Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

TBF they were doing a pundit job, they had no idea what Dele was going through, nobody did.
And, frankly, Dele Alli does need to sort himself out. That doesn't change. We're just gaining some perspective on the reasons things have gone where they've gone and the difficulty of putting them right.

Not having a burning passion to play doesn't and wouldn't make Dele a bad person, and I hope and pray that he's secured some modicum of financial security for himself from the game at this point.

But that burning passion, and ability to sustain it and focus it, is what is required to put Dele back on a Premier League pitch, nothing else.

Selfishly I hope he can find that, just as someone who enjoys watching what he once was.

Just watched Dele's interview as well. Heart breaking stuff and I really feel for him.

Seems to be in a much better place now and I would love to see him get back to playing regularly in the PL where we can see him.

One of my favourite players of recent times for that ability to just do something different.

All the best Dele.

Don't like this splashed headline at all.
Didn't feel that was the main talking point of the interview. BBC letting themselves down there imo.

Should be more like, Dele speaks of his troubles or whatever..

dele.jpg

Sleeping pills have been known about for years as a problem. This is from an Athletic article in 2021.

Such reasoning has been echoed by a worryingly high number of well-placed sources since The Athletic started an investigation into the use of sleeping pills in football. Medical experts within the game have shared their concerns about levels of dependency at their clubs, as well as places of previous employment, but players have privately admitted they would struggle to get on the pitch without them. Most do not realise there are associated health risks.

“It is a disease spreading quietly across football” according to one doctor who suggests “nobody is even trying to start the process of taking care of it”. He says sleeping pills are just as dangerous as some banned drugs if they are abused. “And many are abusing them.”

Here, The Athletic can reveal:

• Players across every level of the professional game are using lorazepam, temazepam and diazepam; prescription-based medications that are habit-forming and are associated with dementia
  • Some players have ignored the advice of their club doctors and have proceeded to medicate unsupervised
  • Some players feel pressurised into using them due to the relentless nature of football’s schedule
  • They have been used to treat anxiety, as well as insomnia related to the increasing number of night games and long-distance travel
  • Players are widely unaware of the dangers of sedatives due to a lack of education in relation to their perils
  • At least one elite footballer at a top Premier League club has been left out of fixtures because of his dependency
I've mentioned in previous posts that I've worked in a medical department at a professional football club.

I think because it's relevant to my professional career this is probably what I will take away the most aside from the mental health issues Dele talks about.

There will be a bigger inquest and probably an official investigation started by the PFA and the medical boards into this now. But there might be people wondering how and why medical professionals at football clubs are not able to stop use of prescription drugs before it gets to the point of misuse and addiction.

There's a very fine line and I'm very glad Dele has re-iterated that he acknowledged that he wasn't seeking help even though others were there to provide it. I'm sure the medical staff at Spurs and Everton would have tried to make a connection with him. He seeked out sleeping pills from external sources that is out of the clubs control. A lot of players at the top end of the level have access to private doctors, often this is well regulated and there is a team of medical professionals from the parent club, private consultants and the players family/personal team there to make decisions. But it's very easy for this decision process to be sidelined into elicit pathways and it has happened numerous times in other sports e.g. Cycling, athletics, baseball, American Football

I've seen first hand lower in the football league how players are addicted to supplements not just sleeping pills. I have to say despite footballs global exposure, it's a relatively clean sport, more than expected. However, the demands placed on players are so high it forces them to take decisions beyond their control. When you combine this with the mental pressures, you've basically created a perfect viscous circle.

Sleeping pills and Snus seem to be a massive problem with players atm.

Either way was really hard to see Dele open up like that. Fair play takes massive guts and hoping this season will be a good season for him both on and off the pitch

No idea what you’ve done there but the comment quoted didn’t come from me.
ah... my bad. It's a quirk with this site when you delete a quote in your post, the text below it enters the body of the quote instead of actually deleting the quote element/object.

Admin Admin this might be something to look at. I've often had issues with this.

Heartrending watch, finding it difficult to take it all in. Just wish he had been able to talk it out before now. Better late than never I suppose. He's still only 27, so if he can stay healthy, would love to see him play again.

Also Sky; 3 years ago:

Neville
Keane
Souness

None of them were shy of being judgemental and wagging the finger.

No different to what 90% of this board was saying about him. Read back into this thread for confirmation of that. It's not exactly kind to him...

It's easy to be wise and considerate now but very few were so charitable when he was in his slump.

Keep sticking the knife in though you cunts.....

Hope those who've taken immense joy from slagging him off for the past several years have a long look in the mirror.

It's the old saying about everyone fighting their own battles. He seemed troubled back even when we first signed him when he didn't want to be called Alli.

These people don't exist just for our amusement. They're human beings, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom