Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Club must have known about this afore they got rid, not standing by him and passing the problem onto another party leaves a bad taste in the mouth and it would be poetic justice if we end up getting eff all fee for him.
I think Dele's words about him not letting anyone in while his career was in a downward spiral ought to be taken at face value in that sense. It's not his fault he wasn't more forthcoming about the things he was going through, but how else was anybody to know? All coaches and clubs could see was a player who had crystal clearly lost his desire to play and compete at a high level.

Still many challenges to come here and this may not have the happy ending we're hoping for. That said, it is the responsibility of both Spurs and Everton to see that this stupid appearances clause does not adversely effect the situation.

Throughout his career there was talk of him being lazy in training. I'm not one to give Mou the benefit of the doubt but some of the coaches would have briefed him before he saw him

From who?

This strikes me as stereotypical bullshit of black footballer who has a bit of character, bit flamboyant with their style, parades around with money, likes a laugh and a joke with his team mates therefore must be lazy narrative that we've seen with so many others.

From who?

This strikes me as stereotypical bullshit of black footballer who has a bit of character, bit flamboyant with their style, parades around with money, likes a laugh and a joke with his team mates therefore must be lazy narrative that we've seen with so many others.
Heard it loads throughout his career, might not be true but it wasn't just post mourinho.

I defend dele and always have done by the way.

I agree that trope is used about black players.

Club must have known about this afore they got rid, not standing by him and passing the problem onto another party leaves a bad taste in the mouth and it would be poetic justice if we end up getting eff all fee for him.

I'm not sure that's a given really. At least not in terms of knowing about his personal life. Sounds like he really didn't want to talk about it to anyone before now and the club may have been in the dark.

I think Dele's words about him not letting anyone in while his career was in a downward spiral ought to be taken at face value in that sense. It's not his fault he wasn't more forthcoming about the things he was going through, but how else was anybody to know? All coaches and clubs could see was a player who had crystal clearly lost his desire to play and compete at a high level.

Still many challenges to come here and this may not have the happy ending we're hoping for. That said, it is the responsibility of both Spurs and Everton to see that this stupid appearances clause does not adversely effect the situation.
Wasn't putting the onus on Dele, far from it, perhaps I should have been more forthcoming by saying the Club did know what was happening behind the scenes rather than alluding to it.

I take Dele at his word when he says he was not forthcoming about the root cause but that does not mean those in charge were unaware of the problems even if they didn't know what was causing it.

The truth of the matter is the Club had lost patience with him and decided to palm the problem onto someone else, pretty shabby tbh and before anybody jumps on the 'another dig @ ENIC/Levy' bandwagon we have form for discarding lege's PJ & JPG for example.

I've always said for him to get to the top level of professional football despite his upbringing is an unbelievable achievement. There have been rumours of him having addiction problems ever since he had those repetitive hamstring injuries. It has been pretty obvious there has been something up with him. I'm glad it has come out now because I think a lot of us feared we would never know. Quite concerning he says it is a problem in the game too.

Wasn't putting the onus on Dele, far from it, perhaps I should have been more forthcoming by saying the Club did know what was happening behind the scenes rather than alluding to it.

I take Dele at his word when he says he was not forthcoming about the root cause but that does not mean those in charge were unaware of the problems even if they didn't know what was causing it.

The truth of the matter is the Club had lost patience with him and decided to palm the problem onto someone else, pretty shabby tbh and before anybody jumps on the 'another dig @ ENIC/Levy' bandwagon we have form for discarding lege's PJ & JPG for example.
We seemed to support him a fair bit, lots thought a change of location may do him good (probably himself included) and he got another year or so of being paid top dollar.

If we want to help him out we should try to get rid of any potential payments to Everton, that's the only way he will get half a chance this season. I know it's only football but it would help him to get back somewhat.

I really wish him all the best with getting his career back on track. Had the potential to be the best 10 us and England had ever had, such a shame to find out why his downfall happened. He's dealt with a lot of shit and the media have not fucking helped him at all. Hopefully they'll be off his back now and he can knuckle down on performing well again at Everton or wherever they shift him to.

Football isn't a charity. You perform or you're out.

Everton represented another opportunity for Dele, we did as well by him as we were in a position to do (though as I mentioned above, we cannot allow this stupid clause to hijack his career in this pivotal moment, THAT would be inexcusable)

This is the thing, I hope for the absolute best for him as a person, but as a footballer he's either going to find refuge from his demons on the pitch or the situation isn't really going to change. I hope it does, but it's going to have to come from within him.

It's not fair that he has to overcome these horrific personal circumstances, but it's not fair that he was blessed with such colossal talent either. Sports is cruel, but it's a meritocracy for better or worse.

He was his own worst enemy here.
The media and gossip columns don’t bother with boring gits like Ben Davies.
Dele seemed to enjoy (almost bask) in being in the public eye.
Ben Davies is not an exciting player by nature, the media is obsessed with young English attacking talent, look at Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Bellingham, Rashford, a lot of column inches were dedicated to guys like Rashford and Sancho going through poor form, I don't think the players can do much to change it.

From who?

Always looked fit as a fiddle to me. He’s an instinctive, spontaneous player - would have flourished under a Redknapp and retired under Conte and his automations

Sleeping pills have been known about for years as a problem. This is from an Athletic article in 2021.

Such reasoning has been echoed by a worryingly high number of well-placed sources since The Athletic started an investigation into the use of sleeping pills in football. Medical experts within the game have shared their concerns about levels of dependency at their clubs, as well as places of previous employment, but players have privately admitted they would struggle to get on the pitch without them. Most do not realise there are associated health risks.

“It is a disease spreading quietly across football” according to one doctor who suggests “nobody is even trying to start the process of taking care of it”. He says sleeping pills are just as dangerous as some banned drugs if they are abused. “And many are abusing them.”

Here, The Athletic can reveal:

• Players across every level of the professional game are using lorazepam, temazepam and diazepam; prescription-based medications that are habit-forming and are associated with dementia
  • Some players have ignored the advice of their club doctors and have proceeded to medicate unsupervised
  • Some players feel pressurised into using them due to the relentless nature of football’s schedule
  • They have been used to treat anxiety, as well as insomnia related to the increasing number of night games and long-distance travel
  • Players are widely unaware of the dangers of sedatives due to a lack of education in relation to their perils
  • At least one elite footballer at a top Premier League club has been left out of fixtures because of his dependency

Back
Top Bottom