Everton - Home

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Arguably at fault for both goals, quite sloppy at other times too. Personally felt the assist covered up a pretty flawed game.

As I replied above, I don't agree with that at all. Neither the fault for both goals nor the flawed game thing. Along with Parker Walker and Siggy he was our best player going forward IMO.

Lloris 7 (Soft 1st goal, keep should never get betten there)
Walker 8 (His best game of the season, out played Bains....GET IN!)
Dawson 5 (Another uncomfortable performance.........Come on Daws!!!)
Caulker 5
Vertonghen 4 (Two very poor performaces in a row, has someone drugged him?)
Parker 6
Dembele 8 (Totally bossed it first half, Everton put 2 on him in 2nd half but strangly we couldn't find the space) our MOTM
Holtby 7 (His best performace in a Lillywhite shirt, keep it going son)
Dempsey 4 (Our WORST player in our team all season long)
Adebayor 8 (Probably is BEST EVER Tottenham performance?)
Sigurdsson 7

What pleased me about today was our spirt, it looked like we wanted it today. What worried me about today was our deffence, I don't understand what has caused this drop off form from them, with the exception of Wallker we looked very shaky, like an old Tottenham deffence, not the one we have been whatching since the Everton away game.

As I replied above, I don't agree with that at all. Neither the fault for both goals nor the flawed game thing. Along with Parker and Siggy he was our best player going forward IMO.

Parker :lloris:

I honestly thought Parker was more hindrance than help in the final third. Twice he got into fantastic positions in the box - once on the right and once on the left - and his lack of vision totally blew the chance to find a teammate.

As for Vertonghen - the first goal was a foul, but he was flat-footed and caught under the ball. For the second he was ball-watching as Mirallas burst past him - he should have stopped it at source essentially.

Personally I thought Vertonghen had a fantastic March - easily his most consistent month of the season so far - but I thought he was our worst player against Basel, and well under-par again today.

Could he be getting tired? He has played in most games this season I believe. Plus it's his first season in the prem which I imagine is a lot more intense than the eredivisie. Especially if you we're playing in one of the very top teams there.

Could easily just be a couple of dodgy games which happens to the best players, but it would make sense

Lloris 6.5
Walker 7.
Dawson 5.5
Caulker 5 .3
Vertonghen 5.6
Parker 6
Dembele 7.6
Holtby6.9
Dempsey 3, awful
Adebayor 8 (Probably is BEST EVER Tottenham performance?)
Sigurdsson 7

Parker :lloris:

I honestly thought Parker was more hindrance than help in the final third. Twice he got into fantastic positions in the box - once on the right and once on the left - and his lack of vision totally blew the chance to find a teammate.

Parker was a typo from me. I meant Walker, as my ratings would suggest. My pardons.

I'm surprised the amount of stick Parker is getting since he's been back from injury.

OK he gives the ball away probably more than others but it shouldn't be up to him to drive the play forward and look for special passes - the difference is, he steps up and takes it on. Players like Dempsey make completely safe passes all too often and either have no impact on general play or just generally don't offer as much. Parker puts his body on the line every game, trying to halt the other teams attacks and then does his best to get us going up the other end when really, its not his game.

It would be nice if the likes of Dempsey would put as much effort into what they are supposed to be good at, let alone what they aren't.

As for Vertonghen - the first goal was a foul, but he was flat-footed and caught under the ball.

As I mentioned above, that chronology is not quite true.

He is backing for the jump, then gets fouled and thus cannot jump. Replays show it quite clearly. What exactly should he had done differently? I just cannot see it. If an opposition player gets away with pushing and climbing you before you can jump, what exactly should you do?

For the second he was ball-watching as Mirallas burst past him - he should have stopped it at source essentially.

So should Caulker and arguably Parker. Why the focus on JV? He was not the first to let him slip (Parker was, "source") or the last (that was Caulker) or the 'worst'/most crucial (Caulker too).

He should have gone further inside, a good 5-6 yards and showed KM wide (IMHO) but he didn't, one error amongst several in the sequence leading to the goal. I agree completely on that, but not on the focus on Vertonghen, which I do not quite see the agenda of?

Oh well. A game of opinions.

Match ratings in here

Adebayor: 7 best game this season though still looks unfit and sluggish

pretty harsh comments in my view. Adebayor was always pressing and trying to cause errors when Everton were bringing the ball out of defense, plus he was running into great spaces to receive the ball and lay it off. Deserved to get a second goal and I definitely feel he's getting his mojo back. Would you still have given him a 7 if his shot didnt hit the post and instead went in? I think he was an 8/10 easy.

Lloris - 7 - some crucial saves, could have done better with the first

Walker - 7 - very good game
Caulker - 6 - ok
Dawson - 5 - few shaky moments
Verts - 6 - mixed bag

Sig - 7 - worked his socks off
Dembele - 7 - never stopped running
Parker - 6 - decent
Holtby - 7 - much improved performance

Dempsey - 4 - shockorama
Ade - 7 - excellent effort

Hudd - 6 - some neat passes

Lloris - 7

Walker - 8
Dawson - 6.5
Caulker - 6
Vertonghen - 7

Sigurdsson - 7
Parker - 6
Dembele - 6
Holtby - 6.5

Dempsey - 3
Adebayor - 7

Subs:
Huddlestone - 6.5
Carroll - 6

pretty harsh comments in my view. Adebayor was always pressing and trying to cause errors when Everton were bringing the ball out of defense, plus he was running into great spaces to receive the ball and lay it off. Deserved to get a second goal and I definitely feel he's getting his mojo back. Would you still have given him a 7 if his shot didnt hit the post and instead went in? I think he was an 8/10 easy.

That is why I gave him a 7, one of my highest ratings!

My comments about his fitness was pure observations. Areas where he still has room for improvements before he is back to his previous good form, so to speak :) Is that negative? I think of it as a rationalisation of why he still isn't even better than he was yesterday! Did you read the part where I said it was probably his best game this season? :)

Goals always contribute to the rating of players, so yes, probably.

I think my rating of 7 was very fair. It is two grades above 5, which is the average grade without being particulary poor or good. Personally I consider 10 to be a world-class, all conquering performance out of this world. 7 seems fair in a game where the player did well, scored a goal and could have another one, but where the opposition defence also had him strictly under control most of the time no matter whether he went wide, deep or held a high position.

Oh well, all about opinions I suppose :)

Btw, I am one of the fans of Ade, who thinks he has so much to add, who think we can - barely - play without him just now and who is convinced he will be even better, despite all the jibes about AFC, ANC and his body language. Just for the record.

I find it weird that, on the day we had the least width we've fielded in a while, Ade tended to stay more central. Definitely a boon for the team though.

I was surprised to see AVB go with Jan at left back, I could of understood his decision more if they had Fellaini available and he wanted a big back 4 to combat Fellaini and Anichebe's aerial threat. Jan looked out of sorts and like many of you say, he got caught for the first goal. You have to expect to be climbed on, but he was under the ball and flat on his heels, having said that, some fucker needs to be bossing that 6 yard box, not one player managed to put a good block on Anichebe which meant he was able to get in the way of Hugo and stop him coming, fuck him off out of it!! 2nd goal again Jan caught, didn't see the player on his blind side. Having said that he scrapes a 6 in my rating, just because he does some tidy work and good runs going forward.

I really want to praise Scotty P, I love his attitude and his work ethic, BUT unfortunately he was wasteful in posession AGAIN and he slowed us down at times, I love the way Dembele moves and gets us going forward, not his greatest game, but he looks like making something happen when he bursts. WE MISS SANDRO!

I'm surprised at some of the low ratings for Lewis Holtby, thought he played well, always an option, shuts down tirelessly and always looking to hit the 18 yard box.

Ade was very good and nice to see him put a solid performance in. There are times he still can't trap a bag of cement though!!

We miss that man getting beyond their back 4 though, which means we run out of ideas and teams can bank up against us, but with no Lennon, Defoe or Bale your direct pace has gone.

If we are in a position like that again needing a goal with no Bale and Lennon I think shifting Walker to right wing, just for the meantime would be a good option, at least it means we have someone to hit the by-line.

Encouraging appearance from Hudds when he came on too, good distribution, my concern is he doesn't get about the pitch enough and from the start he'd fade out.

Llloris 7
Walker 9
Caulker 5
Dawson 6
Jan 6
Dempsey -13
Parker 5
Dembele 6
Siggy 8
Holtby 7
Ade 8

Lloris - 6

Walker - 7
Dawson - 6
Caulker - 6
Vertonghen - 6

Sigurdsson - 7
Parker - 5
Dembele - 6
Holtby - 6

Dempsey - 4*
Adebayor - 7

Subs:
Huddlestone - 7
Carroll - 6

*I'm changing my avatar when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom