Favourite and Worst Signings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I heard this on Talkshite today and it got me a thinking.

Who would be yours? The only requisite is you have had to see them live and been signed when you remember supporting the Spurs. For instance I would love to say Greaves or Hoddle but I wasn't around for their signings.

My favourite would be Ginola. I'm not sure he was better or more effective than Lineker or Gazza but my goodness he brightened up a very shit team and he did things with a ball I would never believe if I hadn't seen it live.

My worst signing is dear Ade.

I've only been following for 10 years, but my favorite was Modric just because I've always followed the Croatian national team and Modric was already one of my favorite players before we came in for him. I am not as big a fan of his leaving though.

Postiga would be my least favorite

Good call

I remember Gazza signing as if it was yesterday. Was so excited to know we had beaten Manchester United to him and that the best player in England wanted to play for us, and if I remember, we had beaten the transfer record with it which made me even more proud.
One of footballs last great characters and it breaks my heart to see my hero as he is now.

Tramezzani worst. Ive ranted about the useless muppet before.
Loved Gazza, for all the reasons that Bumchin has said above, but for me. Klinsmann was the best. A genuine world star. at that point, one of the biggest names in world football. and we got in, made the bid, and got him without anyone else finding out till it was done. the way transfers used to be, before twatter and facebook
That signing took that season from one of utter despair (no FA Cup, the points deduction) to thinking we might stay up and get away with it

Worst Postiga - cost us £8mill, did naff all for Spurs and then knocked England out the Euro 2004 quarterfinals
Best Hoddle

Gotta edit as Hoddles not a signing
Best Klinsmann - scored on his debut, dived, won me over and bagged a shedload more for the season. There are more committed and long term signing like Greaves and Mabbutt, but Greaves was way before my time, and that year with Jurgen was a blast

Last edited:
worst - Frasier Campbell - on the day we sold Berbatov we signed this useless peice of shit, it really was kicking a man when he's down. All his comments were based around "I'm just using Tottenham to earn a place at United". He'd scored a few goals at Hull in the Championship the year before and thought he could replace Berbatov. He was, and still is, shit.

Favorite - Klinsmann, without any hesitation

The most excited I've been about a signing was Rebrov. He was fucking mustard for Kiev.
Worst signing was Rasiak. I saw a you tube of him scoring an amazing goal and though he could be good. Jesus wept.

Hmmmm now we are going on to Favourite, I would be stuck with Gazza(a above) Klinsmann Ginola, King etc but my award would go to Gary Mabbutt. May not be the most charismatic or talented by fuck me he had the heart of a lion and bled lilywhite

Right now I'm just feeling insanely petty and flippant about Bale.

So, I'm going to say that our best ever signing is Erik Lamela, and the worst signing that Spurs ever made was Bale.
but still pretty awesome. :klinsmann:

Hmmmm now we are going on to Favourite, I would be stuck with Gazza(a above) Klinsmann Ginola, King etc but my award would go to Gary Mabbutt. May not be the most charismatic or talented by fuck me he had the heart of a lion and bled lilywhite

Graham Roberts would have to be up there for an award too.

Lovely fella with it as well.
I used to work for a large management consultancy, which did all of HP's uk PR. Back when we first had HP as sponsors (and pony kits..I saw the two contracts come in with kit diagrams etc. Proper ITK ;) ), I managed to blag a gig helping the photographer out on team photo day, simply by telling the woman that was running the HP side of things that I knew who was popular with the support etc (so she asked me to come and help out). Mabbutt made a point of wishing everyone that was there a good morning introducing himself, signed a few shirts for the various HP & Pony bods to take home, and so on. Came across as a really nice, genuine man.
when he shook my hand I was like
:
tumblr_m4el8nsje91qihztbo1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom