Could the fans buy ENIC out.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They have investments in several sports franchises but that is different from owning and controlling a club. Would make more sense if they cut their teeth on a Champo club.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.

So had we won the champions league, suddenly the club has been run well for the past 20 years or so?

We aren't a top club. That's what I think Levy is changing.
He's taking his time, don't you think?

Delivered a world class stadium, training facilities, etc. When will on field match off field?

I don't think its emulation as much as realization that this is how you compete in modern football if you don't have unlimited funds.

The Coutinho sale basically took Liverpool from competing for Top 4 to European Champions and two points from winning the league. They took that money, along with Sakho cash (lol), and bought VVD, Allison and Fabinho. They also hit the jackpot on Robertson and TTA. They've pretty much had flawless transfer business since the summer of 2016. Some of that is good scouting and a solid plan, and some of that is luck. They also have more revenue so that certainly helps (£455m in 17/18, Tottenham had 20% less at £381m).

I am hoping that selling Eriksen, Toby, Trippier, Rose for £160m and reinvesting that, plus some academy prospects and some good luck, and we can end up in a similar place.
Agreed. I do believe its realization, though our success at it in the 15 years prior to FSG's arrival gave a pretty good example to follow.

I don't know about all the sales, all at once. But Ive gotten tired long ago of the transfer sagas...I'll just support the club that takes the field in a month. Just don't have the energy to care about transfers these days.

This is just a proposal and a kite in the sky to see what could be achieved but here is the scenario.

Man United fans are currently paying the loan off the glazers took out to buy Man U through general trading. What if you cut out the middle man. Tottenham fan base has a lot of financial expertise within its numbers. What if we could raise a vehicle that paid off ENIC then awarded 2 votes to season ticket holders 1 vote to members and the loan would be paid off through general trading. The terms of which would be fully explained. The club would then belong to it's fans. Stadium plans would be transparent i.e. admitting we can or cant afford it. We could vote the board in on 3 year cycle. With a yearly AGM. No dividend would ever be issued. All profits ploughed back into the club or into cheaper tickets.

I have no idea if this can work or if is even viable it's a discussion piece but it would at least warrant an examination. Could you imagine spurs owed by it's fans fighting for it's fans maybe even being honest with it's fans.

COYS

they want the club to be successful so that when they sell it, it will have the highest return on investment.

It's at the point now where I think Lewis will die before the club is sold.

I don't know what happens then.. maybe his kids take over, maybe Levy and his family buy a larger stake, maybe complete new ownership - but I see this happening within 10 years.

So had we won the champions league, suddenly the club has been run well for the past 20 years or so?
But thats a nonsense statement because we didn't, did we.

You might just as well say had we not won the Double in 61 Bill Nicholson would have been an average manager.

Or if we hadn't won a Major European trophy and two FA cups in the 80s it would have been a shit decade.

It's not about what might have happened, it's about what did happen.

And we just went through a complete decade without a major trophy for the first time since WW2, while simultaneously recording the highest profit margin in the clubs history.
Surely you can understand the paradox there and why some fans are uncomfortable with it?

But thats a nonsense statement because we didn't, did we.

You might just as well say had we not won the Double in 61 Bill Nicholson would have been an average manager.

Or if we hadn't won a Major European trophy and two FA cups in the 80s it would have been a shit decade.

It's not about what might have happened, it's about what did happen.

And we just went through a complete decade without a major trophy for the first time since WW2, while simultaneously recording the highest profit margin in the clubs history.
Surely you can understand the paradox there and why some fans are uncomfortable with it?

It's not a statement - just a hypothetical question. I don't think it makes a difference to 'how the club has been run', which is my point.

The lack of cups I would mostly put blame on the players and managers.
Everton, Portsmouth and Wigan have managed to lift the FA cup more recently than us (outside the big boys) but that's still only 3 teams in 28 years. Their 'below par' players and managers were capable of a magic cup run that we weren't. And for the majority of that time, we haven't been a 'big boy', so a plucky cup run was the best we could hope for like those clubs - going off the old reputation of Spurs being a 'cup team'.

More recently we have been in that higher category of clubs that you could expect to be one of the usual cup lifting suspects - yet have failed to do so. Poch has been pretty vocal on his lack of ambition to win a domestic cup, so he fields rotated teams with players lacking minutes until the later stages. So you can argue - its the poor squad depth that Levy is responsible for and to a certain extent I would agree. But lets look at the FA cup last season;

Dumped out 2-0 away to Palace. Rotated team with a Premier league fixture 3 days later. This was our staring 11.

Gazzaniga - 1 mil?
Foyth - 10 mil?
Sanchez - 40 mil?
Vertonghen - 12 mil?
Trippier - 4mil?
Skipp - Academy
Dier - 5 mil?
Walker-Peters - Academy
Moura - 25 mil?
N'Koudou - 10mil?
Llorente - 12mil?

That's over 100 million worth of players with 2 academy products, failing to win at Selhurst Park.
From my perspective that's not the fault of the owners. You could blame recruitment, scouting, manager, youth coaches, players themselves - but I simply do not blame Levy or Lewis. They had the tools at their disposal to get further than Palace away in the 4th round.
The season before, it was a very poor Utd in the semi. That might be the most deflated I have ever left a football stadium - I think because Dele gave us the lead, the place erupted like never before, and we fucked it up. The man that can't be criticised (Dembele) fucked up. We played Vorm, but that's no excuse for registering 2 shots on target in the entire game, with Eriksen, Dele, Son and Kane all starting.
How could you blame Levy for that? United had been fucking awful until that game, when their players rose to the occasion.

The inability to compete for the Premier league - blame is more easily attributed to the men upstairs as I feel that we would have had to have been spending at the rates of Chelsea, City, Utd to have a strong enough 25 man squad. Which brings me full circle really - what we have been building with this 'project' is allowing us to compete at their level, or at least a lot closer to it.

I'm not hating on Poch by the way. I think it's more to do with an ingrained sense of being at a failure club that rubs off on the players. We need to break that with 1 decent cup win - then I believe we will be flying.

Back
Top Bottom