Fa Cup fifth round- rochdale afc v tottenham hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really think that players like Vorm, Rose, KWP, Toby, Foyth, Wanyama, Winks, Lucas, Lamela should all start. True that Lamela had a full game, but still he has not played much - still like around 600 minutes. We might need him in the spring run-in and getting more games at this point should help to build sharpness.

At the same time players like Lloris, Davies, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Kane should all rest this one. Trippier, Aurier, Sissoko, Son, Llorente could be utilized according to need- can play but don't HAVE to start. Sissoko and Llorente because... well let's just say they hopefully don't have to be relied upon on + Sissoko has quite some playing time already. Trippier and Aurier have got quite some playing time and resting should not hurt while KWP rly needs it. And I would use Son in the cup because he has been really good and did not start against Juve.

So my line-up would be -

-------------Vorm----------
KWP-Toby-Foyth-Rose
---Wanyama-Winks-----
-Sissoko-Lamela-Lucas-
-------------Son-------------

Or alternatively -
-------------Vorm----------
KWP-Toby-Foyth-Rose
---Wanyama-Winks-----
-Lucas---Lamela--Son-
----------Llorente----------

Is it weird that I'm starting to get more spooked by this kind of match than, say, United at home?

One of my only criticisms of the Poch era is a seeming lack of, I don't know... motivation... against lower league opposition in the cups. We know that our squad will be well up for a top six matchup, or a Champions League game, but not necessarily a fixture like this.

I'm not naive - I know that the club (and likely therefore the players) don't place much value in the Caribao or FA cups from a financial, and ergo club growth, standpoint.

But by now it must be obvious how thirsty we are as a fanbase to get some silverwear under this wonderful squad/manager's belt - not to mention the media narrative of 'oh but they've won nothing' constantly being repeated.

Fergie's United didn't fuck around against the 'lesser' teams in the cups, and I don't want us to either. That Newport performance away was fucking dreadful.

Are we really expecting a slip up?
With total respect to Rochdale-win all day for me. We are on form and looking better with every game. Even with some changes we will be too strong. The incentive is last 8 and from that point the competition is there to win. COYS

not being funny but if our bench can't win a game like this they should be ashamed of themselves. Personally I would love us to win the FA Cup but we need to rest and protect players. The Woolwich and Juve games would have taken their toll – they deserve a rest, I hope no one is risked as top four needs to be our priority as unglamorous as that sounds.

I think we should change every player from juve, after the emotion and drain physically of the game, don't think they will be right for Rochdale, it allow the fringe players to prove a point, and they are also fresh and need game time. If they can't show up against bottom of league 1, then they shouldn't play for Spurs, a great opportunity to impress, especially in such a competitive squad, might not get many other chances.

There’s far too much concern about this match. It’s actually a very good break from the pressure of the PL and CL. We can field a strong side albeit with a couple of changes. We need to keep our core side ticking over and match sharp. Some players do need protecting from a fitness perspective, such as Dembele, but I’d be surprised if we go completely second string. For match-going fans, this is a unique highlight for the season. I expect a cracking away day and a comfortable victory. 0-4.

I am surprised by all this resting talk. I honestly can't see Kane not starting. Yes we will change it around a bit but let's not go overboard.

It is not only about resting starters.
It is two way street with giving players match practice so that if we at some point need to use them, they would be of help. If you just let Wanyama rot on the bench and then need to recall him into middle of things without sufficient practice he will be off-beat. Same might happen with whoever (Son/Llorente) we see as main Kane substitute (I know, Son gets lot of playing time but if he is our main substitution then he needs some practice playing uptop as well).

It is not only about resting starters.
It is two way street with giving players match practice so that if we at some point need to use them, they would be of help. If you just let Wanyama rot on the bench and then need to recall him into middle of things without sufficient practice he will be off-beat. Same might happen with whoever (Son/Llorente) we see as main Kane substitute (I know, Son gets lot of playing time but if he is our main substitution then he needs some practice playing uptop as well).
If Kane doesn't play then he will have not played for two weeks. To me he is a guaranteed starter. Dembele should not play. He needs a rest. I think we should change things around a bit. Moura, Son should play for example. However, what is the point of playing Llorente?

We should not have lost that game and it set us back a bit.

If it just about coming 2nd or 3rd, about doing well in the Champions League but not winning it and churning income alone then lets treat the match with disdain.

If maybe the idea of winning a trophy and giving fans a few bragging rights then maybe Pochettino and the players will recognise the need to get into the next round at the first attempt and pick the best team to do it without overloading the starting line-up.

When we win something maybe arrogance can jump in.
We'd have had to beat Woolwich away, Chelsea over two legs, and then City in the final even if we'd got past West Ham. It was annoying to lose at the time but in hindsight that would've been a very difficult trophy for us to win this year anyway.

We'd have had to beat Woolwich away, Chelsea over two legs, and then City in the final even if we'd got past West Ham. It was annoying to lose at the time but in hindsight that would've been a very difficult trophy for us to win this year anyway.
Yes it was annoying, just not the full blown disaster some would have you believe. With the Cup, the CL and top 4 going on it would have been a pain in the arse.

Back
Top Bottom