Europa v Champs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Preference

• Total voters
Just bought Basle tickets and it got me thinking: What would most Spurs fans prefer, winning the Europa or CL qualification? Of course we can do BOTH but talking hypotheticals here.

Personally, I want the silverwear as it's still a good competition/meaningful trophy despite the media's disparagement. Aware of all the financial implications regarding CL qualification and the pain of finishing below the scum once again, but honestly feel that it can keep for another season as we're on the up and talk of Bale leaving etc, is way too premature.

Give me that glory, glory night in Amsterdam is what I say. Thoughts?

1445550_w2.jpg

It's a head versus heart thing really. We want to win trophies at the end of the day. Would missing out on the CL harm us? maybe, but winning the UEFA cup (why the fuck it isn't still call this I don't know) would be beautiful, and could well be a nice spring board.

Given the possibility of getting knocked out early in the Champions League, I think you have to go for winning the Europa League.

Don't want to turn into that lot down the road who think 4th place is equal to a trophy.

It should always be about the glory, no matter how the world changes around us.

A European Trophy is a worthy glory, regardless of which clubs devalue it along the way.

Wouldn't give a toss if we finished 8th if we won the Europa Cup.

There's always the argument that CL qualification attracts better players and allows you to win more trophies down the line but it's a flawed philosophy. Look at Woolwich, look at Lloris.

Give me the glory all day every day.

That photo says it all really. We will look back on getting fourth a couple of years ago with very fond memories, but that's because it had been such a long sought after dream, and we had that series of games against the chavs, scum, and city. But generally speaking, qualifying for the CL won't bookmark our history like winning the EL would.

There's always the argument that CL qualification attracts better players and allows you to win more trophies down the line but it's a flawed philosophy. Look at Woolwich, look at Lloris.

It's a very good point that you can still attract quality if you aren't in the CL, but I think to keep that quality of player happy they are going to want to be playing in the CL.

As much as its suggested that Champions League qualification attracts more players, failure year after year to do anything within the competition is surely not what players want... look at the Woolwich and see who they've bought as a result. If I was offered a chance to win the Europa with one team or just to compete in the CL I know I'd be hungry for the silverware

I genuinely cannot believe that people would vote for European qualification over actual European triumph. Let's be honest, 2 league cups in 20 years is not a good return for how many people support this club around the world - we should be doing better that. But while I understand that Champions League qualification may lead to more silverware down the line etc, we should jump at the chance of any silverware that we have a realistic chance of achieving. Those that would prefer Champions League qualification have been brainwashed by Sky a bit too much IMO, you can't put a top four finish in the trophy cabinet - just ask Woolwich fans.

If we go on to win this tournament then it will far out shadow anything we did in the Champions League a couple of seasons ago.

Back
Top Bottom