Favourite and Worst Signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

honestly my favorite signing to date would be bobby soldado, because hes a known proven goalscorer. there was no feeling of will he wont he. u just know hes top quality.

least favorite has to be Ricardo Rocha. the man was a disaster. enough said

Worst: Bentley - apart from that goal against the scum.
Best: Bale - look at what a player he developed into!

Worst: there's been too many. It's between Rasiak, Bentley, Bent and Helder Postiga for me.
Best: Aaron Lennon. The value for money we got there is unbelievable. With Hugo Lloris a close second.

Raisak for worst
Best Bale without question.

But this is from the benefit of hindsight. At the time I'd say the signings I was most happy about were Sheringham and Klinsmann (both on their returns) and I never really thought we had made a bad signing at the time the player was announced since I didn't always know everything about them. Maybe Frazier Campbell at a push, but that was probably more because of the shadow he was walking in under.

I hate having to keep to one, but the best has to be Ginola, just from a purely personal, girly view. But a special mention in terms of value for money for Gary Mabbutt, one hell of a guy. I still have some old video tapes and the other day I watched him on This is Your Life, he was truly a magnificent player and a complete gentleman. I have met him on a few occasions and he is the genuine article.
Worst - quite a few to choose from - but plumping for Rebrov, in terms of disappointment - promised so much, delivered so little.

Worst - Chris Armstrong - Seems harsh as he scored a few goals but this transfer always pissed me off. He cost 4.5 million which was a huge figure back then and his talent never justified it. Everyone at the time thought we were massively overpaying for him. I remember Sheringham making his feelings on the transfer pretty clear. lol

Best - Crouch - Yeah I know, not actually our best signing but it was his header that put us into the champions league at Man City and his goal that beat AC Milan at the San Siro. Two of my best Spurs memories. How many other signings provided moments like that?

Worst - Chris Armstrong - Seems harsh as he scored a few goals but this transfer always pissed me off. He cost 4.5 million which was a huge figure back then and his talent never justified it. Everyone at the time thought we were massively overpaying for him. I remember Sheringham making his feelings on the transfer pretty clear. lol

Best - Crouch - Yeah I know, not actually our best signing but it was his header that put us into the champions league at Man City and his goal that beat AC Milan at the San Siro. Two of my best Spurs memories. How many other signings provided moments like that?

I appreciate your Armstrong thing. It was our response to the scum signing Berkgamp and was the start of us falling behind. Well the season after iirc. But. But he did score a great goal against the scum that season and we beat them for the first time in ages. The last time we finished above them.

I love Crouchy too. But cannot see how he was our best signing in anyones world.

Just purely based on how I felt when first hearing of the transfer:
Best - Klinsmann. Was a world class player at the time, huge name for us to sign. Turned up at the first presser wearing diving goggles too, loved that.
Worst - Close to saying Les Ferdinand, just for the fact he was replacing Teddy and we'd been linked with a straight swap with Newcastle involving both players not long before and I was so relieved when we rejected it. Then fast forward a few months and we sold Teddy for £2m and bought Les for £6m. Couldn't fathom it, in fairness Les was okay but not up to Teddy's standard.

But I think the worst/most underwhelming signing ever was Ryan Nelsen. We had a chance to push on, we were still in touching distance of the top in January. And we go and sign a defender who couldn't get in Blackburn's team, on their way to relegation. Wasn't the worst player ever but was well below what we needed.

Best signing: Robbie Keane (the first time) In my time of following Spurs he was probably the first signing that made me think that we could take us from a mid-table team to a Wafer Cup team

Worst Signing has to be Hossam Ghali. I think he was the first Spurs player (not former) that angered me for that time he threw the spurs shirt on the ground. What an absolute tosser

Best signing: Has to be Lennon. So good for so long. So productive and so well liked. Great value for money

close second signing: Rafa - It was so fun watching him play. Most talented on ball player i've ever seen at Tottenham (not awhile). He was/is special.

Last edited:
Best signing: Has to be Lennon. So good for so long. So productive and so well liked. Great value for money

Worst signing: Rafa - It was so fun watching him play. Most talented on ball player i've ever seen at Tottenham (not awhile). He was/is special.
Why is he the worst signing? Am I missing something.. All positive things......

Worst signing: Rafa - It was so fun watching him play. Most talented on ball player i've ever seen at Tottenham (not awhile). He was/is special.
Rafa as in VdV? He will never be our worst signing...dude was class

Back
Top Bottom