Euro 2016 - France

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was hoping to provoke some discussion, but reading some replies, this is not possible. Any question away from the 'what everyone wants to hear' there is a melt down.

I posed a question, fail to see how that is stonewalling your discussion...even though the point you made was very one dimensional

Britain Furst!! no wogs in de nashional team!

This is undoubtedly the dumbest post here ever, that include greaves and gibbs in his bad days

I know you only jest but your reaction is far beyond how far I have thought about it. Who has said that Black player = non English? it was a simple question not a racial motivated statement.

I think it depends on the individual and the circumstances of the upbringing.
You can get someone that was born elsewhere ,came here at a young age yet feels totally English/British.I have a friend who was born in the Ukraine, you couldn't meet a more cockney English bloke.I also have mates who are London born yet see themselves as 100% Irish.I get that . Though anything further down the line than that and it gets a bit silly IMHO.
I could (if I was good and young enough) play for ,as well as England, the Rep of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
England first and foremost with me(by a country mile) ,Northern Ireland,yes,but I would feel like a bloke invited to a party only because his mate was popular, but I would feel uncomfortable playing for the republic. No offence intended to anyone ,just wouldn't seem right.
Luckily for all involved I am 48 and play like football like I sing...

I was hoping to provoke some discussion, but reading some replies, this is not possible. Any question away from the 'what everyone wants to hear' there is a melt down.
I'm all up for a discussion

Europe is as culturally diverse as it's ever been and will only get 'bigger' - look at Swiss, French teams, etc. Right or wrong? Not sure myself

What point specifically do you wish to discuss?

Jamaican athletes running under the USA flag. They couldn't wait until they could finance themselves and run under their own flag not USA which the system dictated to them.
On the point of players adopting citizenship due to financial reasons - absolute joke, agreed

But players born to foreign parents? Different story, imv

I know you only jest but your reaction is far beyond how far I have thought about it. Who has said that Black player = non English? it was a simple question not a racial motivated statement.
"Can..Raheem Sterling, really be passionate to play for England when he is Jamaica born. I do not believe you can be. It must be difficult to stand there and sing the national anthem of another country?

Lallana is another, Spanish decent-you must play for your blood father/fathers.

Vardy is another, a Gipsy I believe."

I'll give a benefit of the doubt here as you were saying he (Sterling) was born in Jamaica. But take your comment on Vardy who was born in Britain (I have no idea whether he's a gypsy or how far back his family is British), it's implicit he can't really have a feeling of "Englishness" to him then. Now substitute Vardy with any black player and see why what you said implies the otherness and un-Englishness.

Now if it was a question than the answer would be an obvious No, but the way the question was raised had a very nasty tone to it.

Players should be able to play for whoever they want as long as they are eligible through blood.

I don't like that someone can go play for a country because they have lived there for a certain amount of years.

You call those posts a meltdown? So basically because people disagree with you they are melting?

Ok mate
This is exactly the cliche reply that any post gets that are away from the centre .

A simple question, posters who are unable to see the wider picture , attack and ridicule. I am happy with people disagreeing , I expected it and accept it.

Players should be able to play for whoever they want as long as they are eligible through blood.

I don't like that someone can go play for a country because they have lived there for a certain amount of years.
Or through Marriage.
Though I think if you have lived somewhere since childhood,its the same as a blood connection in a lot of cases

Blood and birth then ?

But in that case Sterling isnt allowed to play for England ? Or is one of his parents English ?

Or through Marriage.
Though I think if you have lived somewhere since childhood,its the same as a blood connection in a lot of cases

Blood and birth then ?

But in that case Sterling isnt allowed to play for England ? Or is one of his parents English ?

Pretty much. The living there was more like when people wanted the likes of Arteta being called up to the England squad etc..

WTF?

Thought we were listing players of mixed origin?

Lol, come off it. You used to rib me about Nigeria. Anyway whatever. Agree with what you're saying.

Mr S Pippo sorry you felt attacked. It's just talking shit on a messageboard after all. I agree with you that society should not be so sensitive to comments - although there's w limit to that. But actually you said players born in a different country, or with parents from a different country, cannot feel patriotism for England. You got people disagreeing with you, not calling for you to be shot

Back
Top Bottom