Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Those numbers sound off at first look.

Just read it and it’s basically a press briefing to gauge fan opinion. This paragraph made me chuckle:

“Redevelopment and expansion of the current stadium – which has been cited internally as an eight-year project – remains one of the options on the table and it is said that around 25 per cent of the space inside Old Trafford currently lies empty or wasted.”
Every piece I've ever read about a redevelopment of it is centred around 'how difficult it would be". I find this extraordinary, especially given what we've done with our new place.

36D47EF500000578-3720412-image-a-4_1470212831882.jpg

As redevelopment goes that has to be one of the easiest to do, surely?

Yes, there is a railway line that runs along one side and a canal the other but it's literally surrounded by a giant concrete car park, be that on what they already own and what I guess a haulage company to the west they could buy. Additionally, there is a new business district that just recently opened housing some large companies, including BBC Sport which recently relocated there.

The only thing that doesn't work is the traffic around the stadium on match days, it has to be the worst in the country (although a few years ago I choose to park in a multi-storey next to Norwich which took me 4 fucking hours to get out of!), from the moment you approach the slip road to get off the Motorway you are fucked and end up parking on some godforsaken industrial east ate miles away. Even getting there a couple of hours before KO it's a nightmare.

They're all wetting their knickers cause they bet West Ham 3-0 at home. Big fucking deal.

If that weird-looking Naguerd had half a brain, that's two goals they sure don't concede. Third one is avoidable as well...bit lucky too.

But mainly, how shit were they offensively?! Shoulda scored 4 or 5 but instead kept fucking about. Could honestly have played for 10 hours, they still wouldn't have done zilch.

So yeah chill out Ten Hag you ugly mug. You ain't Real Madrid cause you bet Wolves in injury time then a proper toothless Spam who only give 100% when they play us.
Wish we'd managed that tbf...

:ange-hands-head:

Every piece I've ever read about a redevelopment of it is centred around 'how difficult it would be". I find this extraordinary, especially given what we've done with our new place.

Yes, there is a railway line that runs along one side and a canal the other but it's literally surrounded by a giant concrete car park, be that on what they already own and what I guess a haulage company to the west they could buy. Additionally, there is a new business district that just recently opened housing some large companies, including BBC Sport which recently relocated there.

The only thing that doesn't work is the traffic around the stadium on match days, it has to be the worst in the country (although a few years ago I choose to park in a multi-storey next to Norwich which took me 4 fucking hours to get out of!), from the moment you approach the slip road to get off the Motorway you are fucked and end up parking on some godforsaken industrial east ate miles away. Even getting there a couple of hours before KO it's a nightmare.

I’ve only been to old Trafford once and that was about 12 years ago. I thought it was a shit hole then so god knows what it’s like now.

They’d be best off building a new one next door. Another £2billion plus of debt on top of the glazier debt is a lot. Then who sorts the financing, Ratcliffe? The glaziers? Do they really want to lose their dividend payments and it going out on interest payments? So then you have two huge outgoings before they can start to make it make sense. We had one owner and it was difficult. Ratcliffe and the glaziers will be in open warfare over it.

A modern stadium of the same capacity would absolutely dwarf the current Old Trafford though.

I'm sure it would fit on the total site, but I think they'd need to demolish OT and move elsewhere for a few years.

The clever pr*ck....he doesn't want to use his own money or ManU's through bank loans but UK tax payers and the sad sad fact is he'll get all the politicians and media in Manchester on his side

A modern stadium of the same capacity would absolutely dwarf the current Old Trafford though.

I'm sure it would fit on the total site, but I think they'd need to demolish OT and move elsewhere for a few years.

Yeh, I thought that's where all the prior talk of needing to share with City came from (unlikely as it would be to get the nod).

OT is massive mate. I get the footprint of New WHL might be slightly bigger as the concourses are bigger to accommodate more food and drink vendors along with a ton of restaurants for premium packages nowadays.

But there is a ton of land surrounding the stadium (North West), a lot of which they already own and use it for matchday parking. I agree OT will need to be demolished. I'll guess to get a new stadium built they need to do what we did by shuffling 100 meters up, so build half of the new stadium, then demolish the old and build on that, whether that necessitates a move or not I don't know (whilst Liverpool's expansion wouldn't be on the same scale they have had a reduced capacity now for almost 5 seasons before they open up all the new stands, I think the posh parts of their new stand are still yet to be opened, but they can at least build on that section NW of the current stadium before they demolish the old).

I just don't know where they would go if they looked to move out, the obvious one would be Old Trafford Cricket Ground which holds about 50k, fairly sure Lancs Cricket would openly accept £20m a season to use it.

With a cost of living crisis as bad as it is, only going to hell from here on out I doubt getting public funds to build a Private Companies stadium is a goer.

But then I remind myself that this country has not only the worst Government in living memory it has a population equally as dumb that enables it to happen.
Remind yourself also that the Tories gifted a fucking brand new stadium to the Spammers that then needed £320m (three hundred and twenty million) to make it fit for footie. Where they don't even pay for the fucking corner flags.

The Spammers that have a Tory Peer as one of their Directors

With a cost of living crisis as bad as it is, only going to hell from here on out I doubt getting public funds to build a Private Companies stadium is a goer.

But then I remind myself that this country has not only the worst Government in living memory it has a population equally as dumb that enables it to happen.
Every other supporter in the country would pile on if that ever happened...

On their own fan forums.

We are a country full of people who love to moan about injustice, but will do three fifths of fuck all about any of it.

I just don't know where they would go if they looked to move out, the obvious one would be Old Trafford Cricket Ground which holds about 50k, fairly sure Lancs Cricket would openly accept £20m a season to use it.
I hadn't thought of that, but then I thought their capacity was only about 25,000?

I'll check now

Wiki says that 50,000 capacity is only for gigs, ie most of the outfield?

Internationals it's only 26,000.

Remind yourself also that the Tories gifted a fucking brand new stadium to the Spammers that then needed £320m (three hundred and twenty million) to make it fit for footie. Where they don't even pay for the fucking corner flags.

The Spammers that have a Tory Peer as one of their Directors

We also got some money after the riots from Boris and got let off a load of S106 agreements which would have cost us money. Not on the scale of West Ham’s pisstake obviously though.

I’ve only been to old Trafford once and that was about 12 years ago. I thought it was a shit hole then so god knows what it’s like now.

They’d be best off building a new one next door. Another £2billion plus of debt on top of the glazier debt is a lot. Then who sorts the financing, Ratcliffe? The glaziers? Do they really want to lose their dividend payments and it going out on interest payments? So then you have two huge outgoings before they can start to make it make sense. We had one owner and it was difficult. Ratcliffe and the glaziers will be in open warfare over it.
Still is a shithole.

Back
Top Bottom