Everton - Spurs - Feb 3rd - 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's right.

The law makes sense, otherwise a player could simply step off the pitch to make an attacker offside.

I suppose you could introduce some idea of whether they did it deliberately or not, but that would open a whole new can of worms. In any event,

Can't remember it ever being an issue before in a goal.
I seem to remember being told that the back of the net was part of the field of play, too.
A forward standing there could be given offside and a defender there could be regarded as playing him onside.
Once played in a game where the Ref gave offside for this, cue mayhem.

I seem to remember being told that the back of the net was part of the field of play, too.
A forward standing there could be given offside and a defender there could be regarded as playing him onside.
Haha, we all know that there's only one Premier League team who would ever have a goal disallowed for that!

:ange-facepalm:

I hadn't noticed how rough the pitch was until they showed an injured player late in the game. It was in terrible condition and not noticeable from the standard overhead camera angle. Probably all part of the Goodison advantage. Disrupt the more skilled sides passing, while having no impact on set pieces that they rely on.
Yeah, that's when I noticed it, like you say probably why they play so many long balls!

The commentators made a point of confirming that Richarlison still counted even though he had gone beyond the goal line, can't remember the reasoning, maybe something to do with not having been directed off the pitch by the referee so he was still officially in play or something.

That's right.

The law makes sense, otherwise a player could simply step off the pitch to make an attacker offside.

I suppose you could introduce some idea of whether they did it deliberately or not, but that would open a whole new can of worms. In any event,

Can't remember it ever being an issue before in a goal.

Ok that makes sense. Sort of what I thought after looking at the laws of the game on the IFAB website. The goal net area is definitely part of the pitch according to the pitch dimensions. Although I don’t think the goal would have been ruled out if Richie was properly on the field and the Everton player was in the back of the net. Just one of those things I suppose. (Not Harrison the one who was in the back of the net with Richie).

lol just realised what I wrote above . Of course the goal wouldn’t have been ruled out. The other Everton player wasn’t interfering with play.

Last edited:
I wasn't really blaming Vic, just that he's been so good this season, I was suprised when the ball ended up in the net.
We shouldn't have given away a free kick in that position, and yeah, Romero should've also done better with the header.
I don’t even think Vicario was to blame, just unlucky circumstance. Romero has a mistimed header, forgive him that he’s a fabulous player for us. The defenders and esp Ange need to sort out this problem with teams ‘fouling/blocking’ Vicario though.

As good as Romero is, I don't think his heading is the strongest part of his game, he was unlucky though, I thought it was an own goal at first, but on another day it also could easily have gone wide, over the bar or straight to Vicario.
The defenders definitely need to help Vic out at corners, blocking or fouling him seems to be a tactic by other teams all of a sudden!

As good as Romero is, I don't think his heading is the strongest part of his game, he was unlucky though, I thought it was an own goal at first, but on another day it also could easily have gone wide, over the bar or straight to Vicario.
The defenders definitely need to help Vic out at corners, blocking or fouling him seems to be a tactic by other teams all of a sudden!
Seems to have started after the City game, teams like Brentford and Everton can’t really score in open play so they copy Dias’ s ploy.

I don’t even think Vicario was to blame, just unlucky circumstance. Romero has a mistimed header, forgive him that he’s a fabulous player for us. The defenders and esp Ange need to sort out this problem with teams ‘fouling/blocking’ Vicario though.
Why havent we put someone between vic and the attacker by now? Its a bit negligent on coaches part

I think we were outfought and outmuscled in midfield. We need sarr. Plus even though biss form dipped a little hes still vital in winning back ball in midfield. And playing out.
Our midfield on sat had 2 players back after long term injury and 1 who works hard but doesnt have the ball playing skills

Back
Top Bottom