Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The worst part is spurs should have far more insight to his personality and habits and should have been able to tell this was coming far earlier than an outside club.

Could have sold him while he had value… sure its a risk but so is any decision in this business.

Dele was one of Poch's golden boys..... Like many of these guys that are now being viewed with hind-sight glasses; selling Dele would have meant undermining the wishes of the manager whom everyone was in love with at the time.

We are so scared of being labeled a selling club that we throw money down the drain…

See above; you're talking about the bulk of the fan-base more than you are the club...... Selling Dele (or Dier or Kane or Eriksen) circa 2018 would have equaled endless crying about "Levy's selling all our stars against the manager's wishes".

Even teams like man city has moved on players like sane.

Sane wanted out for a so-called dream move to BM. Was sold.
Bit like Walker.

We really have been run like idiots the past several years. Wait till a player has no value before listening to offers.

The worst part is spurs should have far more insight to his personality and habits and should have been able to tell this was coming far earlier than an outside club.

Could have sold him while he had value… sure its a risk but so is any decision in this business.

We are so scared of being labeled a selling club that we throw money down the drain… Even teams like man city has moved on players like sane.

The problem with this, is if we sold him at his peak, there would have been absolute fucking riots from the fans accusing Levy of being in it for the money. We'd be laughed at as a selling club.
There is even the potential it could alienate other players in the squad.

Nothing is easy these days in football.

I think people make too much of Dele being a party boy. The biggest thing that killed his career was injuries. He is not the same player after those massive hamstring injuries. He simply can’t do the things he used to do. It’s blindingly obvious when you watch him that his legs just aren’t there anymore.

The Dele of today could not score that famous goal he scored against Palace or those headers against Chelsea. He doesn’t have the power or agility in his legs. I was never one of those who thought Dele was a fraud, he had an amazing talent but his body just can‘t channel it the way it did before. I hope he gets a nice move and can find a way to be an effective player again.

Last edited:
Another example of how penny-wise pound-foolish Levy has been
If Levy sold when Dele was in top form he would have been slaughtered by every spurs fan in the world.

Dele is finished here and needs moving on ASAP but I won't slag him off too much. He signed an extension to his contract and showed loyalty to us when he was being linked to big teams. It just hasn't worked out and that's a shame.

I think people make too much of Dele being a party boy. The biggest thing that killed his career was injuries. He is not the same player after those massive hamstring injuries. He simply can’t do the things he used to do. It’s blindingly obvious when you watch him that his legs just aren’t there anymore.

The Dele of today could not score that famous goal he scored against Palace or those headers against Chelsea. He doesn’t have the power or agility in his legs. I was never one of those who thought Dele was a fraud, he had an amazing talent but his body just can channel it the way it did before. I hope he gets a nice move and can find a way to be an effective player again.
People do not want to hear this, but I have said this many times. It's why I do not kill the kid. People want someone to blame.... that malicious Pixie between the posts they were cheering in the shoot out Vs Italy is a place to start.

Injury ruined Dele it's as simple as that. Folk should go back and watch him in his prime not the goals, the rest of his game. He had much more snap and athletic ability.

Whilst never quick once sprinting he could run away from players which is why his tricks used to beat players now the oponnet can recover and he has to turn back, that's the hamstring injuries. He could spring Ronaldo like and hang in the air heading great goals, this too went with his injuries. I'll always love the boy but he will never be what he was. Mourn but don't hate.

Dele was one of Poch's golden boys..... Like many of these guys that are now being viewed with hind-sight glasses; selling Dele would have meant undermining the wishes of the manager whom everyone was in love with at the time.

See above; you're talking about the bulk of the fan-base more than you are the club...... Selling Dele (or Dier or Kane or Eriksen) circa 2018 would have equaled endless crying about "Levy's selling all our stars against the manager's wishes".

Sane wanted out for a so-called dream move to BM. Was sold.
Bit like Walker.
Nope. Strictly an ENIC failure.

We are so scared of being labeled a selling club that we throw money down the drain… Even teams like man city has moved on players like sane.
Sane didn't want to be there.

It's not unreasonable that the club didn't sell him, he's still young and his drop in form could have been just short term or requiring the right manager to bring the best out of him. His previous suggested that he was highly motivated and had a high ceiling.
His drop off has been nothing short of astonishing really. From THE Golden boy of English Football to effectively a lower table squad player. Whilst the managerial appointments have been suss since Poch left and Conte joined, it's apparent to everyone and their dog that it's Dele that is the issue.

Hindsight is an amazing thing, but I doubt that more than a handful of fans would have been content with us selling Dele, even when his form first started to drop off. Like I said, most would have seen it as a kneejerk reaction at the time to a potential short term drop in form.

It has nothing to do with being scared of being labelled as a selling club, it was all about keeping the players that had been instrumental in our title challenges and CL final run.

We can all come out with the coulda, woulda, shoulda's after the fact. Making the right call at the right time with players is a much more difficult prospect.

If Levy sold when Dele was in top form he would have been slaughtered by every spurs fan in the world.

Dele is finished here and needs moving on ASAP but I won't slag him off too much. He signed an extension to his contract and showed loyalty to us when he was being linked to big teams. It just hasn't worked out and that's a shame.

He cost us 5m.... If he walks for free tomorrow; we've still had exceptional VFM from him.

and we should have cashed in when the hype was still lingering and some clubs were still delusional about his value.

Every transfer season since has only seen his value decline further than the last

Hindsight is fantastic, mind you time we should have sold him was last year when Jose wanted him out but even then his value wouldn't have been that much as his downward trend started way before that.

Sane didn't want to be there.

It's not unreasonable that the club didn't sell him, he's still young and his drop in form could have been just short term or requiring the right manager to bring the best out of him. His previous suggested that he was highly motivated and had a high ceiling.
His drop off has been nothing short of astonishing really. From THE Golden boy of English Football to effectively a lower table squad player. Whilst the managerial appointments have been suss since Poch left and Conte joined, it's apparent to everyone and their dog that it's Dele that is the issue.

Hindsight is an amazing thing, but I doubt that more than a handful of fans would have been content with us selling Dele, even when his form first started to drop off. Like I said, most would have seen it as a kneejerk reaction at the time to a potential short term drop in form.

It has nothing to do with being scared of being labelled as a selling club, it was all about keeping the players that had been instrumental in our title challenges and CL final run.

We can all come out with the coulda, woulda, shoulda's after the fact. Making the right call at the right time with players is a much more difficult prospect.

Bingo

While I was of the opinion that Dele was overrated at his peak and should have been sold, I can still understand Levy not doing so.

But the issue is that Dele's has been continously declining for a few years now and yet he wouldnt sell. Even when Poch took over at PSG, it was an opportunity to potentially get soome decent value for him but nah we wouldnt even entertain the thought.

A year after, we probably have to shop him around to find any decent takers

Hindsight is fantastic, mind you time we should have sold him was last year when Jose wanted him out but even then his value wouldn't have been that much as his downward trend started way before that.
Its not hindsight cos Dele was never the type of player that could justify his high valuations. He was a trequartista that excelled playing behind a top quality CF in Kane.

The kind of valuations he had are only justified for players that can carry a team and/or you build a team around imo. Dele was never that kind of player

Its not hindsight cos Dele was never the type of player that could justify his high valuations. He was a trequartista that excelled playing behind a top quality CF in Kane.

The kind of valuations he had are only justified for players that can carry a team and/or you build a team around imo. Dele was never that kind of player
Funny that you attribute Dele's success to playing behind Kane and not playing with Eriksen

Well... Kane is still at the club yet Dele's still shit

This BS narrative that Kane makes players around him better just needs to stop

While I was of the opinion that Dele was overrated at his peak and should have been sold, I can still understand Levy not doing so.

But the issue is that Dele's has been continously declining for a few years now and yet he wouldnt sell. Even when Poch took over at PSG, it was an opportunity to potentially get soome decent value for him but nah we wouldnt even entertain the thought.

A year after, we probably have to shop him around to find any decent takers
Youre arguement depends on poch wanting him. Im sure he seen what way dele was going!

Back
Top Bottom