Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Christ let the guy play more than 5 games for us. He hasn’t been impressive but some of our supporters already completely writing him off are a joke.
This is a common theme with us guy rocks up plays couple times, he is hopeless Foyth classic example played 16, 17 games over how long couple seasons? No consistency with a run in the team played in different positions when he did play hadn’t a chance yet he could and chances are would have been a better option than Dier but nope certain posters after 5minuets wrote him off

I don't see anyone "completely writing him off". If there are some conclusive posts and totally made up minds - please be my guest and point them out.

But I personally am already quite pessimistic about him. It can still be just that he needs more time to settle in, but I cannot name one significant strenght he has. Nor have I noticed any attributes in which he would be significantly better than Tanganga. He has provided nothing going forward, he is weaker physically and his awareness is not too great either.

I hope he becomes good, but up to now I have seen nothing convincing.
I feel like Emerson has to come good to vindicate the decision to buy him over Tomiyasu. If Emerson flops and Tomiyasu comes good for the scum, we're going to feel like real chumps.

In my crazy, Woolwich-threatened mind, Emerson has to pretty much be Dani Alves by the end of the season.

He spends way too much time on the floor, I haven't been impressed with him physically. Seems to struggle in duels and his instinct is to dive rather than compete.

He needs time to adapt to English football but not a great start so far.

A pointless signing in all honesty.

He’s not terrible but he is no upgrade on Aurier.
I fail to believe he is the best right back we could have signed last Summer.
Certainly an upgrade over Aurier. I expected us to concede because of a direct Aurier bad decision whenever he played. I don't with Emerson.

Might have been better on the market but far too early to say.

I’m usually extremely lenient with new signings.

But Emerson just ain’t it. His biomechanics just seem off. He looks extremely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and hesitant without it.

I even feel sorry for him at times. Looks completely out of his depth when you look at the talent gap between him and his teammates.

I’m sorry, but who the hell scouted this guy? (sissoko vibes)

Cannot judge him on that game after just getting back from S America. I wanted him subbed after getting booked but credit to him for seeing the match out.

I love him, so nice to have two fullbacks who actually can play in the attacking third again.

The shape of him reminds me of Paulinho.

From previous reports, he was marketed as a speed merchant. But didn't actually see him sprint so not sure about that.

What can be sure is he is not a natural crosser like Tripp, Aurier etc. A bit like Tanganga that runs to byeline and pass across (doesn't whip one over).

Most of his "errors" so far are decision making, instead of lack of pace for example. Hopefully that will improve.

But yes, nothing shows why he is better than Tanganga

The shape of him reminds me of Paulinho.

From previous reports, he was marketed as a speed merchant. But didn't actually see him sprint so not sure about that.

What can be sure is he is not a natural crosser like Tripp, Aurier etc. A bit like Tanganga that runs to byeline and pass across (doesn't whip one over).

Most of his "errors" so far are decision making, instead of lack of pace for example. Hopefully that will improve.

But yes, nothing shows why he is better than Tanganga

He's better going forward than Tanganga.

Still think it's classic Spurs trying to be smart but potentially it negatively affects us. We originally thought we could get a cheap deal from broke Barca for their 18 year old midfielder. We missed him but got Emerson as we also needed a right back. Time will tell if it was good scouting or more opportunity.

I’m usually extremely lenient with new signings.

But Emerson just ain’t it. His biomechanics just seem off. He looks extremely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and hesitant without it.

I even feel sorry for him at times. Looks completely out of his depth when you look at the talent gap between him and his teammates.

I’m sorry, but who the hell scouted this guy? (sissoko vibes)

Ridiculous.

It's 'fans' like you who piss me off.

He's growing into his role, and needs time and patience. Not writing off from some halfwits whose only dribbling they've done is down their chin.

Be quiet and grow up.

He's solid enough, good engine and offers a bit more offensively than Tomiyasu - who looked uninspiring the last times I saw him (Palace & Brighton).

Reality is we can't yet compete for an off-the-shelf top right back like Hakimi. So we are right to buy guys who are breaking through, as Emerson did last year. If you don't like Emerson, who should we have gone for that's better?

He's solid enough, good engine and offers a bit more offensively than Tomiyasu - who looked uninspiring the last times I saw him (Palace & Brighton).

Reality is we can't yet compete for an off-the-shelf top right back like Hakimi. So we are right to buy guys who are breaking through, as Emerson did last year. If you don't like Emerson, who should we have gone for that's better?

There had been virtually no suggestions all summer:

Hakimi (Moved to PSG),
Lamptey (31 EPL mins since injury Dec 20)
Aarons (Sessengon MK2?)......

Last edited:
There's been virtually no suggestions all summer:

Hakimi (Moved to PSG),
Lamptey (31 EPL mins since injury Dec 20)
Aarons (Sessengon MK2?)......

To this day I wonder what our scouts ever saw in Sessegnon. I'm aware they have far, far more knowledge than I ever will, but that was one of those signings where I was just mystified. I watched him a lot in the championship, and even there his only great attribute to my eye was popping up at the back posts for tap ins, in a side which was miles ahead of nearly every side in the division.

Back
Top Bottom