Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's easily in the top 3 under 23yr olds in world football. If you are asking they are Dele, Ndombele and Asensio. Not going with the hype around Mbappé, he's good but for me, he lacks the intelligence of those I've named and right now the praise is for a kid who can run really fast.

Playing through injuries and obvious fatigue, trying to get used to differing formations, positions and team mates. Poch isn’t one for rotating but I’m sure I’ve only seen Kane, Dele, Son and Eriksen as our front four a few times this season.

He’s not a Messi who is on top form every single match, he’s like Son, in as much as he is either exceptional or awful, but like Son, is a player who can turn a match with a single touch.

Should be in the team wherever possible but it would be nice to see him be rested sometimes. Who for, I have no idea.....

Playing in three completely different roles in three different seasons yet you expect the same outcome??? If he went in goal would you still make the comparison of him not scoring 18 goals?
I expect him to be able to pass from whatever position he’s plays.

The excuses are long fetched. He’s been crap.
Just because he said playing a different position it means when he in front of goal, he can’t be world class anymore?

Or he can’t header the ball? Or because he’s deeper he has lost all ability to dribble past players?

It’s a poor excuse, and it’s tiring.
If he’s not doing what he does best, he needn’t be on the pitch. Skipp should play, and as I said it’s on Poch.

I expect him to be able to pass from whatever position he’s plays.

The excuses are long fetched. He’s been crap.
Just because he said playing a different position it means when he in front of goal, he can’t be world class anymore?

Or he can’t header the ball? Or because he’s deeper he has lost all ability to dribble past players?

It’s a poor excuse, and it’s tiring.
If he’s not doing what he does best, he needn’t be on the pitch. Skipp should play, and as I said it’s on Poch.
He absolutely hasn't been crap I've debated this with you before so not worth going over the same ground. You think he's been shit for two seasons, I categorically refute this. I think this has been a difficult season for him, it's been interrupted by injury as far back as the tail end of last year and certainly into the World Cup. He's by no means unique in this as many other players have also not been able to gain any kind of rhythm this season due to injury/fatigue whatever (not just Spurs players). Not an excuse, just facts, but despite this he's still the better option and completely justifies his selection in the team.

He literally dribbled past West Ham on at least three occasions on Sat.

He's NEVER had a high pass success rate (even in the years you claim were his best), he's a one-touch passer, high-risk passes and flicks. They don't often come off because they are high risk but when they do then we have invariably broken oppo lines. But this is him, accept him at this. His biggest fault has ALLWAYS been holding onto the ball too long when passing from deep. Because he isn't lightning quick with the ball at his feet he can present the opportunity to catch and disposes him if he hasn't passed the ball, he needs to improve here and as he's only 23 it's not exactly a lot to think that he just might do so.

Skipp (who I adore) hasn't impressed when he's played, he's probably held his own once but looked out of his depth on the other occasions he's played. How you think he justifies a start in place over Dele is completely lost on me.

Look every time I log on I have 15 alerts for quotes.

For everyone’s sake, I’m not taking any more debates on the points I’ve already made for the rest of the day. Think what you want.

My views are crystal clear.

The way I see it is Dele has become too cushy in his position and status in the team. His stats for his age are remarkable - but they've also declined for the second consecutive year. And while he is being asked to operate more deeper, it's not really working.

The fact is Lucas has been more of a goal threat this season. Lucas is a better player if you want individual magic (he can dribble past multiple defenders towards goal, Dele beats one then tries to nutmeg another losing the ball).

Therefore subbing Lucas off was absolute madness. The sub should have been Wanyama for Dele. We would have retained our attacking threat (which fell apart when Llorente came on) and we would have bolstered the midfield.

And when you bolster the midfield, in turn the attack benefits. We could have penned West Ham in for the last twenty minutes with a more physical presence in the middle stopping them from getting out of their half and that would have meant relentless pressure on their goal. Instead they actually created enough chances to win 2/3-0.

Dele and the management team have to decide where his future lies in terms of position and role. He's not switched on enough to run a game from midfield and if it were down to me I'd be looking at someone like Ruben Neves who is technically superior and walks into our midfield. Then I'd seriously considering benching Dele since as a forward he doesn't offer more than the others we already have.

The way I see it is Dele has become too cushy in his position and status in the team.
Good post.

I think this section can be applied to most of the team. You have to have strong competition for your place otherwise complacency can set in.

Which is why I think we should be looking at signing players who will challenge for the first team rather than "squad" players.

Good post.

I think this section can be applied to most of the team. You have to have strong competition for your place otherwise complacency can set in.

Which is why I think we should be looking at signing players who will challenge for the first team rather than "squad" players.
We have them....Moura and Lamela (when fit) but neither get a look in at Deles expense no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom