m loss

Total £156.5m loss - £51.5m over the £105m threshold, before adjustments for youth football etc. so might squeeze inside the £105m maximum after adjustments

The 22/23 loss is going to be a problem for the next few years though

Owners pumping in cash through

Do we know how much of this was on ‘net player trading’ (transfer fees) or what their wages/revenue ratio is?

Not sure it matters, if I have understood correctly, they are only supposed to make an operating loss of £105 per 3 year accounting period. Posting 119 loss in one year means they must balance that out over the accounting years 1-3 that this year will form part.

Not sure it matters, if I have understood correctly, they are only supposed to make an operating loss of £105 per 3 year accounting period. Posting 119 loss in one year means they must balance that out over the accounting years 1-3 that this year will form part.

Yup - operating losses of less than £105m over 3 years, but they are allowed to make adjustments for several factors such as youth football, womens football etc.

20/21 £37.3m loss
I think that’s a COVID period which means it’s treated differently. Not sure how — but wasn’t there some relief for 19/20/21? Perhaps you can let post the rules relating to these two seasons? I honestly don’t know how they affect the rolling period.
Posting 119 loss in one year means they must balance that out over the accounting years 1-3 that this year will form part.
I think they’re going to be able to bring that down with exclusions. The only contracts they have expiring at the end of 24 are Zaniolo and Lenglet. Callum Chambers in 25. The nucleus of their squad is tied down.
If they make UCL, they’ll have additional wiggle room for a (cheap ish? ) signing/loan or two next year. My only concern is how 19-21 affects the numbers.

I like to think I have a degree of business acumen but can anyone explain why investing in a football club is a good idea?

How the hell can a loss that villa recorded be in line with strategic objectives? All for a gamble on champions league money? Crazy.

Us and a couple of other clubs aside , all I hear is losses being reported and it’s worse as you drop down the leagues.

I like to think I have a degree of business acumen but can anyone explain why investing in a football club is a good idea?

How the hell can a loss that villa recorded be in line with strategic objectives? All for a gamble on champions league money? Crazy.

Us and a couple of other clubs aside , all I hear is losses being reported and it’s worse as you drop down the leagues.

View: https://x.com/kieranmaguire/status/1764914698552594729?s=46&t=2zh9XEBAuaOqWiGaQshTyA

20/21 £37.3m loss
21/22 £0.4m profit
22/23 £119.6m loss

Total £156.5m loss - £51.5m over the £105m threshold, before adjustments for youth football etc. so might squeeze inside the £105m maximum after adjustments

The 22/23 loss is going to be a problem for the next few years though

Owners pumping in cash through

Scum losses for comparison

View: https://x.com/swissramble/status/1764558985191903324?s=61&t=lOJ_HDnbTWvSuVGs5km_Hg

I guess the American owners look at nfl profits and cost of buying MLS and see value. They believe they can squeeze more revenues and cut costs in the future

I would argue because those top 3/4 clubs earned their money. United under Busby and Fergie built a huge legacy and with a massive fans base they can generate big revenue, it's organic.

The difference between United/Liverpool and say Chelsea /City is United is like a 100m runner who trains hard and has all the natural talent, Chelsea are like a guy who takes massive amounts of steroids, it’s one giant fake act.
If City do the treble for the next 3 years they still won’t be as big as United. History counts for more than a few Arab shekels. Could City fill Old Trafford, only with tourists.

I guess the American owners look at nfl profits and cost of buying MLS and see value. They believe they can squeeze more revenues and cut costs in the future
Own a premier lge club and suddenly everybody knows who you are. Who had heard of Todd Boehly before Chelsea. Don’t think many had heard of Irving Scholar apart from us Back in the 80s.

Own a premier lge club and suddenly everybody knows who you are. Who had heard of Todd Boehly before Chelsea. Don’t think many had heard of Irving Scholar apart from us Back in the 80s.
That's for the non US owners imo (mainly will be some who fall into other category). The villa owners have chosen to fly under the radar in the main.

In terms of spending, it's not a 'Big 6'.

It's a 'Big 5'.

And I'm not saying that as a dig. Our historical spending is much more aligned to those below us as opposed to those above.
Trad Big 5 occupy the top 5 non psy-op spots and 2 of the oil clubs stole the CL money which would bring us and Everton much closer. Trad Big 5 will have very close to the 5 biggest grounds after Everton move too.

Back
Top Bottom