Cult Heroes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just checked

1986 and I got Neil Webb mixed up

Metgod also scored

Medication 💊 time!!
Oh well at least you didn’t get Neil Webb mixed up with Johnny Metgod. One was a useless fat cunt with the pace of a snail and the other was a useless fat cunt with the pace of a snail…

:harryhmm:

Lol, that's just a list of shit players.
Vega is an interesting one though, used to get loads of abuse when he played for us I think but in recent years has always spoken positively of the club and got involved in some good trolling
Vega. Curious one. Had ability. But no stability.

Jason Dozzell????
I'm not sure if the below piece of football from him warrants 'cult' status - but when he did it, at least 3 of the letters in CULT came out of my mouth.

I'm not sure who the match was against - could have been his last match for us against Coventry in 97 . Anyway, as I recall (in my hazy old memory) he picked up the ball around the centre circle at WHL, there was plenty of space, as none of the opposition bothered closing him down (maybe they all had premonitions of what was to come) and no one was within 10-15 yards. Dozzell looked up ahead, he looked left and he looked right at which lilywhite shirt to pass to, ready to caress the ball sublimely in their direction - at which point he launched it into the top of the East Upper Stand.

ABSOLUTE CULT.
Love this ^

Vega. Curious one. Had ability. But no stability.
Did he? I couldn't stand him. Think it might have been his first season with us under Gross where he was a mainstay in defence and we flirted dangerously with relegation. Maybe he was a bit of a scapegoat in a poor side with a dreadful manager I don't know. He certainly wouldn't make my cult hero list though!

Did he? I couldn't stand him. Think it might have been his first season with us under Gross where he was a mainstay in defence and we flirted dangerously with relegation. Maybe he was a bit of a scapegoat in a poor side with a dreadful manager I don't know. He certainly wouldn't make my cult hero list though!
Agree with that. He is no cult hero. None of my list were in reality they all reflected poor times.

Sedgely was proper Spurs. Seem to remember him making wanker signs to Woolwich players on the pitch back in the day. Can’t remember who the commentator was, possibly Motson, who piped up with “One or two gestures there not fitting of a North London derby…” when he spotted it.
Did it to Roy Keane in the 91 cup final too 😝

In recent times, Lamela. For one season, Sissoko took up the mantle of cult hero.
There’s a difference between club legends/greats and the cult heroes imo. A cult hero isn’t really appreciated outside of the club he plays for. It’s that weird connection a player has with the fans above and beyond.
Richy is presently a cult hero. Loved at Everton by their fans. Loved at Spurs by ours. But not really liked/appreciated elsewhere.

In recent times, Lamela. For one season, Sissoko took up the mantle of cult hero.
There’s a difference between club legends/greats and the cult heroes imo. A cult hero isn’t really appreciated outside of the club he plays for. It’s that weird connection a player has with the fans above and beyond.
Richy is presently a cult hero. Loved at Everton by their fans. Loved at Spurs by ours. But not really liked/appreciated elsewhere.

Even during his good year Sissoko wasn’t appreciated by a few on here

Despite all the flak he didn’t moan, got on with the job and improved his game

Even during his good year Sissoko wasn’t appreciated by a few on here

Despite all the flak he didn’t moan, got on with the job and improved his game
He was a bit of a cart horse. But he was out cart horse. And to add to him not moaning, getting on with his job and always trying to improve, I’d add that he was well liked by his team mates. Seems a decent sort. Definitely a cult type hero for me.

Back
Top Bottom