Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think we're particularly well-run, slightly above average for what you'd expect from a club of our stature I'd say. And each month that passes without another trophy or the first 'stadium brick' being laid, that reputation slips a little more.

That hurts because it's true. I suspect that the thrashings are why AVB's tenure ended as well - not because of the dissatisfaction within WHL but because the huge beatings we got (without handing any out) made us seem less than City and Liverpool to the world when Levy wants the perception to be that we're up there with them.

German football is good without a doubt, and I wish we could have a league like theirs in terms of atmosphere, cheaper prices, etc. For sure I would stilll be going to the Lane and would have gone more over the last ten years, if we had a place where you could stand and sing, drink beer in the ground, not be harassed by stewards (I know that, mostly at least, they're just carrying out club/government policy, so not their individual fault)

I was talking about the Prem only when I said 'City was the best run club in the Prem.'

As Gothamizm rightly says Levy wants us to be up there with City and Pool, and that's an admirable attitude. But unless ENIC put a lot more money into the club, in the case of City at least, it's living a dream that ain't coming true. Even Pool, who by their standards of the past 50 years haven't been as dominant in the Prem era, still have stacks more trophies than us. I think during ENIC's tenure they've won at least six to our one, and their six includes one of the 'Big 2', the CL, and also the UEFA Cup. So we're a long, long way from matching them over the past 14 years.

I was talking about the Prem only when I said 'City was the best run club in the Prem.'

As Gothamizm rightly says Levy wants us to be up there with City and Pool, and that's an admirable attitude. But unless ENIC put a lot more money into the club, in the case of City at least, it's living a dream that ain't coming true. Even Pool, who by their standards of the past 50 years haven't been as dominant in the Prem era, still have stacks more trophies than us. I think during ENIC's tenure they've won at least six to our one, and their six includes one of the 'Big 2', the CL, and also the UEFA Cup. So we're a long, long way from matching them over the past 14 years.
By 'best run', you seem to attribute being run well as having hundreds of millions poured into the squad with total disregard for stability, as long as a trophy is won here and there, that's successful.

It won't be long before some of these bigger teams start to pay for their ruthless spending. Just look at Malaga. Perfect example of why that model you so crave doesn't work. Would I swap our recent history with their CL run to the quarters, only for them to be banned from Europe for 2 years, their owner disappear, their stadium be left half built, their players leave as wages can't be paid, and slumped back to mid table mediocrity?

No.

I'd rather be competitive on a weekly basis with the City's and Chelsea's.

And for the record, I wouldn't swap our recent history with Liverpool either. They're a disgraceful club, the ownership has been abysmal over the last few years, and their fall from grace was spectacular and a joy to watch. They are (unfortunately) building back up again, but they are still several world class players short of a league title push, and it'd be a miracle if they fluked another CL any time soon.

We're a better side than them, we have proved it over 38 games for the last 3 or 4 seasons. They might have a cup run now and again, but fuck me so did Wigan, and Bradford. Would I rather be them than us?

No.

okay maybe my heart ran away with me but we are surely one of the better run clubs?
I would say we`re one of the better run "business models" in the premier league. Which is all very good if you value profits off the pitch more than success on the pitch, as Daniel Levy so obviously does. I actually worry about where the club is heading under Levy/Enic. If I saw a new stadium actually being built I`d have more confidence. But it starting to look 2018 could see us in the 5th largest ground in the capital, behind the likes os QPR and West Ham. Actually you could make that 6th if Leyton Orient get there way.

Last edited:
@ John Thomas John Thomas They might have bigger stadiums, but that doesn't mean their attendances and atmosphere will be better than ours. I love White Hart Lane, and will be sorry to see it go. But it's a damn sight better than Upton Park, Loftus Road, or any new stadium they will try and build (or steal off the tax-payer)!

@ John Thomas John Thomas They might have bigger stadiums, but that doesn't mean their attendances and atmosphere will be better than ours. I love White Hart Lane, and will be sorry to see it go. But it's a damn sight better than Upton Park, Loftus Road, or any new stadium they will try and build (or steal off the tax-payer)!
But their attendances will increase and the clubs will grow and prosper as a result. We are usually around about 9th or 10th in the attendance averages but if the ground was bigger we would definately be a lot higher. Surely no-one can argue the limited capacity at WHL as held us back over the premier league period. So, when I look at the the "Levy " years in terms of trophies and success on the pitch and stadium development off the pitch my only conclusion is that as a football club his tenure has been not much short of a fucking disaster.

I would say we`re one of the better run "business models" in the premier league. Which is all very good if you value profits off the pitch more than success on the pitch, as Daniel Levy so obviously does. I actually worry about where the club is heading under Levy/Enic. If I saw a new stadium actually being built I`d have more confidence. But it starting to look 2018 could see us in the 5th largest ground in the capital, behind the likes os QPR and West Ham. Actually you could make that 6th if Leyton Orient get there way.

Joe Lewis and Enic are in it to make money. Ask Peter Hill-Wood et al how much an established champions league club with a 60,000 seater stadium in London is worth. How much did Sugar sell the club for?

And oh how our reputation has slipped when we didn't pick up any of the trophies on offer in November or December...
Well I can think of 2 trophies we 100% again wont be picking up in March and May. You know, the ones that Swansea and Wigan picked up last season.

Joe Lewis and Enic are in it to make money. Ask Peter Hill-Wood et al how much an established champions league club with a 60,000 seater stadium in London is worth. How much did Sugar sell the club for?
Of course they fucking are. Which is why they will never sell the club so long as they can keep milking it.

Of course they fucking are. Which is why they will never sell the club so long as they can keep milking it.

I imagine they are more interested in the big sale at the end rather than what they may be getting out of it now, which to Lewis is peanuts. Hence the big transfer fees, the stadium and training ground. The end game is selling a club worth 800m instead of 200m.

But their attendances will increase and the clubs will grow and prosper as a result. We are usually around about 9th or 10th in the attendance averages but if the ground was bigger we would definately be a lot higher. Surely no-one can argue the limited capacity at WHL as held us back over the premier league period. So, when I look at the the "Levy " years in terms of trophies and success on the pitch and stadium development off the pitch my only conclusion is that as a football club his tenure has been not much short of a fucking disaster.
West Ham have already admitted they will be practically giving tickets away to fill the reduced Olympic stadium. Kids go free deals and all sorts. Does that push the club forward? No. And if they are relegated, it won't make fuck all difference anyway!

Stadium sizes and attendances aren't the key to success. Look at Sunderland, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Woolwich, even Leeds have a bigger stadium than us!

Might I refer you to previous posts in this thread regarding Bayern Munich and their ticket prices/stadium size. The increase in capacity and additional monies earned is minimal in comparison to the TV money our clubs receive, so to suggest that by building a larger stadium will push them on as a club is completely unfounded.

The club has moved on significantly from when they took us over. But until we win the league or spend like City and Chelsea we won't be happy?

I imagine they are more interested in the big sale at the end rather than what they may be getting out of it now, which to Lewis is peanuts. Hence the big transfer fees, the stadium and training ground. The end game is selling a club worth 800m instead of 200m.
And what if we are worth £800m? That would suggest that they have taken us a hell of a long way as a football club. If they earn a shit load of money at the end of it and leave us as title contenders and financially stable, they'd have done a superb job, and we could only hope for someone similar to buy us.

All this bollocks that ENIC are "in it for the money" - are you not smart enough to realise that unless we are successful ON THE PITCH, we will not be successful OFF IT - therefore - it is in ENIC's best interests to invest and push us on as a club to earn as much money as possible, whilst balancing the books to a degree so as to not make it a wasted venture for them.

Fuck me, the club isn't going to simply gain significant value if we sell sell sell and never reinvest. We require results on the pitch, and continued progress as a club. And that is something they have delivered.

And oh how our reputation has slipped when we didn't pick up any of the trophies on offer in November or December...

Mmmm, okay if you want to put it like that

But ... first off notice the 'or' in what i wrote

'another trophy or the first 'stadium brick'

So in november or december did you see the stadium construction starting ? I didn't, apparently the supermarket is a wowser though - :)

then notice the construction of the whole sentence

'And each month that passes without another trophy or the first 'stadium brick' being'

As JT correctly infers, we now know that December ensured we won't be winning the League Cup, when it's paraded at Wembley in the next couple of months or so, it won't be by us.

January now has told us that in May the FA cup won't be ours either.

Mmm, so how accurate/funny is your reply? I leave you and others to judge

Anyway, regardless of the semantics the point remains as I and JT, amongst others,are making. Our trophy count is poor under ENIC and it's looking like it will be even poorer after this season. The EL is our only realistic chance left IMO.

While the lack of capacity expansion in the entire 13 years plus of ENIC's reign, is a massive failure, so far, in their tenure.

Yep, and again that might be to the club's detriment, if ENIC, as they almost certainly will, try to milk the biggest amount of money out of a prospective sale, and quite likely in the process put off potential buyers. Or even if the buyers buy, they may well not have so much to put into the team, if the price they pay for Spurs is top dollar. The Sheiks and RA got City and Chelsea relatively cheap. Certainly nowhere near £800m, even allowing for inflation.

I've nothing against ENIC making money out of us per se, what i am against is our lack of trophies and new stadium. If by putting a 'top of the market price on us' that holds the club back, then I'm not happy.

As ever, results on and off the pitch will be the determinant, for me anyway, of their relative success/failure.

Last edited:
Yep, and again that might be to the club's detriment, if ENIC, as they almost certainly will, try to milk the biggest amount of money out of a prospective sale, and quite likely in the process put off potential buyers. Or even i the buyers buy, they may well not have so much to put into the team, if the price they pay for Spurs is top doollar. The Sheiks and RA got City and Chelsea relatively cheap. Certainly nowhere near £800m, even allowing for inflation.

I've nothing against ENIC making money out of us per se, what i am against is our lack of trophies and new stadium. If by putting a 'top of the market price on us' that holds the club back, then I'm not happy.

As ever, results on and off the pitch will be the determinant, for me anyway, of their relative success/failure. For me, anyway.
You are aware that owners are now limited by financial fair play which aims to make teams operate within their means, so no matter who comes once Enic leaves won't be able to throw money into the club account for player purchases as we have to get those funds from our own revenue stream...

And what if we are worth £800m? That would suggest that they have taken us a hell of a long way as a football club. If they earn a shit load of money at the end of it and leave us as title contenders and financially stable, they'd have done a superb job, and we could only hope for someone similar to buy us.

All this bollocks that ENIC are "in it for the money" - are you not smart enough to realise that unless we are successful ON THE PITCH, we will not be successful OFF IT - therefore - it is in ENIC's best interests to invest and push us on as a club to earn as much money as possible, whilst balancing the books to a degree so as to not make it a wasted venture for them.

Fuck me, the club isn't going to simply gain significant value if we sell sell sell and never reinvest. We require results on the pitch, and continued progress as a club. And that is something they have delivered.

Did you get a sense that I disagree with you? I am glad we are owned by this group

Yep, and again that might be to the club's detriment, if ENIC, as they almost certainly will, try to milk the biggest amount of money out of a prospective sale, and quite likely in the process put off potential buyers. Or even i the buyers buy, they may well not have so much to put into the team, if the price they pay for Spurs is top doollar. The Sheiks and RA got City and Chelsea relatively cheap. Certainly nowhere near £800m, even allowing for inflation.

As ever, results on and off the pitch will be the determinant, for me anyway, of their relative success/failure. For me, anyway.

The Glaziers style would be worst case scenario. Which I don't think can happen anyway (?) Buying the club with borrowed money and then using the revenues to pay it back meanwhile building a squad of mediocrity!

Back
Top Bottom