Dejan Kulusevski

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn’t the ‘ far from a great one’ description refer to Johnson, Solomon and Gil as well?
Yes, but they are more natural fits on paper for Angeball.

Kulu lacks the natural agility and quick first step required of a touchline winger for Ange - the three you mentioned all have that going for them, regardless of other flaws, plus Bryan weighs a pass very well which makes him an interior option as well.

Kulu needs 40-50 yards of space to build up momentum to be an effective winger, he's mostly ineffective from a standing start.

Yes, but they are more natural fits on paper for Angeball.

Kulu lacks the natural agility and quick first step required of a touchline winger for Ange - the three you mentioned all have that going for them, regardless of other flaws, plus Bryan weighs a pass very well which makes him an interior option as well.

Kulu needs 40-50 yards of space to build up momentum to be an effective winger, he's mostly ineffective from a standing start.
Similar problem to Sissoko then? Dejan is obviously a more technical and fine tuned player than what Moose was. But we did see that Sissoko's physical attributes served him better working as a central midfielder rather than a winger.

Similar problem to Sissoko then? Dejan is obviously a more technical and fine tuned player than what Moose was. But we did see that Sissoko's physical attributes served him better working as a central midfielder rather than a winger.
I read somewhere that Dejan has said that his best position is more centrally. Ange might be the man to spot this.

Exactly. More than raw speed, agility is the no1 thing a high end winger needs to have, because the options in which way they are more limited. Sissoko’s inconsistent close control also allowed the oppo fullback to close in and disrupt him, whilst in midfield he could just outmuscle a midfielder trying to do the same thing and surge forward down the middle.

A strong midfielder can just ride contact from any direction and normally has more options direction wise. Dembele was similar; ok in the wing, but his game went up another notch in the middle. All three love sticking there shoulder in, using their body, and “feeling” the opponent.

I think if we move him into an interior role, then his signing will end up a lot like Porro's; a very good signing but not for the role we originally intended.

Great coaches maximise what their players can and can't do - the long term solution should be to sell GLC, let Perisic's deal expire, move Kulu inside, and buy another real Ange winger like Kaoru Mitoma (deal expires in 2025) or another high end young talent like Antonio Nusa.

All of a sudden we'd have a plethora of quality options in the wide and creative areas:

Wingers: Mitoma/Nusa, Johnson, Solomon

Creators: Maddison, Kulusevski, Bryan.
Yeah, Nusa looks unreal.

View: https://x.com/TheSpursExpress/status/1701697256854782405?s=20

Watched highlights and it is a streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetchhh to implicate Kulu in the second goal. Third was a pen.

But he has a tendency to hold the ball a bit too long, and when he inevitably must pass there is. No-one there to pass. So the ball ends up with a player in the other team. That's what happened against Austria. I'm having hopes that Ange will coach it out of him.

Mitoma is 27 and would cost 100m.

Good player. Never happening.
Mitoma's contract expires in 2025. as things stand, Brighton will be lucky to get £50mil for him, he's gonna be more Bissouma or MacAllister than Cucurella or Caiceido.

Mitoma isn't 27 until next summer. He also doesn't have many miles on the clock regardless, he's a late bloomer, only been pro for 5 years, barely played 160 games for club and country.

I'm willing to make an exception in his case.

But he has a tendency to hold the ball a bit too long, and when he inevitably must pass there is. No-one there to pass. So the ball ends up with a player in the other team. That's what happened against Austria. I'm having hopes that Ange will coach it out of him.

Sounds like the over-cautious influence of a certain Italian to me.

He's a pretty intelligent player, he has to be with his pace limitations.

Conte completely neutered him last year, and we all thought it would take time for Ange to implement his system. I think the rapid way many of the players have adapted to his system has kind of caused us to not remember that it could take longer for some of the players to get fully up to speed.

Deki's been generating space and the opportunities are there for him, I think he'll get there eventually.

Seems obvious Kulu will likely play against low blocks and Johnson would be preferred for the games that have more space.

Kulu vs a Brentford and Johnson against a Burnley for example. Same on the other side. Son against the low blocks, Richy up top. Solomon and Son against the more open teams.

Back
Top Bottom