Everton (H)- Doomsday?!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree. Despite all his calamities this season, and despite Naughton's relative error free performance last night, we missed Walker's bombing on against Basel.

Best tactic on Sunday is keeping Baines defending and Walker can at least do that

I agree.

Naughton was much worse than most I have seen from Walker earlier this season.

TBH I think Naughton needs another loan or to be sold off.

We will be fine for this game..having Sigg Holtby and Dempsey all starting will be fantastic to watch...yea we will miss some pace but all three of those guys are hungry and want to make an impact.

Just gotta make sure we stay tight in the back, hopefully get some early goals...and if Ade improves even slightly on the Basel match, this should be a solid win.

For the sake of everyone I'm never attempting to go to a game again. Chelsea rescheduled, Bale & Lennon injured...last year's 2-5 & man utd loss. I'm bad luck.

I'll be in block 35 spreading my mojo this weekend.

We will be fine for this game..having Sigg Holtby and Dempsey all starting will be fantastic to watch...yea we will miss some pace but all three of those guys are hungry and want to make an impact.

Just gotta make sure we stay tight in the back, hopefully get some early goals...and if Ade improves even slightly on the Basel match, this should be a solid win.

We really do have enough quality to beat them...on paper. I think we'll be fine though, at leas they don't have peeny & the thug.

:llorishuh:
:walkerwtf: :dawson: :vert: :baelol:
:parkerhmm: :carrollwtf:
:holtbytongue: :dembele: :gylfi:
:adegrin:

.... looks like a decent lineup ... hope this would be it ... but i wouldn't mind if:

1. caulker starts and verts at lb

or

2. dempsey starts ahead of siggy or holtby becuase i think the latter two are way better impact subs than dempsey ... especially holtby for the energy that he brings.

:coys:

I disagree. Despite all his calamities this season, and despite Naughton's relative error free performance last night, we missed Walker's bombing on against Basel.

Best tactic on Sunday is keeping Baines defending and Walker can at least do that
Not for me - Walker has been our worst player in the starting XI this season, and the thought of him 1 v 1 against Baines doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence. Walker needs a kick up the backside, and giving (the perfectly capable) Naughton some gametime will hopefully provide him with some motivation to turn around his dreadful form.

I say this, but it may be too late for this season - I think AvB should have benched Walker a long time ago.

I agree.

Naughton was much worse than most I have seen from Walker earlier this season.

TBH I think Naughton needs another loan or to be sold off.
Disagree completely - what has Naughton done to warrant another loan? I think he's capable of providing cover for bot full-back positions next season while making 15+ appearances

Who said naughton was error free .... ????

That is not true. He was partly , if not alot, responsible for the second goal. Albiet that slight deflection from verts, if Naughton stayed with his man ... the other team wouldn't have scored.

They pretty much got a free header. Look at the highlights.

As for Walker vs Naugton ... I agree wit sandiegoyidd .... against baines = walker.

Not for me - Walker has been our worst player in the starting XI this season, and the thought of him 1 v 1 against Baines doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence. Walker needs a kick up the backside, and giving (the perfectly capable) Naughton some gametime will hopefully provide him with some motivation to turn around his dreadful form.

I say this, but it may be too late for this season - I think AvB should have benched Walker a long time ago.

Looking to next season I think we've got to sell Nauhton. He's 24 and whilst his versatility is useful: Adam Smith has to be the back up right back and between Danny Rose (who's excelled at Sunderland) and the highly rated Fryers we should have cover on the left (whatever happens to BAE or he's replaced)

I'm developing an old-fashioned excitement about this game...
Unlike the Fulham game, where everyone in the stadium seemed to have turned up in arrogant expectation of a win (and to get out of the rain) whereas tomorrow, nothing is a given.
It's the jangling of nervous energy that CAN create the best atmosphere, it's make-or-break in some respects, as we'll get to see what the team is made of without two of our 3 candidates for player of the season (Vertonghen being the other imho)

If we win... It's ON! But If not, we're back in the realms of hoping for favours elsewhere and pinning our season on someone ELSE imploding more than we do... And that's never a good Plan B, just look at last season!
Let's not let it get to that stage again, for GAWD'S SAKE!!!

Disagree completely - what has Naughton done to warrant another loan? I think he's capable of providing cover for bot full-back positions next season while making 15+ appearances

Sold, it is then. As far as I can see, he is not sufficient of quality to provide cover for either fullback, rating from his performances this season.

Harsh, but honest.

I really don't know about Naughton yet. Although he hasn't done anything to make me think 'wow', I am curious about how he'd play if he was given a few games as first choice RB rather than having to come in and plug a hole somewhere. The confidence that would give him could add an extra level to his performance.

He's certainly not slow, he has a good range of passing and he hit a couple of shots the other night that took me a little by surprise.

I'm a big fan of Walker though, he's made some mistakes this season and I think this place can be too quick to jump on him because of them.

Naughton offers basically nothing going forward. Considering we will have no width from midfield it's very important we have width from somewhere and we won't get that if Naughton starts. Naughton is a bit like Friedel. He doesn't do anything that stands out as terrible and his limitations aren't easy to spot, but he slows us down and makes it easier to contain us

My problem with Naughton is not the issue of coming forward.

He is a fullback and as such has to defend well. In every game we play, we are terribly under pressure in whatever side of defence he plays in. Thursday he was directly involved in 2 goals and at least 1 big cock-up for a 1-on-1 Basel chance.

I am not defending Walkers defending this season. I am just saying, that it's a myth that Naughton has been any better at defending, while he most definately has not been any better overal both defending and attacking.

After a season of starts and subs in a team sitting 3rd in the league and in the QF's of the EL I cannot see any reason, how and why he is an able cover player let alone a starter.

Naughton offers basically nothing going forward. Considering we will have no width from midfield it's very important we have width from somewhere and we won't get that if Naughton starts. Naughton is a bit like Friedel. He doesn't do anything that stands out as terrible and his limitations aren't easy to spot, but he slows us down and makes it easier to contain us

In that regard he is quite a bit like Jenas.

Looking to next season I think we've got to sell Nauhton. He's 24 and whilst his versatility is useful: Adam Smith has to be the back up right back and between Danny Rose (who's excelled at Sunderland) and the highly rated Fryers we should have cover on the left (whatever happens to BAE or he's replaced)
I think we should keep him - having someone who can play both FB positions at a decent level is helpful when considering how long the season is and what injuries can potentially occur. When he stepped in at LB this season for an injured BAE I thought he did well - the only bad game being the one against Woolwich where he pretty much had Sagna and Walcott overloading on him.

We'll agree to disagree, but I do think that he should be given more opportunities to start ahead of Walker who has, quite frankly, been dreadful this season.

th

Its on the Line!!!

Support the Club!!!

Back
Top Bottom