Europa League vs Gent (20.05KO)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We played Rose and Walker in the same line up ONCE in Europe this season.

I bet you can guess the game that was.

That's right, the only game that DIDNT matter. The 3-1 win against CSKA Moscow.

That was our problem, we only started playing our strong team when it didn't matter.

We played 8 games in Europe this season and we won ONE game. That ONE game we played Rose and Walker as our pace and width.
Coincidence I think not

I hate to sound 'old school' but the Tourist element at Wembley really does churn up the atmosphere...
If I were Spurs, I'd designate an 'away-style' home end... NOT just SAY 'if you wanna sing, book in blocks 133-135... but actually EJECT people if they DON'T!

I was in 133... and believe me, there were plenty more not singing (and taking selfies) than were singing...

A casual glance over to the away end (lower AND upper... how many did they bring FFS?) would tell you that if you put a block of people together who WILL SING... then you generate an atmosphere that others can feed on. Not just disperse everyone around, and hope a few get heard screaming themselves hoarse TRYING to get some to put down their fucking phones and SING!!!

Still... 80,000 people can't be wrong. .. I'm sure Levy's happy enough with the gate receipts... but that's it for Wembley 'as our home' until next year!

I dunno whether getting to the FA Cup Semi-Final would be a good or bad thing at the moment... (I'd LIKE to think it would be a good thing!)
At least it'll be half-and-half allocation!

Sadly, I think Pochettino and the team would be happy with that performance. I can already hear them saying how we played well despite going down to 10 men and how we didn't lose and still created and all the usual bullshit you would say to appease some fans.

But no man, it's not good enough. EIGHTH in the fucking Belgian league, ONE win in their last FIVE games, yeah guess who that win was against!? - don't care if we went down to 10 men and WON THE POSSESSION, we couldnt even manage to win.

Fuck me, it's frustrating. How did it come to this?

I think he's been awsome!!! Of course I don't but fuck off, not just you but every negative rim stain on here. We lost, deal with it. I honestly don't think some people care that we lost, it just gives them licence to spout nonsense. Eriksen was very good tonight.

*Lost the round not the game

Think this could be a blessing in disguise for us, with the fixtures we have left in the prem we should be able to go on a decent run weve played all the big boys twice minus Woolwich and utd who both have to come to the lane. Lets finish the season strong, push chelsea as much as we can and go and win the f.a cup. COYS

Were you there?

They were absolutely devastated at the end.

Sadly not, had to sell my ticket tonight :(

Though I have seen some interviews

"Very brave"
"Proud of the performance"
"Played fantastic"
"Showed character"

Sadly, nothing about being able to LEARN - the Wembley pitch is clearly a problem. I still believe if we were at White Hart Lane we'd still be in the Champions League and if not, we'd have coasted through to the next round of the Europa League.

Sadly not, had to sell my ticket tonight :(

Though I have seen some interviews

"Very brave"
"Proud of the performance"
"Played fantastic"
"Showed character"

Sadly, nothing about being able to LEARN - the Wembley pitch is clearly a problem. I still believe if we were at White Hart Lane we'd still be in the Champions League and if not, we'd have coasted through to the next round of the Europa League.
For the 10 that got stitched up by Dele that's exactly how I'd describe their performance.

Also, and I haven't seen it myself, Eriksen apparently was very critical.

Why the fuck is he still allowed to take them ?, Think I'd rather do an England and have kane taking them.
Hopefully Erik's back soon and we never have to see another Eriksen corner EVER!
Stupid Eriksen with his stupid crosses, setting up goals and giving multiple assists to Kane and Dele.

Sounds like the Wembley pitch is the size of the fucking Atlantic based on some of the comments here. It's the same size as the training pitch, and only 1 yard wider and 5 yards longer than WHL. Stop acting like it's the fucking surface of Mars.

if Winks is good enough to face Fulham, he's good enough to face Gent.
Offers us far more offensively with his passing and creatively in midfield.
Yet we had Wanyama making runs from CM? Why not Dembele?
Dembele is ok for some games but he slows us down. Beats a man and plays it square or backwards.
Red: unsuccessful passes, green: successful, Yellow:key passes.
Spurs vs KAA Gent Match Centre - 23 Feb 2017 - tottenhamhotspur.com He never passed to Dele once in 40 mins. Go and have a look at his passing combinations for the game. Vertonghen played more passes to the front 3.
Walker:
Spurs vs KAA Gent Match Centre - 23 Feb 2017 - tottenhamhotspur.com
Trippier is a better crosser than Walker.

Davies:
Spurs vs KAA Gent Match Centre - 23 Feb 2017 - tottenhamhotspur.com

Why play a 343 with Davies?
He can't attack or beat a man to cross anyway.
May as well played Wimmer and Vertonghen as LWB or not 343 at all.
What difference did it make?
We were still all right side in attack and weak at left in defence

Have to take chances, Dele, fucked the game for us.
Why when we scored the first didn't we just play it quick into space behind again?
Too much holding onto the ball in midfield, passing it back or square and letting them Get organised. Need to move it quicker, over the top or one twos.
Reduced to shots and they awful.
Once they got two slices of luck, one from a bad call and the own goal, we were going to find it hard to get 3 . Then Dele had his moment of madness due to getting no calls.

Last edited:
Heartbreaking result tonight, mainly because I thought we totally deserved to win. I'm actually really proud of the shift we put in to totally dominate most of the game despite only having 10 men on the pitch. Dele really stitched us up with that ridiculous challenge. We were always going to be vulnerable to a second goal when we had to push so many players forward, it had to be all or nothing. I actually feel no shame as we at least looked like we really wanted it (I wasn't able to watch the first leg where it sounds like that, sadly, was definitely not the case). Also fuck that referee. EVERY decision went Gent's way. Shambles.

As an aside, really loved watching Harry Winks yet again, I always get excited when he's on the pitch. I love his enthusiasm.

Still fucking love this team, still proud of them. Onward and upwards.

Sick of this competition now. Don't think we can win the Champions League in the foreseeable future either. Fuck them off. FA cup and BPL should be our focus for the next three years, at least

Just left Wembley. Thought we played well but we can't keep missing chances galore and we can't keep letting teams score from the minimal chances they create.

Thought Vertonghen and Walker were our best players. Tbh nobody played poorly but jesus Davies really seems afraid to get forward and when he does he doesn't beat the man with the cross. It was very frsutrating to watch.

Just play trippier. May be the wrong side but that is better then Davies, who is awful. Dier is not a fucking centre back. When will poch see that seriously. If wimmer is available then he should play. He isn't great either but dier is just so bad in that position. Sorry but this 3 at the back to rubbish is not working for us. Vert and Toby together know what they are doing and we are solid. Last season we did not fuck with the formation. Swapped out injured players with ones that were natural in that position and it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom