Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where on earth did he suggest that?

Dele has been poor this season. Its a simple fact and not sure what riles people up about it.
I agree he hasn’t performed to the level of last season, so by his own lofty standards, he’s had three or four bad games. I don’t agree that this is cause to drop him as he’s a huge danger to the opposition.

Where on earth did he suggest that?

Dele has been poor this season. Its a simple fact and not sure what riles people up about it.
He said the standard for him now is to perform to the same level he did end of last season in those 5-7 games towards the end. Expecting that level every week is ludicrous

He said the standard for him now is to perform to the same level he did end of last season in those 5-7 games towards the end. Expecting that level every week is ludicrous

To be fair we are now 7 games into this season....I dont think its unreasonable to expect to see Dele play with the form of the previous seasons last 7 games at least once this year. He hasnt been that good for one single game.

Thats not expecting his normal level every week, but I dont expext him to be below 50% nearly every week for two months.

I agree he hasn’t performed to the level of last season, so by his own lofty standards, he’s had three or four bad games. I don’t agree that this is cause to drop him as he’s a huge danger to the opposition.

I dont get that thinking. Son is a huge danger too.....but only when in form, but I would expect him to be benched had he played as poorly as Dele for most óf the season.
Ditto Kane, Toby, Eriksen or whoever.

I dont see the justification.....no one would have a problem hauling Lamela off for similar displays.

People are getting confused with being subbed, or starting on the bench as meaning outcasted from the first team.

And then they get outraged when Shearer says its wrong to bring off Kane.
Just all very bizarre, considering most people were so desperate to sign competition for Dele just a few weeks ago.

For what? To never rotate him anyway?

I dont get that thinking. Son is a huge danger too.....but only when in form, but I would expect him to be benched had he played as poorly as Dele for most óf the season.

I dont see the justification.....no one would have a problem hauling Lamela off for similar displays.

People are getting confused with being subbed, or starting on the bench as meaning outcasted from the first team.

Just all very bizarre, considering most people were so desperate to sign competition for Dele just a few weeks ago.

I think he’s been ok so far. A couple of goals and assists. Some good movement. Great footwork in the box at the weekend and was unlucky not to score. That why I’d not drop him.

I certainly don't think he's been poor this season - probably a 6/10

Yeah Dele has been ok so far. But considering the heights he reached last season it is not that weird that people are expecting him to deliver more. And expecting more is fine as long as you can be constructive. But people are mixing up starting on the bench or being subbed with being cast out of the team.

Dele Alli delivering at 70% is still a mighty fine and useful footballer. But we all know that in modern football you are either shit or you are amazing. A middle ground is seemingly not allowed to exist.

1wvxxe.jpg

Seriously you twats, we need a scapegoat and since Dele is not performing like a world class star every game (which is impossible unless you are Messi/CR), people are jumping on him. He's not been that poor to be dropped from the team. He's still scoring goals and providing assists, and next game onwards, I suggest you pay extra attention to his off the ball movement. His runs are so useful to create space for the fullbacks and Harry Kane. The opposition defense always struggles to mark him. Just the last game, he was involved with his quick passing to create the second goal and almost scored where he hit the post. He's as important as Eriksen for us.

1wvxxe.jpg

Seriously you twats, we need a scapegoat and since Dele is not performing like a world class star every game (which is impossible unless you are Messi/CR), people are jumping on him. He's not been that poor to be dropped from the team. He's still scoring goals and providing assists, and next game onwards, I suggest you pay extra attention to his off the ball movement. His runs are so useful to create space for the fullbacks and Harry Kane. The opposition defense always struggles to mark him. Just the last game, he was involved with his quick passing to create the second goal and almost scored where he hit the post. He's as important as Eriksen for us.

“Seriously you twats”???

How can anyone take you seriously coming out with something like that??

If you disagree with someone on whatever debate it don’t insult the poster or poster(s) as you just have

For what it’s worth I agree with you regarding Dele

While not performing to his best ability I would imagine that he’s still one of the first names Poch puts on the team sheet

Winks cannot replace him as he’s a different player but I love Winks and he has a great future

Son cannot replace him either
Again I love Sonny but prefer him as an impact sub

But all different arguments

Dele starts whenever available

Yes it was a stupid dive on Saturday but neither he nor anyone else claimed a penalty

So you get booked for falling over now?

The way Dele was laughing afterwards I got the impression that he regretted doing it while he was in mid air and should have just received a bollocking

Shearer annoyed me on MOTD (he usually does!) when droning on about it being a deliberate attempt to cheat etc
It was ok for that cunt to elbow other players in the face though!

Just a thought but what with his CL ban he IS being rotated. Wouldn't be wise to be playing Sonny every minute, so why not try and let him play himself into form?

Because that’s not where he plays. Same reason we don’t play Kane at left back.

And more to the point, you’d honestly drop one of the best AMs in world football, who delivers 20+ goals and a load of assists a season, for an untried midfielder playing out of position? A midfielder with two dozen appearances? Because Dele hasn’t performed like a superhuman in a few matches? Really?
Wouldn’t hurt to try him as an AM in the cup games no? Maybe even against lower table teams too

1wvxxe.jpg

Scapegoat for what? It’s not like we are losing games and people are looking for someone to blame.

He’s not been playing that well. That’s not to say he isn’t contributing anything at all or having the odd moment of quality. He is a quality player and when we dominate games like we are he’s bound to have good moments.

I think some people are being a bit too precious about him tbh and the reactions to the criticisms he’s had of late are ironically way more over the top than the criticisms themselves.

Its right to critique him, yet I'm kind of glad he has been suspended for the England game this week.Thats probably more of a comment on the England set up more than anything. Being out of a team for once will probably give him a different perspective when he watches the match.

I feel like the press and some fans sometimes don't take in to consideration that these players are reading their own data from games, they know exactly where its not happening for them, but in games you'd go on instinct most of the time for Dele's ilk of player.

He isn't playing to the high standards he has set but he'll be beating himself up more than anyone about parts of his game.

he's been involved directly in 5 goals this year already. That's not bad for a player out of form. He's still massively involved in most of our good attacking play but i think there are several factors behind his form.

no one has played well at wembley yet (in the league)
injuries to wanyama/dembele has meant poorer ball turnover, retention and service from CM. Its also meant eriksen has (more) regularly been dropping a lot deeper to help build play, meaning our front 3 has become a front 2 too often.

I'm not remotely worried and i wouldn't drop him. It not about getting him playing like last season, its about getting the whole team playing like last season.

It not about getting him playing like last season, its about getting the whole team playing like last season.
But the whole team can't do that when one of its most important players is off the boil.

Kane has arguably got even better.....somehow. Jan, Toby, Dier, Eriksen all performing top class.

Davies still getting better week to week, Winks doing well, Sissoko doing well, Son playing well every time he comes in.
The new boys playing like they have been here for years.

It's extremely unfair, and with all respect, frankly downright ridiculous to lay Deles poor form at the feet of the team when everyone else is outperforming him.

No one else gets awarded that leeway, not Son, not Lamela, Tripper and certainly not Sissoko.

I get that he's important and lots of people's favorite but for crying out loud can we just let the guy carry his own faults, and accept that they do exist.

But the whole team can't do that when one of its most important players is off the boil.

Kane has arguably got even better.....somehow. Jan, Toby, Dier, Eriksen all performing top class.

Davies still getting better week to week, Winks doing well, Sissoko doing well, Son playing well every time he comes in.
The new boys playing like they have been here for years.

It's extremely unfair, and with all respect, frankly downright ridiculous to lay Deles poor form at the feet of the team when everyone else is outperforming him.

No one else gets awarded that leeway, not Son, not Lamela, Tripper and certainly not Sissoko.

I get that he's important and lots of people's favorite but for crying out loud can we just let the guy carry his own faults, and accept that they do exist.

who hasnt accepted his faults? i said he's out of form - however, his output is still good and the reality is that the team dynamic has shifted somewhat due to injuries and playing at wembley. It would be inappropriate to discount that completely, but that doesn't mean I'm giving him a free pass, just that i don't think dropping him right now is the right move.

who hasnt accepted his faults? i said he's out of form - however, his output is still good and the reality is that the team dynamic has shifted somewhat due to injuries and playing at wembley. It would be inappropriate to discount that completely, but that doesn't mean I'm giving him a free pass, just that i don't think dropping him right now is the right move.

Which is fair enough, but as in your post, like in many others, there always seem to be a reason for Dele being poor that revolves around others.....oh Swansea defended too well or the full backs are in his space, or he's getting used to Wembley or the team has to perform well and that's all that matters.

It's always an excuse other than he needs to grow up a bit and be extremely careful not to turn into one of those players with early potential that ends up getting found out, and doesn't have the right mentality to evolve his game and improve.

Too much sitting on the floor and losing possession and not enough fight and desire.

But hey, why should he bother when his place in the start 11 is sacred...

Back
Top Bottom