Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The pace of the game was way off what it was midweek, it was 75 degrees pitchside and it's only inevitable given the physical and mental effort of a couple of days before are all reasons for this to be the case. This, however, doesn't mean he stood off, doesn't mean he wasn't pressing their players, doesn't mean he wasn't box to box. It means he wasn't (everybody with I'd say the exception of Bernado Silva who had his 3 Weetabix) playing with the intensity of Wed but no one did bar Silva.

I don't think there was any real focus on pressing yesterday, and I agree with a lot of what you are saying. For me, we were quite passive. We tried to stay compact. Mid/low-block, not much space between the lines, tried to plug those passing lanes. Relied on last-ditch stuff to avert the danger. The front 2 were given licence to do almost nothing when we were out of possession. Because we were tired and it was damn hot, I can live with this, but I was disappointed with our use of the ball. We did very little in the way of stringing a few passes together.

I found this hard to believe, but do you know what the xG stats were yesterday? 2.06 for City. 1.20 for Tottingham.

Not sure what the clean sheet stat is supposed to show?? But he is an elite player. His biggest problem is from the day he shone at Spurs it led to West Ham, Woolwich, Chavs, levels of outrage and hate towards him. This gets picked up by the racist media who pushed the black street kid narrative (same levels as Sterling) combined with the whole focus on money, girlfriend absent parents story (the opposite to Kane for example where he's media persona is one of perfection, yes Kane gets hate from the opposing fanbases but at least he gets supported by the media). You's be hard pressed to find a more hated player in the league!!!

Also, take into account that Pogba and Hazard are penalty takers for their clubs!! All of Dele's goals are from open play.

I love Dele, without a doubt, one of the best midfielders in Europe. A player that is developing under Poch in areas that have gone unnoticed, he can now play in 3 positions (still needs to develop when deeper) but he's still only just turned 23yrs old!!

Alli future is in midfield, he's a good player but it's too easy to nulifiy him given our squad depht, he and Eriksen are the only players that can create something in the team, so the only ones that needs tight marking, that's so predictable. Despite the problems I miss Lamela in games like today, playing another creative player makes us a lot more dangerous. Edit: make us dangerous.

He had his highs and lows in the deeper role, but let’s face it he was much better in the forward/false 9 role and we were much better with a ram like dembele in midfield.

We should look for a class CM this summer so we can actually utilize one of the game’s best young players

Back
Top Bottom