Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair one

Can honestly say I never noticed anything like current animosity

I have the sense that growing up in Essex I had a far more intense exposure to Spammers than many Londoners back in the day.... (Fuck all gooners round our way back then.... WH, Liverpool & Spurs probably most supported in that order.)

From my earliest memory they always seems like a team with an undercurrent of an inferiority complex....

Still, like they say, just cos you're paranoid, don't mean they're NOT out to get you.

It stems from the nineties I'm my opinion , they jumped on us because we were a big club who were floundering and they painted a target on our backs if ours and Woolwich roles were reversed in the 90's they would be huge Woolwich haters and Spurs b fans
I’m not disputing the other opinions on this but this is my take on it

It stems from the nineties I'm my opinion , they jumped on us because we were a big club who were floundering and they painted a target on our backs if ours and Woolwich roles were reversed in the 90's they would be huge Woolwich haters and Spurs b fans

It was signing Defoe that started it, in my opinion. For them, that was the starting point where we got their best player while they were a Championship (or was it called the first division back then?) club, and they wanted to be us at that point, and hated us for taking their player. They wished they were the big club taking the small clubs asset. Then they got promoted and we actually played each other being in the same division. After some yo-yoing they established themselves, just about, as a Premier League side. Thing is, we kicked on ourselves and started challenging as a top team in the league and in Europe. They got a new stadium, a shit one. We got a new stadium, an amazing one. The gap between us has basically remained the same and we are still what they wish they were. They are full of jealousy over us. To us though they are just an annoyance. I've come on this thread bored and after reading each of the threads about our real rivals first. How can we care about them when we're challenging the big boys for titles?

That gif above with the the dog waging it's tail sums it up perfectly.

It was signing Defoe that started it, in my opinion. For them, that was the starting point where we got their best player while they were a Championship (or was it called the first division back then?) club, and they wanted to be us at that point, and hated us for taking their player. They wished they were the big club taking the small clubs asset. Then they got promoted and we actually played each other being in the same division. After some yo-yoing they established themselves, just about, as a Premier League side. Thing is, we kicked on ourselves and started challenging as a top team in the league and in Europe. They got a new stadium, a shit one. We got a new stadium, an amazing one. The gap between us has basically remained the same and we are still what they wish they were. They are full of jealousy over us. To us though they are just an annoyance. I've come on this thread bored and after reading each of the threads about our real rivals first. How can we care about them when we're challenging the big boys for titles?

That gif above with the the dog waging it's tail sums it up perfectly.

That definitely escalated things but I remember a growing hatred before that , growing up in Essex they definitely started to really dislike us from about the late nineties

That definitely escalated things but I remember a growing hatred before that , growing up in Essex they definitely started to really dislike us from about the late nineties
That period being when Sugar was in charge, and dragged us backwards so the gap between us and them was almost touching distance. Simply because we had a chairman that thought small time

That period being when Sugar was in charge, and dragged us backwards so the gap between us and them was almost touching distance. Simply because we had a chairman that thought small time
And we had a mediocre chairman at the worst possible time what with the explosion of the premier league. On the other hand at least we didn't get relegated and have to sell off the best crop of youngsters we've had in generations unlike West ham. That shit was funny!

I’ve never considered what happened between us and them in that way before. But it’s quite well observed. That we were ever “rivals” with these jokers, which we were in the 90’s, was indeed to do with how far we fell compared to how high they had risen. Sugar. Yuck Still makes me shudder what he achieved and he’s pals with Big Karen too....

Back
Top Bottom