Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FTFY

Yeah he had a great start at the club where we really clicked and everything went in. He was god awful last season but it was Conte so got a pass and he’s been very mid this season.

Last year Son was getting criticized for his play...(but he had a hernia injury..) what was Kulu's excuse...?

Not to mention Son still produces more than Kulu anyways.

We need to sign a proper winger ASAP.

Kulu worked in that first season under conte because he was playing as an inside forward than a true out and out touchline winger...not to mention he was playing with Son and Kane at their best...

Overall a limited player...squad player at best...if this club has any aspirations to complete with liverpool...city...nowhere near good enough to start.
Agreed. On the wing at least. I feel like he has more potential as a midfielder but even then, I think time as a rotational squad player might be best

A frustrating performance from Kulu yesterday, particularly first half.

I said in the Palace match thread that he was continually hugging the line in the first half and when he received a pass he simply turned and got blocked by a Palace defender. No great defensive displays were needed, the Palace players simply stood their ground and Kulu ran into them time and time again. When he did manage to pass through them it was like he never looked up and just passed into a space where no team mate was standing or about to run into. He looked like he needed to be on the receiving end of a bad foul or to have a penalty claim disallowed to get him riled up. Just didn’t seem interested. Improved second half but overall still didn’t offer much in my opinion.

I say frustrating because on another day he is capable of coming up with a goal and two assists without any trouble and I think that’s what Ange believes so keeps playing him. Personally, I didn’t hear any moans or groans directed towards him in the ground and hope they don’t start because that never helps.

He was (still is) strong, physical and hardworking and was commonly beating his FB for fun.

He was also very keen to shoot (which has totally been drilled out of him since).

He was also creating a fair bit earlier THIS season that weren't being converted...... So perhaps his stats being depended on the finishing of others isn't the indictment you presented it to be.

How many chances has Kulu created this season...? 9 big chances...thats not bad but not amazing either.

For example, to put things in context, Son has 14 despite player as a striker more often than not and Salah leads the league at 18....

Even if we want to use the eye test...how many times has Kulu passed when he is supposed to shoot..and shot when he was supposed to pass..? his decision making isn't good enough either honestly.

People want to hype up Kulu as this creative player...when reality...thats not even true.

The one thing Kulu is good at is ball progression and hold up play because he is a physically strong player with some technical ability IMO.

The other aspects of his game are below average.

Last year Son was getting criticized for his play...(but he had a hernia injury..) what was Kulu's excuse...?

Not to mention Son still produces more than Kulu anyways.

We need to sign a proper winger ASAP.
Kulusevski only started 23 league games last season. He picked up 7 assists and 2 goals - only Perisic had more assists with 8 from the same amount of starts.

Son is a world class player. On an off season he will produce good figures. Most players in world football would produce less than Son - it's not a fair comparison.

We would be lucky to sign another player of Son's ability this decade.

Right, exactly why we should ship him out NOW. Like you, there are others that have not cottoned on and will think he would be a helpful player and might pay real money for him. Now is the time to exploit that ignorance not much later when everyone can see it.

I'll check back with you later and we'll see if it was "delusional".

It's not 'think he will be a helpful player' - it's that he HAS been a helpful player. Nothing predictive about what he has already done.

Gil, Lo Celso, Sessegnon are players we should be getting rid of before him as they offer us less.
He gets picked as overall he is and has been more 'helpful' and available to us than Solomon, Johnson, Gil, Sessegnon, Lo Celso & Werner. Can include Perisic, Danjuma & Moura in the comparison as he deservedly stayed above those 3 that were already moved on this season.
Only Johnson and Werner look capable of exceeding what Kulusevski has already done. We should keep him next season with Johnson, Werner, Son, Solomon then probably bring 1 more wide forward in that's already a proper player - not some N'jie, N'koudou, Danjuma, Bergwijn type of punt.

The delusion is thinking we can buy players that Liverpool or City would want as anything more than squad fillers. Thinking we should sell one of our better producers as though a replacement will automatically return more.

It's the logic of fans that shout about starting players like Rodon, Scarlett, Spence, Phillips, Danjuma, Bergwijn etc on the back of a defeat. Football manager theories.

Check back later, whatever. I'm not making predictions for his future. He could drop off to obscurity, but what he has done for us already is decent. He's not a useless sack of shit we should flog at the earliest opportunity until he is a useless sack of shit.

Kulusevski only started 23 league games last season. He picked up 7 assists and 2 goals - only Perisic had more assists with 8 from the same amount of starts.

Son is a world class player. On an off season he will produce good figures. Most players in world football would produce less than Son - it's not a fair comparison.

We would be lucky to sign another player of Son's ability this decade.

2 goals 7 assists in 2120 minutes is absolutely fucking dreadful from a wide attacker. Let's not pretend otherwise.

His numbers actually perfectly reflect a player. Both this season and last season. He's just okay. There are lots of wide players with more impressive numbers, but he's got better numbers than the bad ones. For a guy playing in a very attacking team, it isn't great but it isn't totally terrible either.

He's pretty creative, not much of a goal threat and works hard. Is he in the top 10 wingers in the league at the moment? Probably not, no. Lots more with just a lot more pace & a lot more directness, who actually cause defenders headaches.

Someone like Saka is just night & day. Comparisons to him were always barmy and tribalism based, they aren't in the same weight class.

2 goals 7 assists in 2120 minutes is absolutely fucking dreadful from a wide attacker. Let's not pretend otherwise.
"Dreadful" is an exaggeration.
It's the best we have had other than Son and Kane since Eriksen.

"Dreadful" is an exaggeration.
It's the best we have had other than Son and Kane since Eriksen.

9 goals and assists is the best we've had from a wide attacker since Eriksen?

It's shit mate. Not even hitting double figures combined isn't even close to what you expect from a good wide player at a top 6 club.

His numbers actually perfectly reflect a player. Both this season and last season. He's just okay. There are lots of wide players with more impressive numbers, but he's got better numbers than the bad ones. For a guy playing in a very attacking team, it isn't great but it isn't totally terrible either.

He's pretty creative, not much of a goal threat and works hard. Is he in the top 10 wingers in the league at the moment? Probably not, no. Lots more with just a lot more pace & a lot more directness, who actually cause defenders headaches.

Someone like Saka is just night & day. Comparisons to him were always barmy and tribalism based, they aren't in the same weight class.

Yeah I'm not claiming he's one of the best in the league - far from it.
Just saying he's good, a decent player. Definitely not our worst, but we also aren't one of the best sides in the league and haven't been other than a couple of seasons 60 odd years ago.

The comparisons to Saka were of course tribalism, like Woolwich fans saying none of our players would make their starting 11.. Though I remember this conversation more so at the start of last season, where they had just come out of the 21/22 season with the following stats;

Saka: 38 games, 11 goals, 7 assists.
Kulusevski: 18 games, 5 goals, 8 assists.

9 goals and assists is the best we've had from a wide attacker since Eriksen?

It's shit mate. Not even hitting double figures combined isn't even close to what you expect from a good wide player at a top 6 club.

Yes we haven't had very good attackers other than Son & Kane for a while - but Kulusevski has been one of the best we have had.

He might get 15 goal contributions this season. It's pretty good, not mind blowing, but certainly good enough to not be a player we need to cut ties with at the earliest opportunity.

We just aren't in a position we can afford to do that.

How many chances has Kulu created this season...? 9 big chances...thats not bad but not amazing either.

For example, to put things in context, Son has 14 despite player as a striker more often than not and Salah leads the league at 18....

Did I say anything akin to "amazing"? Nope.

The part that I contradicted was you saying that his 1st season stats flattered him when in fact his all round performances were befitting of his numbers. He was tenacious, gave the oppo hell and had a great synergy with Doherty...... What has come since doesn't change that.

My second point; the logic I just presented seems to have escaped you.

People want to hype up Kulu as this creative player...when reality...thats not even true.

........The rest; I can't help it if you want to strawman other people's opinions or hyperbole onto my comments.

Even if we want to use the eye test...how many times has Kulu passed when he is supposed to shoot..

I already noted that myself...... He's generally become shot-shy.

and shot when he was supposed to pass..?

Virtually none (see directly above!).... The fucker barely shoots anymore. Rather than shit on him; wouldn't you rather decipher why?

BTW assists in general can be a misleading stat....how many of Kulus assists last season were simple layoffs to Kane...and he did all the hard work...? Big chances created is a far better stat IMO.

Kulu has season had 6 big chances all season long...nowhere near good enough to be a "Creative player", even this season he has a lot less than Son who has played striker more often than not...Son isn't even known for being some amazing creative player either.

Long story short...squad player at best...Spurs should look to sign far better players.

You funny.

Six goals makes him the (joint) 30th top scorer in the league. Am I meant to be impressed by this or something, because he's our third top scorer? If Maddison and Johnson hadn't had big injuries he wouldn't be.

You're great at coming up with meaningless statements. He's our third top scorer! He'd be fourth if we had Scott McTominay at the fucking club, worldie of a player him.

Yes we haven't had very good attackers other than Son & Kane for a while - but Kulusevski has been one of the best we have had.

He might get 15 goal contributions this season. It's pretty good, not mind blowing, but certainly good enough to not be a player we need to cut ties with at the earliest opportunity.

We just aren't in a position we can afford to do that.

I don't want us to cut ties with him. I want us to dump him on the bench where he belongs and sign an attacker that causes problems game in game out, actually causes defenders some headaches, and would aim for 20 g/a at a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom