European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
English teams don’t need a Euro Super League. With the TV money coming in we are the Super League.

So why did Tottenham, Chelsea, Liverpool, Woolwich and United all sign up.
the only one of the big 6 that didn't was infinite-money City.

I don't want to give Levy any credit, but he did predict decades ago that the bubble will burst. Barcelona are on the ropes, Juve are on the ropes, who's next?

I don't want to give Levy any credit, but he did predict decades ago that the bubble will burst. Barcelona are on the ropes, Juve are on the ropes, who's next?

City signed up as well

I suppose now that Newcastle have won the lottery it has become a ' Big 7 ', and seven into four CL places where the big money is, don't go.
No other country has as many big clubs fighting over a few CL places so I'd still imagine our big clubs wanting a Super League.

I don't disagree with everything here. I said the Madrid games stood out. I suspect it would have been different in a knock out setting though. Also, I think we were at our very best that season. We were unlucky to go out to Juve, they cheated their way to a scrappy win IMO. Experience got them through.

The runner up season though, maybe I remember things differently. I thought Dortmund were pretty shit. Ajax aren't all that and especially in the 2nd leg were very lucky to be 2 (3) up by halftime. So knocking City out was the big result of the tournament for us. And that took a 95th minute VAR to save us.

I haven't bought my Milan ticket yet as I'm not sure I can face a midweek trek and midnight return on a work night for a borefest bed wetting bottle job
Sorry mate I think the last few years have just ground you down. His analysis is far closer to my recollection. Get to the Milan game (I'm going away as I can walk home) we are battering them.

yea abromovich was the real pioneer of all this shit. they try say jack walker but that was fuck all compared to what hes done, like you said, the states then got involved with their dirty money.

how the fuck did city get away with their so called CL ban for breaking FFP? how are PSG getting away with it? newcastle will be the same. its a fucking joke. its not an organic sport anymore.

clubs spending far beyond their natural resources just isnt sport. i dont see the achievement of winning off the back of some billionaires sportswashing, its about as real as a rolex bought in a chinese market.

while levy/ enic have got a lot wrong, theres a lot to love about the way this club is run. id rather be a proper club self sustained for the long run than have a load of plastic success like the <removed>s.
About 8 years ago I was in a bar with a mate in Switzerland who ran FFP for UEFA at the time. We spoke about City and sportswashing. He openly said there was no way they were getting penalised, and there was no way UEFA would enforce anything. He was disenfranchised and wanted to leave. He said it was a PR position, made-up to look like something was being done.

Because you have to be in it to win it. UEFA and the Prem shit it, as they knew without the big clubs/players the money generated from broadcast rights, and betting would tumble and they would be poorer from it.

We all know it's about money, we all know clubs want more control, we all know they want to give a smaller slice to Feds and the league.

About 8 years ago I was in a bar with a mate in Switzerland who ran FFP for UEFA at the time. We spoke about City and sportswashing. He openly said there was no way they were getting penalised, and there was no way UEFA would enforce anything. He was disenfranchised and wanted to leave. He said it was a PR position, made-up to look like something was being done.

Sounds about right. The PL are doing the same dance with Man City too. Doing absolutely nothing about their FFP breaches in the PL.

The bubble hasn't burst that's just poor financing because they couldn't face its English teams turn to be the (richest) dominant teams after they had a go. The fact they were going to be paid 1bn for ESL shows there is plenty left in the bubble

Sorry mate I think the last few years have just ground you down. His analysis is far closer to my recollection. Get to the Milan game (I'm going away as I can walk home) we are battering them.
I know it's supposed to be good for the team to have the 2nd leg at home, but what it means, is if it goes to ET or worse, penalties, I'll have to have left to get home.
From a totally self serving point of view, I'd rather that that happened away where I'd inevitably be watching on TV

Sounds about right. The PL are doing the same dance with Man City too. Doing absolutely nothing about their FFP breaches in the PL.
and there in lies the problem with the super league. If the premiership make things too difficult for the sports washing teams, they will push for the super league.

They've had a taste of the money, and now want more. Everyone is scrambling...

Last edited:
and here in lies the problem with the super league. If the premiership make things too difficult for the sports washing teams, they will push for the super league.

They've had a taste of the money, and now want more. Everyone is scrambling...
I think we fans have to just be very loud and clear on this. I will not in any way financially support or engage with it . I do not unconditionally support anything that's got Spurs stuck on the livery. My love and support has a history that was not made up by marketing men. Its contingent on the sporting pyramid as it stands. It is linked directly to the teams of Perryman Blanchflower and beyond.

It's why Glasgow Rangers fans make me laugh that club they support is not the one they used to. I will not support Spurs in a Super league, no disrespect to anyone who feels differently but I just not interested. I think I'd bin off supporting any sport to be honest.

How can UEFA stop Man City when they are corrupt thsmselves?

This is what City's lawyers threatened to expose by the way hence why UEFA didn't go all out and backed down, there's a lot of hypocrisy and bureaucracy crap when it comes to things like this and the higher you go the dirtier it becomes.

How can UEFA stop Man City when they are corrupt thsmselves?

This is what City's lawyers threatened to expose by the way hence why UEFA didn't go all out and backed down, there's a lot of hypocrisy and bureaucracy crap when it comes to things like this and the higher you go the dirtier it becomes.
CAF let City off due to time limit being passed according to UEFA rules.

City's bullying defense was we will appeal forever, would rather spend 50m on lawyers than 30m fine.

And here's an independent respected journalist assessment of FIFA, rotten from the top downwards, a cess pit of an organisation

Organisation has unstable revenues so introduces new products.... Telling us fifa is dodgy and needs dosh now is a little bit akin to noticing the stable door is open 6 months after the nag has bolted.

The fact is the players will soon shut this all down before the owners, the league or the fans. Everyone knows fifa is dodgy.

I can't get used to a Super League.

Raumdeuterz has written a lot that you can really subscribe to.

As an old geezer, this whole commercialization of our sport is getting on my nerves!

This sport has been a sport for the fans.

I fondly remember that the German Bundesliga had a game on Friday, 8 on Saturday at 15:30 (CET).
If you asked a fan in the Ruhr area "why are you going to the stadium" you would see a stunned face and hear the answer "because it's Saturday!"

The CL was gradually expanded. She was, in my opinion, the can opener for a Super League.
Why?
Because I don't see the CL as a CL, otherwise only the respective champion of a league would be represented.
The introduction of the Conference League is another move that I do not condone.

Our sport is getting to me more and more.
The many different game days.
The subscriptions that I have to take out to be able to see CL, EL, PL, Bundesliga, second division.
I'm thinking about canceling my subscriptions.

It's ridiculously expensive and the commentators focus less on what's happening on the pitch than on bringing one cool saying after the other.
Some commentators at sky Germany have apparently prepared some sheets with sayings that they absolutely must accommodate during the 90 minutes.

It's getting on my nerves that stadium prices are getting higher and higher and normal earners can no longer afford to visit the stadium with their child.
How do you want to be able to go to the game as a "normal consumer" on several weekends.

If it were up to me (it's not up to me, neither at home nor anywhere else) we would have three European Cup competitions (championship, cup winners, UEFA Cup) and we would be back broadcasting the games in the "Sportschau".

That's why I try to support the organized fans in general and in Frankfurt in particular, so that the clubs remain in the hands of the members and don't go to the investors.

There will be no going back, I know that too, I just wanted to explain what really annoys me about "modern football".

The bubble hasn't burst that's just poor financing because they couldn't face its English teams turn to be the (richest) dominant teams after they had a go. The fact they were going to be paid 1bn for ESL shows there is plenty left in the bubble
Setting up a closed shop ESL is as much about limiting expenses as it is about locking in undiluted revenue streams that don't have to be shared with the minnows anymore. Whenever it gets off the ground, and in whatever form, it'll come with some form of real spending limits across the board for the ESL clubs. Which is why City and Abramovich weren't too keen to begin with.

The people who own these clubs are as tired of the majority of their revenue going out the door in salaries and transfer fees, as they are propping up Burnley.

Setting up a closed shop ESL is as much about limiting expenses as it is about locking in undiluted revenue streams that don't have to be shared with the minnows anymore. Whenever it gets off the ground, and in whatever form, it'll come with some form of real spending limits across the board for the ESL clubs. Which is why City and Abramovich weren't too keen to begin with.

The people who own these clubs are as tired of the majority of their revenue going out the door in salaries and transfer fees, as they are propping up Burnley.
Maybe but they will still be competing against the traditional leagues, unless their revenue is so high that 1/3> than their spend they won't be the super league they want to be.

They may find out they were not propping up Burnley but propping up people's interest and willingness to spend on football. I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom