Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, him playing at centre back makes him a more aware midfielder and vice-versa. Plus it means that if a CB gets injured you have the option to bring on a different kind of midfielder and drop him back.

It's a hell of an attribute to have, not that common either. Remember when Huddlestone dropped back to CB, he never looked comfortable. Ledley could do it - played well in midfield for England, his first start, in Euro 2004 vs France he was outstanding, a bit less so for us - but there was never any doubt where he was strongest . With young Eric he's pretty much equally good in both positions, very few like that.

Very decent stand-in right back too, he's a managers dream

Couldn't agree more Madrid. Great mentality, reads the game well and can knock it about. 3 players rolled into one which you don't see very often. Can see him being England's captain permanently in all honesty

hopefully thats the end of that plank Horrenderson

Eric has proved his capabilities against Real twice now. Best club teams better than any international team.

Until the time of course that Spurs = England XI

Dier, much like alot of our players, are unappreciated outside of the Spurs circle. I have no idea why. Its probably the same reason Rose and Walker weren't rated until recently. They saw on TV when Spurs were on and Dier may have made a mistake, Utd for example, and it sticks on their mind.

Yet, he was the best England player at the Euros. He's been a key part of our rise to title challengers over the past two seasons, playing in two different key positions.

Dier England skipper our next skipper and next Dave Mackay!

I'm loving the 'hate' coming his way from other fans... it's a combination of ignorance and jealously... sprinkled with a dash of bile... NO ONE except Spurs fans like the progress we're making.. . And why should they?
Only difference is that when it was Man Utd, Liverpool or ArseAnal providing all the England players, the rest of us were supposed to embrace it with joyous excitement. But that's where the media totally miss the point.

You'd think ALL English football fans would automatically be England fans... Not so... I remember the days where, during any given England match, if Seaman rolled it out to Adams, who then passed it across to Winterburn, who passed it to Merson and he set up Wright to score for England... I'd take a GOOD few minutes to contemplate whether to celebrate or not...

As it Is, I can't expect the rest of the Cuntry to be happy for Spurs now... just a shame the media expected it of us in the past when OTHER clubs provided the bulk of the England team!

I'm loving the 'hate' coming his way from other fans... it's a combination of ignorance and jealously... sprinkled with a dash of bile... NO ONE except Spurs fans like the progress we're making.. . And why should they?
Only difference is that when it was Man Utd, Liverpool or ArseAnal providing all the England players, the rest of us were supposed to embrace it with joyous excitement. But that's where the media totally miss the point.

You'd think ALL English football fans would automatically be England fans... Not so... I remember the days where, during any given England match, if Seaman rolled it out to Adams, who then passed it across to Winterburn, who passed it to Merson and he set up Wright to score for England... I'd take a GOOD few minutes to contemplate whether to celebrate or not...

As it Is, I can't expect the rest of the Cuntry to be happy for Spurs now... just a shame the media expected it of us in the past when OTHER clubs provided the bulk of the England team!

English players are rated by their pay packet, not their ability

Coming back to this thread a few days late, I see Martin Samuel was trying to take apart Dier for being chosen as England captain in the absence of others, cannot stand the odious bearded slug, he is exactly what is wrong with print journalists and their PFM opinions.

F365, perfectly take apart his utter garbage of an opinion...

Dier straits
If Mediawatch were to compile a list of the issues facing the English national team in the modern day, the general lack of enthusiasm, the proliferation of foreign players in the Premier League, the scarcity of chances for younger players, a lack of technical proficiency and the fact that we sometimes have to wear a blue kit would sit high. Samuel has spotted a far greater issue, however.

‘Eric Dier was asked about the 2014 World Cup,’ he begins. ‘What did he remember? “Not a lot, to be honest,” he stumbled. “I was in Portugal and my memories are not much. Who won?”‘

Thus begins one of the more bizarre articles on England in recent memory. The dismissive, scoffing nature of the next line – ‘Ladies and gentlemen, meet tonight’s England captain – confirms as such.

The article, sat beneath the headline ‘Dier proves ignorance is still bliss for England stars’, is based on the premise that Dier, who captains England against Germany on Friday evening, is indicative of the modern player, who doesn’t watch enough football.

‘This really isn’t about captaincy. It’s about football. When are we going to start producing players who actually watch the game; who feel there is worth in studying style and technique; who are engaged enough to want to observe great teams and great players via more than the fantasy world of a game console.’

Quite how Samuel gets from Dier’s initial response to an inane question to ‘kids nowadays play too much XStation 364 or Playbox One’ is astounding. As is the rest of the article, from which we have picked out a few choice lines:

‘Maybe Dier had a brain freeze in front of the cameras. Let’s hope. The alternative explanation is dismal indeed. That another generation of English footballers consider ignorance bliss.’

‘When does he plan to start paying attention; or is he just destined to make the same mistake as previous generations, like the one that got England knocked out against Uruguay?’

‘Our players come into matches like students who haven’t properly revised, wondering why they feel so nervous on exam day.’

‘The irony is that Dier should be one of our smartest footballers.’

All this from a throwaway response to a meaningless question, and the England hatchet job is already in full motion a full seven months before the World Cup begins.

Dier, for what it is worth, speaks both English and Portuguese, has been praised by Mauricio Pochettino for his tactical fluidity in being able to seamlessly transition between central defence and central midfield, and is widely considered as pretty intelligent. But because he was unable to enthusiastically share his memories of a tournament three years ago he is now accused of ‘not paying attention’, with the implication being that he is not a ‘smart footballer’.

Which true England fan or player can honestly pretend they have not tried to forget the 2014 World Cup?

Samuel is a twat.

Yes not watching some games on the tv is the reason England have repeatedly failed at football for the last 50 years.

It’s well documented during the 70s all the players were on the first generation Xbox so we failed to qualify for tournaments.

Ironic really as most of those players would have been young and watching our team win in 1966 and then compete in 1970 in one of the iconic world cups against incredible teams but obviously the lure of the games console was too much and we became shit overnight.

Grade A cunt.

MartinSamuel_1729054.jpg

State of the cunt

Coming back to this thread a few days late, I see Martin Samuel was trying to take apart Dier for being chosen as England captain in the absence of others, cannot stand the odious bearded slug, he is exactly what is wrong with print journalists and their PFM opinions.

Dier straits
If Mediawatch were to compile a list of the issues facing the English national team in the modern day, the general lack of enthusiasm, the proliferation of foreign players in the Premier League, the scarcity of chances for younger players, a lack of technical proficiency and the fact that we sometimes have to wear a blue kit would sit high. Samuel has spotted a far greater issue, however.

‘Eric Dier was asked about the 2014 World Cup,’ he begins. ‘What did he remember? “Not a lot, to be honest,” he stumbled. “I was in Portugal and my memories are not much. Who won?”‘

Thus begins one of the more bizarre articles on England in recent memory. The dismissive, scoffing nature of the next line – ‘Ladies and gentlemen, meet tonight’s England captain – confirms as such.

The article, sat beneath the headline ‘Dier proves ignorance is still bliss for England stars’, is based on the premise that Dier, who captains England against Germany on Friday evening, is indicative of the modern player, who doesn’t watch enough football.

‘This really isn’t about captaincy. It’s about football. When are we going to start producing players who actually watch the game; who feel there is worth in studying style and technique; who are engaged enough to want to observe great teams and great players via more than the fantasy world of a game console.’

Quite how Samuel gets from Dier’s initial response to an inane question to ‘kids nowadays play too much XStation 364 or Playbox One’ is astounding. As is the rest of the article, from which we have picked out a few choice lines:

‘Maybe Dier had a brain freeze in front of the cameras. Let’s hope. The alternative explanation is dismal indeed. That another generation of English footballers consider ignorance bliss.’

‘When does he plan to start paying attention; or is he just destined to make the same mistake as previous generations, like the one that got England knocked out against Uruguay?’

‘Our players come into matches like students who haven’t properly revised, wondering why they feel so nervous on exam day.’

All this from a throwaway response to a meaningless question, and the England hatchet job is already in full motion a full seven months before the World Cup begins.

Dier, for what it is worth, speaks both English and Portuguese, has been praised by Mauricio Pochettino for his tactical fluidity in being able to seamlessly transition between central defence and central midfield, and is widely considered as pretty intelligent. But because he was unable to enthusiastically share his memories of a tournament three years ago he is now accused of ‘not paying attention’, with the implication being that he is not a ‘smart footballer’.

Which true England fan or player can honestly pretend they have not tried to forget the 2014 World Cup?

MartinSamuel_1729054.jpg

State of the cunt
Let's see him write that article again in fluent Portugese... see how the fat ignorant cunt gets on!

A Grade A Prick of A Journo who has been given a ropey, paper thin 'narrative', and been told to stick to that no matter what!

Fucking no-brain hack!
Go back to the Titties on Page 3... that's all you're good for!

I also imagine he's the type of lonely cunt who wanks into the toilet bowl holding a picture he took, (whilst hiding in the wardrobe) of his Gran sucking off his Dad... there's a chance I may be wrong though!

Dier straits

What utter tripe from the fat cunt. Most of our problems since 1966 have been through fear of failure & the reputation of the opposition. By & large we have had a pretty decent pool of players to choose from, who have frozen on the big stage, been mismanaged by the coach, or both.
What other teams have done & are doing is irrelevant. The fact that Eric is uninterested in reputations & doesn’t give a fuck who won the World Cup 4 years ago is, in my opinion, refreshing. It may be the type of mindset that we have been missing for over half a century.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom