Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If only this was track and field and not played with a ball. Tell me about his general efforts with the ball today. What'd think of those?
We didn't have the ball mate!! That's not his fault, we were shit.

This is why I urge you to rewatch it. You aren't going to see anything beautiful but in the context of a truly shit first half and an improved 2nd you will see why we didn't lose this game, his runs and movement were relentless and with his tracking back there was no one who put in a better shift.

Last edited:
We didn't have the ball mate!! That's not his fault, we were shit.
You are joking here aren't you? No, it's not only his fault but his general shit play with the ball is part of the problem. As much as Sissoko & Dier hide, Winks plays safe, and we play over the MF we don't see Dele taking up positions to receive the ball in the MF to help any of this. You're praising his shift but i ask you about his work in possession/with the ball. We had 54% possession for the game. CBA to check for the first half but it wasn't much worse but no one was offering and he was part of this.

GLC comes on and was offering and receiving. We don't need a track and field star we need a footballer in his stead.

I won't be re-watching that shitfest. Watching one Mou game in real time is enough for me. I will check back in with you on Saturday about this.

If he was "dog shit" in 99 games out of 100 but scored the winning goal in just 40% of them games you know that no coach in world football would leave him out right. Because that's the bigger picture and reality that many of his critics miss.

I know that. It's just that he's now performing like a player who is only good if he scores. No one in their right mind would leave him out of the team if he remains on a good scoring run, but if he does fuck all for 3-4 games running, then he's a waste of space in the squad. He can offer us more than goals, I wouldn't have said what I said had it not been the case.

If he was "dog shit" in 99 games out of 100 but scored the winning goal in just 40% of them games you know that no coach in world football would leave him out right. Because that's the bigger picture and reality that many of his critics miss.
Nope, they would leave him as an impact sub since that would essentially be the definition of such. So Dele's our Fellaini. Good stuff.

And the truly great coaches would prefer to gameplan around players that give more, more consistently. Origi has quite the fucking knack for scoring winners but he is shit everywhere else. Klopp knows how to use him...and it ain't for 90 fucking minutes.

Nope, they would leave him as an impact sub since that would essentially be the definition of such. So Dele's our Fellaini. Good stuff.

And the truly great coaches would prefer to gameplan around players that give more, more consistently. Origi has quite the fucking knack for scoring winners but he is shit everywhere else. Klopp knows how to use him...and it ain't for 90 fucking minutes.
Nah. You need a closer look at Fellanis record if you think, that. Not at all an equitable comparison. It's why Dele will continue to start for most coaches. Also he is not what is wrong with our horribly unbalanced side.

You are joking here aren't you? No, it's not only his fault but his general shit play with the ball is part of the problem. As much as Sissoko & Dier hide, Winks plays safe, and we play over the MF we don't see Dele taking up positions to receive the ball in the MF to help any of this. You're praising his shift but i ask you about his work in possession/with the ball. We had 54% possession for the game. CBA to check for the first half but it wasn't much worse but no one was offering and he was part of this.

GLC comes on and was offering and receiving. We don't need a track and field star we need a footballer in his stead.

I won't be re-watching that shitfest. Watching one Mou game in real time is enough for me. I will check back in with you on Saturday about this.
He's NOT a possession player, NEVER has been. So why are you judging him as this type of player, probably why you don't rate him. I don't get this logic at all. Like judging Lloris as a centre forward and then slating him for not doing what a centre forward does.

He's a unique player which makes him so good, a 2nd striker that runs from midfield. A player that is rarely on the ball for more than 3 touches, making runs that pull defenders out of position, leading our press (but I don't like our collective press at all at the moment but that's a team thing not individual) and doing this whilst also tracking oppo runs.

He can't be pigeon-holed as a 2nd striker, a 10 or a box to box. As I said, it will be a hard watch but try to rewatch the game but just follow Dele, no one else. Don't judge him against a preconceived position or role, watch his runs and space he creates or the number of runs that are never picked out. But above all assess what his contribution is against the activity he's performing with or without the ball.

Won us the game today, but didn't offer much else. Needs to improve.
I'll settle for that.

This is why I urge you to re-watch it. You aren't going to see anything beautiful but in the context of a truly shit first half and an improved 2nd you will see why we didn't lose this game, his runs and movement were relentless and with his tracking back there was no one who put in a better shift.

I abdicate to judge anyone while we have a midfield of Sissoko/Dier/Winks. That's our major problem and make all the team looks shite. When we have a proper midfield we can judge the others properly.

He still infuriates me.

Today, he gave the ball away both with simple passes and trying unnecessary flicks. He was also digging out those around him which really grinds my fucking gears.

But it was a wonderful goal.

Am I crazy or was he drifting wider today?

Maybe it was a response to what Brighton were doing, but I felt Dele and Sessegnon were often taking up positions too close to one another throughout the game. Then Lo Celso came on through the middle of the park and we looked more dangerous.

He still infuriates me.

Today, he gave the ball away both with simple passes and trying unnecessary flicks. He was also digging out those around him which really grinds my fucking gears.

But it was a wonderful goal.

I get what you’re saying about the digging out part of this, but I think, if done correctly it can be a good thing. We need players in the side, who aren’t happy with coming second, who aren’t happy with losing at home to Chelsea, etc. There needs to be a competitive edge within the squad.

As long as he‘s not going around telling them they are shit, and he’s the only one who can play, then I’m fine with it.

I listened to that Podcast with Steve Perryman, and there was something he said about leadership. Would like to see him go and have a nice long chat with some of the players, including Dele and see if he can’t rub off on them a bit.

Did JM have a sly pop at Dele in that vid where he was praising Kane?

I noticed a few times yesterday Dele bombing into the pen area and being free but not getting the ball. Verts was the main culprit.

Back
Top Bottom