Dortmund v Spurs- Ropey League Last 16.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont feel like theirs much pressure on us for this game.
They are the favourites.
Just go out & enjoy
Gain some experience in a big european game.

I guess a 1 goal loss will keep us in the tie.

If we lose by 2 or more then id be tempted to rest all key & tired players for the 2nd leg.
As wrong as it sounds.

I feel about a 10th of the anxiety that I did before the West Ham or Woolwich game, I am sure I am not the only one. Being second in league has meant the EL plays second fiddle especially with this draw.

These are two great games to gain more experience against a seriously good team, Poch will have them as ready as they can be.

Ground zero for this team was August 2015, if Poch at helm we will get better and better, this kind of game may have come a bit too early for us but we'll give it our best

6-0 Tottenham

Fuck sake ,some of you think we are playing bayern munich or barcelona..dortmund are a fantastic side but they are more tougher to beat than leceister city or woolwich.we probably wont win because they have 1 or 2 more goals in them than us but we sure as hell wont be outplayed.we will dominate posession and shots on target.i am more concerned of playing aston villa on sunday who will probably give their one best effort of the season.

Fuck sake ,some of you think we are playing bayern munich or barcelona..dortmund are a fantastic side but they are more tougher to beat than leceister city or woolwich.we probably wont win because they have 1 or 2 more goals in them than us but we sure as hell wont be outplayed.we will dominate posession and shots on target.i am more concerned of playing aston villa on sunday who will probably give their one best effort of the season.

Stopped taking seriously as soon as you said you were more concerned about Villa.

Fucking hell

...and we haven't beaten either?
..and lost both on aggregate?

Tottenham confront Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the deadly showman who turned them down
The striker found Tottenham’s attitude ‘weird’ when they were keen on buying him in 2012 and his prolific form at Borussia Dortmund suggests he will be a handful for Mauricio Pochettino’s team in their Europa League tie
Paul Doyle

If only Tottenham Hotspur had been less weird. Then they might not need to worry about trying to contain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in Dortmund on Thursday. Back in the summer of 2012, the Gabonese striker got the impression that Spurs were keen on buying him from the French club he was at, Saint-Étienne, but he was put off by the Londoners bewildering attitude. “In the end everything became a bit weird – I didn’t really like the way things were done,” Aubameyang later revealed. “If Spurs ever came back in me for me, I’d say no.”

Spurs were not the only ones to get things wrong when it came to Aubameyang, and at least they seemingly identified that he would go on to become one of the world’s top forwards. Milan had buried that expectation by then.

The Italian giants had high hopes for Aubameyang after signing him as a 17-year-old. His two older brothers, Catilina and Willy, were at the club, each having been recommended by same talent scout – their father, Pierre, a former Gabon international and a professional with several French clubs, including Laval, where Pierre-Emerick was born. The youngest of the three brothers was quickly identified as the most gifted. Not only did he have phenomenal speed but he was adroit technically and had a panther’s killer instincts.

He underlined his potential by scoring seven goals in six matches for Milan’s under-19 team in the 2007 Champions Youth Cup. But the bridge from the Milan nursery to the senior team was weak. Like the other players from that under-19 side, such as Matteo Darmian, now of Manchester United, and Alberto Paloschi, now of Swansea City, Aubameyang had to leave to blaze a trail to the top. And what a flaming big mistake by Milan that now looks.

In fairness to the Italians, they initially let him go only on loan and, although he made a big impact as an 18-year-old at Dijon, stints at Lille and Monaco were less impressive. So Milan offloaded him to a fourth French club, Saint-Étienne, on another loan but this time with an option to buy. Aubameyang flourished to the extent that Saint-Étienne snapped him up within a year for £1.25m. And his performances got even better. That is when Spurs showed an interest in the player, before irritating him. Aubameyang stayed at Saint-Étienne another season and, despite playing mainly on the wing, finished the 2012-13 campaign as the second-highest scorer in Ligue 1, behind only Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Newcastle United then tried to lure him from France but Aubameyang’s father advised him to accept a less lucrative offer from Dortmund instead, reasoning that the exhilarating counterattacking style advocated by the German club’s then-manager, Jürgen Klopp, would be ideally suited to the rapid player and, perhaps, a club that had just finished runners-up in the Champions League final held more appeal than one that had scraped to safety in the Premier League.

Although Aubameyang scored a hat-trick against Augsburg on his Bundesliga debut following his £9.5m transfer, Klopp was not convinced during the first season in Germany that the Gabonese forward would fit in at Dortmund. The club’s marketing director, Carsten Cramer, claimed this week that Klopp once backed out of signing a striker because he deemed his goalscoring celebration too self-centred, and Aubameyang’s declaration upon arriving in Germany that he would score at least 20 league goals in his first campaign left the manager similarly piqued and led to a dressing down for Aubameyang for appearing to rank individual targets above the collective. In the all-action style of Klopp, Aubameyang, used chiefly out wide, had to learn to impress by pressing and defending, too. “The coach does sometimes raise his voice a lot when he’s telling me to pull back and help the defence,” said Aubameyang in 2014. “I’ll know I’m doing better when he stops shouting at me from the touchline.”

The striker finished with 16 goals in all competitions in his first season but was erratic enough to make Klopp contemplate selling him. The player’s second season, and Klopp’s last, at Dortmund was much better even though the side struggled, the manager failing to adapt sufficiently to opponents who did not commit many players to attack. Aubameyang, at least, proved to be a conscientious and popular team player even if he enjoyed extravagant goalscoring celebrations, hairstyles and clothes, as to be expected from a showman who once wore crystal-encrusted boots for a Rhône-Alpes derby.

His form in the second half of last season was particularly devastating and he has ascended to an even higher level this term, setting a Bundesliga record by scoring in each of the first eight league matches of the season. Such excellence made the 26-year-old a deserving recipient of the 2015 African Player of the Year award and a customised Yaya Touré tantrum.

Dortmund’s new manager, Thomas Tuchel, has made the team more versatile and creative and Aubameyang, the team’s designated central striker though always adept at raiding from out wide, is showing his full repertoire of skills. He still tears teams apart on counterattacks but Dortmund now play with more structured possession and can regularly prise defensive teams apart with movement and ingenuity.

If Tottenham sit back in an attempt to guard against Aubameyang’s scorching pace, that will give more room for players such as Marco Reus, Shinji Kagawa and Henrikh Mkhitaryan to make mischief – without ruling out being undone by Aubameyang’s elusiveness, power and finishing.

The Gabonese is different from the striker he replaced at Dortmund, Robert Lewandowski, but both are deadly. This season the pair are battling not only for the title of Bundesliga top scorer but also, perhaps, to beat the all-time scoring record in Germany’s top flight, with Aubameyang’s 22 goals in 24 league appearances putting him one goal behind Lewandowski’s tally so far and only four goals behind the amount that Gerd Müller had at this stage in the 1971-72 season on the way to an eventual haul of 40 goals.

The only striker that Spurs wound up signing in the summer of 2012, as it turned out, was Emmanuel Adebayor. They also had a teenage Harry Kane on their books but the club were not yet fully aware of how good he would become and he was about to be farmed out to Norwich City, not having outgrown the hit-and-miss loan stint stage. Kane is flourishing now, of course. But how formidable a team they would be with both him and Aubameyang. As it is, the prospect of them trying to outgun each other is a very appetising aspect of a mouthwatering Europa League tie.

Tottenham confront Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the deadly showman who turned them down

...and we haven't beaten either?
..and lost both on aggregate?

Mrs..chill. We will get a draw or lose 1-0.it is not a big deal. Dortmund to me are overrated. Ok maybe not but maybe its equal to playing our german 'Doppelganger'.It will be a contest between two teams of similar weighting.But I think some on here are acting like they are giants. Anyways if we have our full fit x11 and adequate rest we can beat the best in europe.I believe that.But not if we are playing elp and europa with little rotation.

Stopped taking seriously as soon as you said you were more concerned about Villa.

Fucking hell

I am a long term suffering spurs fan. I haven't forgtten Van der vaart's 20 corners against Villa in 2011, and our 20x goal attempts only to finish 1-1. Villa are scum,they have been shitting on themselves all season but will choose sunday to have their best game of their life. This is a given.

Back
Top Bottom