Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the guy is a total and complete shambles. But i blame conte for leaving him on, especially when we were lucky to be ahead and you know he had mistakes in him to let goals slip. The entire defence had a bad game but royal is awful car crash of a player i have seen.

Same Guido who slated 'Champo' Trippier relentlessly, obviously knows a good full back when he sees one.

Clueless.
You are supposed to have me on ignore!! You are still lacking the minerals (you do this always) to tag me directly or reply directly to a post......bottler. And as usual, you have absolutely nothing to post about football.

larry-david-curb-your-enthusiasm.gif

I'm guilty of hoping new players come good long after they have shown they won't but I'm not sure Royal will sadly. I think he might be better in a 4 but even still not convinced.

I'm guilty of hoping new players come good long after they have shown they won't but I'm not sure Royal will sadly. I think he might be better in a 4 but even still not convinced.
He would be better in a 4 eg his complete inability to attack won’t be so exposed. Defensively he’s gonna be shite

He is new , so he should get more leniency than some who have been here for years and been shit(Winks, Davies, etc). But theres just nothing he does that warrants spending £25 million on him.

3rd goal was directly his fault, the other 2 he could've done much better.
yep 3rd goal his fault but not other 2. 2nd goal Kulusevski just decides to leave the Southampton player with a free run despite spotting the run early. Emerson can't be expected to mark 2 players.

That being said he was absolutely awful yesterday as he usually is. He doesn't offer anything in an attacking sense and defensively he's not great either. What exactly is the point in having Kulusevski on that side when Emerson doesn't offer an option meaning Kulusevskis lack of pace is completely exposed.

He is mate. He had a terrible game, as did most of the players out on the pitch today.

But don't let me stop you scapegoating him, fill your boots. (This is the first thing I've seen since logging in this morning, I haven't even read a single post other than you tag, I am absolutely 100% that there's a pile on today because this is what fans do right now, it's getting worse and worse. So fucking reactionary blowing hot and cold, keeping biased informed opinions. Booing the team after a poor 45mins, booing a world-class coach in his first home PL match at halftime.

As I said i think he had a poor game, I think Reggie was even worse (who defensively was nowhere, didn't stop a single cross into our box and fluffed every attacking situation down his flank - Our first, and 2nd came as a result of our build-up down the right).

But the biggest issue last night I feel was Conte. It's his Achillies heel, he has a terrible record against teams that aggressively press and was done AGIAN by a team that did so. I also thought we lacked control because the system meant we were totally outnumbered in the key areas of the pitch, Winks & PEH were outnumbered in the middle, both fullbacks were in 2v1 situations. What did Conte do? Nothing!

Conte's Chelsea couldn't cope with Poch's high-pressing Spurs, his Inter couldn't cope with Atalanta (many, many more examples draw from and his Tottenham is struggling against teams that press us AGAIN!!)

But please yeah, don't let me stop you, let it all out mate shapen the blades, light your torches and march on the town hall.
Good post.
Conte did not react in the 1st half and made poor subs in the 2nd.
But Royal was poor and Soton targeted him from the kick off.

the guy is a total and complete shambles. But i blame conte for leaving him on, especially when we were lucky to be ahead and you know he had mistakes in him to let goals slip. The entire defence had a bad game but royal is awful car crash of a player i have seen.
Who should have he replaced him with smarty? Emerson wasn't playing in some of the previous matches, and we still concede plenty of goals, and our defense was dog**** ....
With who exactly Conte got to replace him ?

Good post.
Conte did not react in the 1st half and made poor subs in the 2nd.
But Royal was poor and Soton targeted him from the kick off.
Thanks mate.

He was poor but it would take a World Class FB to have dealt with the threat of Saints last night and I'd suspect they too would have struggled given how we set up, specifically Saints didn't target him but the spaces around him.

The biggest problem was I felt both PEH and Winks were too high, so they were easily bypassed, it meant too that they could have two players either side of Royale (they did the same with Reggie too). It meant they were able to pull our back three out of position, so Royal would be pulled out wide with another player left unmarked behind him, which meant Sanchez got drawn to him, then Romero etc etc etc..

Quite often, Sanchez and Royal had swapped (as did Davies and Reggie) such was Southampton's movement. It did show that we didn't panic and that their was communication between our players to enable this but by being outnumbered (Saints always having a spare man over in space) we were terrible at closing them down and they more often than not crossed/passed unopposed.

I think all of this could have been countered if Conte started with a midfield 5 (with WB's) but perhaps more significantly if he did what he did when we played Leeds who for the first 45mins pressed us off the park, which was to drop Winks and PEH (or Bentacur) beside Romero (Central CB). This worked a treat against Leeds, meant that Dier (the central CB) was free (unpressed) and enabled us to build play through him which he did really well and it turned the game.

I don't think Conte did anything other than making subs which were like for like in terms of position and nothing changed positionally that helped players that were outnumbered. I think we improved 2nd half but I'd put that down to us trying to press Southampton more than we did in the first half, the issues of us being outnumbered in key areas were still there.

Last edited:
He is mate. He had a terrible game, as did most of the players out on the pitch today.

But don't let me stop you scapegoating him, fill your boots. (This is the first thing I've seen since logging in this morning, I haven't even read a single post other than you tag, I am absolutely 100% that there's a pile on today because this is what fans do right now, it's getting worse and worse. So fucking reactionary blowing hot and cold, keeping biased informed opinions. Booing the team after a poor 45mins, booing a world-class coach in his first home PL match at halftime.

As I said i think he had a poor game, I think Reggie was even worse (who defensively was nowhere, didn't stop a single cross into our box and fluffed every attacking situation down his flank - Our first, and 2nd came as a result of our build-up down the right).

But the biggest issue last night I feel was Conte. It's his Achillies heel, he has a terrible record against teams that aggressively press and was done AGIAN by a team that did so. I also thought we lacked control because the system meant we were totally outnumbered in the key areas of the pitch, Winks & PEH were outnumbered in the middle, both fullbacks were in 2v1 situations. What did Conte do? Nothing!

Conte's Chelsea couldn't cope with Poch's high-pressing Spurs, his Inter couldn't cope with Atalanta (many, many more examples draw from and his Tottenham is struggling against teams that press us AGAIN!!)

But please yeah, don't let me stop you, let it all out mate shapen the blades, light your torches and march on the town hall.

I agree with some of this, the Conte part especially. Piss poor tactical and structural set up last night. And whilst not loving Emerson, I also think some of the criticism of him is not rational or reasonable, it’s just pure scapegoatism.

This was evidenced in the Leicester game when we were actually worse in the second half when we swapped Doherty than we had been in the first with Emerson. Our last minute miracle fed the scapegoat confirmation bias.

Neither Emerson or Doherty are great attacking RB’s, pretty similar in actual production (very little) but at least Emerson is more dynamic and is generally better defensively (though not great last night obviously) and technically.

We maybe could have done better than Emerson, but I’m not sure which world class attacking RB who is also world class defensively, and can play RWB and RB - we could have signed - when Bayern Munich have Pavard as a RB, it tells us something about the availability of quality RB’s generally.

But I can’t help but point out (because agreeing with that bore The Mercurial No.10 The Mercurial No.10 is never a good look) you were pretty fond of scapegoating a previous spurs RB yourself.

I agree with some of this, the Conte part especially. Piss poor tactical and structural set up last night. And whilst not loving Emerson, I also think some of the criticism of him is not rational or reasonable, it’s just pure scapegoatism.

This was evidenced in the Leicester game when we were actually worse in the second half when we swapped Doherty than we had been in the first with Emerson. Our last minute miracle fed the scapegoat confirmation bias.

Neither Emerson or Doherty are great attacking RB’s, pretty similar in actual production (very little) but at least Emerson is more dynamic and is generally better defensively (though not great last night obviously) and technically.

We maybe could have done better than Emerson, but I’m not sure which world class attacking RB who is also world class defensively, and can play RWB and RB - we could have signed - when Bayern Munich have Pavard as a RB, it tells us something about the availability of quality RB’s generally.

But I can’t help but point out (because agreeing with that bore The Mercurial No.10 The Mercurial No.10 is never a good look) you were pretty fond of scapegoating a previous spurs RB yourself.
Like you did with Sissoko you mean

Now that was scapegoating

Who should have he replaced him with smarty? Emerson wasn't playing in some of the previous matches, and we still concede plenty of goals, and our defense was dog**** ....
With who exactly Conte got to replace him ?
smarty? You have to ask who we would replace him when there is another right wing back on the bench???? LOL tbh we could replace royal with 'anyone'. he is total shit. yes of course we concede goals when he doesnt play. because sanchez, reggie are both shit too but royal is by far the worst of the lot and make the decision to terminate aurier's contract to then spend money on royal a joke

Back
Top Bottom