Cult Heroes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A lot of posters don't seem to understand what a 'cult' hero is.

Hoddle, Ardiles etc are not 'cult', they were great players admired by all. 'Cult' heroes are usually players that give everything, have a special relationship with the fans through how they might not be the most the most gifted or admired by the media/other fans, they seem to love the club and know what it means to the fans when we win.
Yeah you're right. Only reason i said Archibald is because he was quickly a fan favourite and seems a bit overlooked now, even back then to extent but he was a great player so a bit borderline if he was cult. The best mentions are Naylor, Roberts, Ekotto and maybe Nayim but it took him 2 or 3 years to become a cult hero.

I've never understood the adulation towards Steffen Freund.

Incredibly limited player, came on the hard man to Roy Keane then shat his thong and ran away when the latter faced up to him...

Is it because he never scored for us?
100 per cent agree. He was everything that was wrong with Spurs at the time. An already limited player with his best days behind him.

Hoddle, Ardiles etc are not 'cult', they were great players admired by all. 'Cult' heroes are usually players that give everything, have a special relationship with the fans through how they might not be the most the most gifted or admired by the media/other fans, they seem to love the club and know what it means to the fans when we win.

Michael Dawson

Bleeds Spurs and never a backwards step

Last edited:
Alfie Conn....

Played in an era where cults were cults, and cunts were cunts!

CLOSE THREAD!

I was there in the Shelf when he scored a great half volley against the Chavs

Not sure if it sent them down or not but I had a great view of it as we attacked the Paxton and bedlam in the crowd as loads of the fuckers had got in the Shelf

Mitchell Thomas.

//end thread
Actually, being serious, I have a lot of affection for big Mitch.

But for me, my cult heroes include

Mabbutt
VDV
Lamela
Jan Vertonghen
Dawson

All for slightly different reasons, but a common theme: I really like it when players still obviously care about our club after they have left - it shows that we were more than just a pay cheque. I love it when former players talk about โ€œweโ€ in commentary. I met Daws last summer and his kids were wearing replica Spurs shirts. For me, thatโ€™s the sort of thing that makes a cult hero. One of us.

cult; noun (POPULARITY) someone or something that has become very popular with a particular group of people:

When they first arrived, I think Ardiles (and Villa) were treated with suspicion by football fans other than Spurs fans, simply because they were foreigners who most of late '70s England didn't really warm to...
But WE did!

Roll on to 1982, he was booed from pillar to post BECAUSE he was an Argentinian in the wrong country at the wrong time....
But SPURS fans still loved him.

cult; someone or something that has become very popular with a particular group of people:

I think that closes the case for the defence m'lud!

When they first arrived, I think Ardiles (and Villa) were treated with suspicion by football fans other than Spurs fans, simply because they were foreigners who most of late '70s England didn't really warm to...
But WE did!

Roll on to 1982, he was booed from pillar to post BECAUSE he was an Argentinian in the wrong country at the wrong time....
But SPURS fans still loved him.

I think that closes the case for the defence m'lud!

In 1982 I remember going to Forest and the racial abuse he received was disgraceful

We lost 2-0 I think with Nigel Cloughie having an outstanding game

Mitchell Thomas also played well but it was a depressing day

In 1982 I remember going to Forest and the racial abuse he received was disgraceful

We lost 2-0 I think with Nigel Cloughie having an outstanding game

Mitchell Thomas also played well but it was a depressing day
Clough made his debut in 84.

Jason Dozzell
Andy Gray
Roman Vega
Kasey Keller
Steffen Fraud
Matty โ€œBet 365โ€ Etherington up to the day he was pelted with season ticket books.

:tanguythumb:

Who am I thinking of then?

Who the fuck was I thinking of then?

Scored one goal and I donโ€™t think that Mitchell Thomas was playing

Just checked

1986 and I got Neil Webb mixed up

Metgod also scored

Medication ๐Ÿ’Š time!!

Back
Top Bottom