Do we want to keep Kulusevski?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Kulu worth keeping?

• Yes

Votes: 109 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 26.8%

• Total voters
I don't spend time trawling through web sites or watching endless hours of football trying to seek out new talent.
But I do watch Spurs when they play and his performance, output, goals and effectiveness have dropped markedly from last season. I struggle to remember any great crosses, dribbles or tackles that you would expect from an attacking midfielder - Peresic has been awful but his crossing is sublime and I don't see that in this form either is worth keeping.

People keep saying he's still developing, he's 23 now, and I don't remember too many footballers that suddenly or even gradually became significantly better from that age - they just got regarded as being "reliable" at what they did.
At the end of last season - I would have said yes - in a loud voice.

I'm not paid to gamble on players regaining form, thats what managers have to do.

I'm not someone who forms attachments to footballers, nor do I feel compelled to support them, because I have talked them up in the past. I just look at what they do, and how much they positively impact the Spurs team, and currently he isn't making it any better.

Our biggest problem is that we don't have anyone else we can play there, because Conte shifted Spence off. Get Spence back and on current form he plays, and I would imagine that Kulusevski would be benched.
He only turned 23 a couple of days ago tbh.

Most forwards peak between 25-29 IMO.

People keep saying he's still developing, he's 23 now, and I don't remember too many footballers that suddenly or even gradually became significantly better from that age - they just got regarded as being "reliable" at what they did.

There will be a lot of players out there whose careers really kicked on after age 22/23. Partly down to learning what they need to do to be more effective on a football pitch.

You’re probably just getting old and losing some of your memory. Happens to us all.
Amount of times I go into a room and have no idea why I went on there is definitely increasing.

Some takes on here oh my god :)

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper As you always seem to have the opposite take on any normal given topic: Name a better suited 23yo player for 35m who is more of a goal threat and an creative output than Kulu. Curious to hear them

People are constantly saying Son shouldnt play ignoring how he won the golden boot last year but focus on the bad form this year. And somehow Kulu who had a few good games in a few months is how is supposed to be and lets ignore the higher number of games where has been shit all year. Wonky logic.

We have to find our version of Saka who is only 21 and already at a higher level than Kulu at 23.

There will be a lot of players out there whose careers really kicked on after age 22/23. Partly down to learning what they need to do to be more effective on a football pitch.

You’re probably just getting old and losing some of your memory. Happens to us all.
Amount of times I go into a room and have no idea why I went on there is definitely increasing.
.Nope - I don't share that view - players tend to be fearless at a young age and become more conservative and less likely to take chances as they get older.
I didn't say there were NO examples, just that in my experience they tend to just be more solid and reliable at what got them in the team in the first place

.Nope - I don't share that view - players tend to be fearless at a young age and become more conservative and less likely to take chances as they get older.
I didn't say there were NO examples, just that in my experience they tend to just be more solid and reliable at what got them in the team in the first place

Fair enough I can see your point.

I don't spend time trawling through web sites or watching endless hours of football trying to seek out new talent.
But I do watch Spurs when they play and his performance, output, goals and effectiveness have dropped markedly from last season. I struggle to remember any great crosses, dribbles or tackles that you would expect from an attacking midfielder - Peresic has been awful but his crossing is sublime and I don't see that in this form either is worth keeping.

At the end of last season - I would have said yes - in a loud voice.

I'm not paid to gamble on players regaining form, thats what managers have to do.

I'm not someone who forms attachments to footballers, nor do I feel compelled to support them, because I have talked them up in the past. I just look at what they do, and how much they positively impact the Spurs team, and currently he isn't making it any better.

Our biggest problem is that we don't have anyone else we can play there, because Conte shifted Spence off. Get Spence back and on current form he plays, and I would imagine that Kulusevski would be benched.
Personally, I think watching and hoping players develop is all part of the fun; especially for a club like ours. And making calls on whether they'll make it or not is all part of that.

I loved watching Pavlyuchenko. I thought he had great technique and I just wanted him to get a few more goals. It never happened and I was sad when he got sold back to the Russian league but that's all part of the sport. He won my eternal loyalty when he got that winner against Liverpool.

I was having a conversation with a Man City fan recently about Grealish's performance against Liverpool a few weeks ago and I was saying that JG was starting to show the work ethic that would turn him into a great player and he just said "I should hope so for £100m!". It's as though City expect ready-made players and don't care about watching them grow. To me, the price tag was irrelevant and I hadn't even thought of it until he brought it up.

Some GKs and CB's mature into the role and are better in their mid 20's but that's about it.

Personally, I think watching and hoping players develop is all part of the fun; especially for a club like ours. And making calls on whether they'll make it or not is all part of that.

I loved watching Pavlyuchenko. I thought he had great technique and I just wanted him to get a few more goals. It never happened and I was sad when he got sold back to the Russian league but that's all part of the sport. He won my eternal loyalty when he got that winner against Liverpool.

I was having a conversation with a Man City fan recently about Grealish's performance against Liverpool a few weeks ago and I was saying that JG was starting to show the work ethic that would turn him into a great player and he just said "I should hope so for £100m!". It's as though City expect ready-made players and don't care about watching them grow. To me, the price tag was irrelevant and I hadn't even thought of it until he brought it up.
Akanji for 15m , they can hope and watch him grown. Foden they have watched grown. For 100m you dont hope for a maybe prospect , for that price you expect a worldclass player.

This thread is fucking gold...no editing folks...any edit after this postdate will be taken as an adverse inference...this fucker is aging like milk!

There are plenty more guys on the list to replace prior to Kulu. If you have title winning expectations he's a bench player who can possibly change a game.
Same with the Biss thread (and several others I haven't opened, to be sure). Every bad result on this place is met with a laundry list of those on the pitch that must be replaced forthwith by generic barely scouted names drawn out of FM Manager, seemingly without considering that the players on the pitch were there because for each of them there's someone in the squad that is worse than they.

Sell GLC, PEH, Gil, Sess, et al. well before Kulu and Biss.

Sell GLC, PEH, Gil, Sess, et al. well before Kulu and Biss.
All of them should be sold except Bissouma...the order is immaterial!

seemingly without considering that the players on the pitch were there because for each of them there's someone in the squad that is worse than they.
Sell them too!

And I don't play football manager or any other video game...but I can tell when a player is shit and not worth persevering with.

Seems bizarre calling for him to be sold when we have far worse attackers still on our books. I'd rather sell Solomon, Gil and probably even Johnson before I'd sell Kulu.

The borderline-unhinged ranting and raving over this issue is both dull and boring.

Kulu stays. But he can't keep playing RW or even CAM, that's just not his game or our system. At least not as a starter. Man's built like Dembele, perhaps that's where he oughta play. I trust him a lot more as a combo 6/8 than I do Spurs' Bissouma or the recent version of Roddy.

Back
Top Bottom