Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm very sadly inclined to agree, something deeper appears wrong. I would love him to get right....I dont know what the unnamed illness post surgery was but this looks like more than a core fitness issue. Barrios, Zakaria, Rice. Any two from three. I like Dier, Rose, Jan, Victor, and Toby. Pivitol in some wonderful times as a Yid. ALL of them MUST be replaced. All of them are finished at the highest level.
Rice is almost an identical player to Dier-no way thanks.

Luckily, we as fans have the luxury of not having to make that call.

As for 4 games..... Is that in any way an informed opinion? Personally, the view from my armchair doesn't afford me that kind of insight into health and fitness rehabilitation at an elite sporting level.
You're right, we're all armchair experts here.

I've ventured that four games on the bounce in quick succession will see an already-trained-up-to-the-hilt pro player approach match fitness. He's been training for months since his illness, it's just that he hasn't played 90 minutes.

That's my view.

Going back to the 'How long do we give him' question for him to appear a little less lethargic in movement and thought; is anyone going to give their opinion?

10 games, 20?

Some of the criticism is way OTT.

He was a lynchpin of our best modern day team. The physicality is compromised, but he is no worse as a footballer.

Good news is, that physical shape can be rebuilt.

I am quite suprised about some of the bile around here, when players like Sissoko, Aurier and Lamela over the lenght and costs over their contracts have been absolutely stealing a living around here.

Can't agree.

You could argue that it was Dembele or Eriksen or Kane or even either CB. No way was it Dier.

That team was built on a defence of Lloris, Rose, Walker, Vertonghen and Alderweireld (who played almost every game).
Dembele, Eriksen in midfield.
Dele and Kane up front.

Saying Dier was the lynchpin is just not as I remember.

Rice is almost an identical player to Dier-no way thanks.
Oh he'd not be my choice but we need an orthodox CDM that's not broken. I personally want Zakaria but I'm not sure he is a bit of a box to box type Barrios might be the best bet but Rice average though he is might be a sum of the parts type. Just makes the system work but not great. I'd rather have the reincarnation of Makele.

Oh he'd not be my choice but we need an orthodox CDM that's not broken. I personally want Zakaria but I'm not sure he is a bit of a box to box type Barrios might be the best bet but Rice average though he is might be a sum of the parts type. Just makes the system work but not great. I'd rather have the reincarnation of Makele.
Don't know if Barrios is box to box, but he's a vicious, tenacious little fucker who shores up a defence and brings the ball away.

But regardless of who becomes our CDM, a defence defending as deep as ours last night is an accident waiting to happen. There's no let up in pressure and Bayern were taking it easy, yet still made us look like an amateur team

Don't know if Barrios is box to box, but he's a vicious, tenacious little fucker who shores up a defence and brings the ball away.

But regardless of who becomes our CDM, a defence defending as deep as ours last night is an accident waiting to happen. There's no let up in pressure and Bayern were taking it easy, yet still made us look like an amateur team
Theres a bit of Torreira in him from what I've seen in the few games I have watched him in. I don't know tbh, seems a big risk to me-he was very average for Columbia last tournament and the one or two Boca games I watched. Havent seen any of him at zsp though tbf.

Can't agree.

You could argue that it was Dembele or Eriksen or Kane or even either CB. No way was it Dier.

That team was built on a defence of Lloris, Rose, Walker, Vertonghen and Alderweireld (who played almost every game).
Dembele, Eriksen in midfield.
Dele and Kane up front.

Saying Dier was the lynchpin is just not as I remember.

Dier started virtually every league game for Poch until his illness last season. He was a key player.

Sorry mate I wrote that poorly. I meant that despite wanting Zakaria I wonder if his best position is as a box to box midfielder as opposed to Barrios. We need an orthodox CDM so probably Barrios the best bet. Theres a hell of a player in Zak, but I saw him play more offensively against Republic of Ireland.

Again, the amount of romanticism is insane.

No top 6 side would be playing Dier in the midfield except us. He would be on the u23 bench at City, Pool, Chelsea, and would barely make the match squad at the others.

He was fucked over like a lot of our youth by playing him out of position for years. He could be a pretty good CB by now if he didn’t get the idea in his head that he is versatile.

he's not in form, and maybe he will never be. But i think he's a really good DM if he can find his form again.
This is one of the most ridiculous syllogisms I've ever read. So in your opinion what we are seeing is his bad form because if we saw his good form he'd be a 'really good DM'? But he may never recoup his good form? At some point the bad form we have seen for some time now becomes his level of ability and not some transient phase.

Would it surprise you that some were unsatisfied with what he brought to the position even at his 'heights' of 15/16? There were many that wanted more progressive distribution from the position. We are now 4 seasons past that point and since then there has been significantly more negative than positive in his contributions.

You're right, we're all armchair experts here.

I've ventured that four games on the bounce in quick succession will see an already-trained-up-to-the-hilt pro player approach match fitness. He's been training for months since his illness, it's just that he hasn't played 90 minutes.

That's my view.

Going back to the 'How long do we give him' question for him to appear a little less lethargic in movement and thought; is anyone going to give their opinion?

10 games, 20?

He's coming back from nearly a year out inc. multiple illnesses and some form of surgery during the summer.

Who knows.... Which is very much my point.

He still looks way off the pace so evidently the 4 games you cite isn't enough.

Mobility and energy levels never used to be an issue.... Poch used to get 50-60 appearances per season out of him; so whatever it is holding him back would appear to run deep.

Dier started virtually every league game for Poch until his illness last season. He was a key player.
Even then, not a 'lynchpin'. When Kane was out for along period, Son and Sissoko carried us. Not Dier.

Anyway, last season wasn't the 'best team we've had in the recent past'.

In my view it was the Leicester-season team with Rose and Walker running up and down the touchline and 50m crossfield balls coming to them terrorising defences.

Of all the players that played both Burnley and Bayen, Dier is the one that will struggle to play again against Wolves. Jose does not see Sissoko as a cm player, Ndombele and Winks may not be fit. Who does that leave? Many will say Skipp but did he do enough to convince Jose to play him. Jose will not be doing Dier any favours by playing him again. Who ever is picked will be condemned by a lot of posters.

He's coming back from nearly a year out inc. multiple illnesses and some form of surgery during the summer.

Who knows.... Which is very much my point.

He still looks way off the pace so evidently the 4 games you cite isn't enough.

Mobility and energy levels never used to be an issue.... Poch used to get 50-60 appearances per season out of him; so whatever it is holding him back would appear to run deep.

He was available for a massive chunk of last season.

And saying mobility and energy levels were never a problem is just wrong. He was never mobile or energetic enough for the position he played in midfield - just look at the difference between his performances and how much better we were when Wanyama came in for him. And that's ignoring Dier's footballing limitations - which are pretty rudimentary.

He was available for a massive chunk of last season.

I said the last year(*), not season. We're half way through December already.

(*which includes a summer where he was not training)

If you wanna be obtuce and quibble about a few weeks here and there then I'll leave you to it.

And saying mobility and energy levels were never a problem is just wrong. He was never mobile or energetic enough for the position he played in midfield - just look at the difference between his performances and how much better we were when Wanyama came in for him. And that's ignoring Dier's footballing limitations - which are pretty rudimentary.

Come on, blakey..... Let's bypass the pissing contest of how good a player you think he is. I'm clearly talking about conditioning.... I'm comparing him to the Dier of old.

How much stock do we put Poch's ideas of team selection, because frankly, I think it's the biggest single factor that got him the sack.

Oh come on, man..... A sacking wasn't on the horizon back then! ....That's bollocks.

We were in the title race this time last year and had previously enjoyed a 3rd place finish.

Back
Top Bottom