Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing with this is I believe he would do a good job. He absolutely would improve them, maybe not aesthetically but out of all the managers that have come in post Fergie, IMO he would be the most effective. They would win most of their games, they would be boringly predictable but ultimately not good enough to challenge for the big things.

I think there’s a chance they could be even worse. Southgate thinks he wants his teams to play on the front foot but can’t coach it properly - that can be a lethal combo.

I think there’s a chance they could be even worse. Southgate thinks he wants his teams to play on the front foot but can’t coach it properly - that can be a lethal combo.
I think he'd be nicer ( a bigger pushover for night clubbing players) than Ten Hag otherwise identical. Another one that talks like a prophet but puts pragmatism over dreams and risk, he's perfectly suited to keeping them exactly where they are now.

That's what Ten Haag is doing now.

I genuinely think Southgate would do a better job, he would play pragmatic football without pretending it's anything else. He would control the media x10 better than ETH too and this includes him playing a negative brand of football, just look at what has happened around the England camp since he rocked up, he has the media more or less eating out of his hands. Gone are turnip front pages etc... In fact every tournament the press writes stories about how great the access is etc...

The challenge would be to win over the fanbase, because of this I would be shocked that he would be appointed.

They would be boringly organised and win every game they are expected to. They would be beaten by every big Club though, but seeing as there are a few of them he will no doubt catch one or two of them in a season and steal a result (like beating Germany or Spain in frendlies etc..).

I think he'd be nicer ( a bigger pushover for night clubbing players) than Ten Hag otherwise identical. Another one that talks like a prophet but puts pragmatism over dreams and risk, he's perfectly suited to keeping them exactly where they are now.

No doubt in my mind that he'd fail even harder.

ETH may have minus charisma; but Southgate is a quintessentially English dweeb t'boot.

The only reason things work for Gary is that they're all English lads, he has a finite pool of players that broadly is one of the best in the world(***) and he provides a nice change of pace from the weekly intensity of the EPL for fragile little darlings like Rashford & Maguire.

He's also the kind of guy that would sign a player and you wouldn't see them for a year as he thinks his football is so tactically astute and delicately balanced that it takes that long for the guys to learn the ropes (which is exactly how he manages the England team already!).

(***Imagine him in the trf market..... It'd be like Dalglish's last stint at Liverpool or a hipster version of Redknapp.... 'Pwoppa' lads at every turn.)

Last edited:
That's what Ten Haag is doing now.

I genuinely think Southgate would do a better job, he would play pragmatic football without pretending it's anything else. He would control the media x10 better than ETH too and this includes him playing a negative brand of football, just look at what has happened around the England camp since he rocked up, he has the media more or less eating out of his hands. Gone are turnip front pages etc... In fact every tournament the press writes stories about how great the access is etc...

The challenge would be to win over the fanbase, because of this I would be shocked that he would be appointed.

They would be boringly organised and win every game they are expected to. They would be beaten by every big Club though, but seeing as there are a few of them he will no doubt catch one or two of them in a season and steal a result (like beating Germany or Spain in frendlies etc..).

But he is only doing that with the media to get an easier ride and to cover up his inadequacies. I somewhat agree with what you are saying but the players he has with England are infinitely better than those at Man Utd and he is still doing a just about above average job with what he has at his disposal.

Both tactically and I assume, in the transfer market he would get found out pretty quickly. He lucked himself into the England job and has been a master of staying in the position. He wouldnt have that fortune at Man U.

But he is only doing that with the media to get an easier ride and to cover up his inadequacies. I somewhat agree with what you are saying but the players he has with England are infinitely better than those at Man Utd and he is still doing a just about above average job with what he has at his disposal.

Both tactically and I assume, in the transfer market he would get found out pretty quickly. He lucked himself into the England job and has been a master of staying in the position. He wouldnt have that fortune at Man U.
Let's face it at international level your inadequacies are not being exploit by Klopp, Guadiola,Postecoglou, Dezerbi, Emrey, Iraola. I genuinely think all of the men I've named have forgotten more than Southgate knows about football. I'd also throw in Gary O'Neil. Just that thick bloke with the brown shoes was at Wigan

But there hasn't been a murmur of deception from players, the only negative player thing to have come out of the camp in EIGHT years has been Ben White being sent home, and that was brushed under the carpet like I've never seen, he supposedly had a barny with that chav cunt Steve Holland.

He's boring as hell and I dislike his football but has a win % of 63%. He's Englands most successful coach 70yrs. But because of his football all of us England fans will almost certainly put our favourite coach as Venables, because of how we played.

I genuinely think he'll do a better more consistent job than ETH who I think has been dog shit.

gareth-southgate.gif

But there hasn't been a murmur of deception from players, the only negative player thing to have come out of the camp in EIGHT years has been Ben White being sent home, and that was brushed under the carpet like I've never seen, he supposedly had a barny with that chav cunt Steve Holland.

He's boring as hell and I dislike his football but has a win % of 63%. He's Englands most successful coach 70yrs. But because of his football all of us England fans will almost certainly put our favourite coach as Venables, because of how we played.

I genuinely think he'll do a better more consistent job than ETH who I think has been dog shit.
Everything you say reminds me of Pochettino and how with every subsequent year and job you realise it wasn't him so much as Dembele Kane Eriksen Walker Loris Vertonghen Alderweireld Rose. Southgate got handed a Ferrari and simply managed not to wreck it. I think his stint at Borough is the mean just as we are starting to see Poch at Spurs as the statistical outlier. Kane Saka Bellingham Foden Maddison Stones Rasford Walker James Grealish Guehi Rice TAA Braithwaite Mainoo Jones coming...is he really doing that much. Or simply not f**King up.

Last edited:
Everything you say reminds me of Pochettino and how with every subsequent year and job you realise it wasn't him so much as Dembele Kane Eriksen Walker Loris Vertonghen Alderweireld Rose. Southgate got handed a Ferrari and simply managed not to wreck it. I think his stint at Borough is the mean just as we are starting to see Poch at Spurs as the statistical outlier. Kane Saka Bellingham Foden Maddison Stones Rasford Walker James Grealish Guehi Rice TAA Braithwaite Mainoo Jones coming...is he really doing that much. Or simply not f**King up.
I LOVE World Cups but just like all Internationals the games are 80% shite to watch, it's the nature of the beast. I think in the history of internationals football there have been a tiny handful of great teams to watch (Holland mid 70's, Brazil late 50's + early 70's and 98-2002, whilst clearly consistently good for decades Germany haven't ever been a good watch, even more so Italy, then a side I never got to see but it's argued they played some of the best football is Hungry's early 1950's side).

Look at the talent at the disposal of France but Deschamps has them play like Stoke.

I think this is the problem.

Southgate is an effective boring manager, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Spurs but he will do a far better job than ETH, he will also work well on the media at Utd too. They wouldn't win anything as Southgate just isn't good enough but his team I think would be a regular top 4 team with the financial back the size of Utd.

I LOVE World Cups but just like all Internationals the games are 80% shite to watch, it's the nature of the beast. I think in the history of internationals football there have been a tiny handful of great teams to watch (Holland mid 70's, Brazil late 50's + early 70's and 98-2002, whilst clearly consistently good for decades Germany haven't ever been a good watch, even more so Italy, then a side I never got to see but it's argued they played some of the best football is Hungry's early 1950's side).

Look at the talent at the disposal of France but Deschamps has them play like Stoke.

I think this is the problem.

Southgate is an effective boring manager, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Spurs but he will do a far better job than ETH, he will also work well on the media at Utd too. They wouldn't win anything as Southgate just isn't good enough but his team I think would be a regular top 4 team with the financial back the size of Utd.
Gotta disagree there. Southgate has a high win percentage because the majority of the teams he's played are, by comparison, like lower league opposition for a top Premiership side.

If he does end up at Utd, he's facing better quality players, who play together week in week out, and barring a few relegation candidates, he's facing them every week, not every couple of months.

Does he have what it takes to lift them out of a funk when they start losing a few, or when they get absolutely drubbed in a game? Can he adapt tactically, in the way that the astute managers in the Prem do?

It's all well and good providing a happy environment for players that are only together, for an extended period of time, every couple of years, but having to do that every single day?

He has the luxury, as England manager, to cherry pick the most talented players, with the best attitudes, when he selects a squad. He'll inherit a bunch of egotistical mercenaries with bad attitudes if he goes to Utd, they've ruined better managers than him.

They have serious P&S concerns, so they can't splurge on quality, and they'll struggle to offload what they have for any meaningful money, so he'll be stuck with the majority of them for a while. Can he suddenly have them turn into players that would run through walls for him?

I seriously have my doubts, which is why I'd be more than happy for them to get him. I can't see him getting any more of a tune from that squad than ETH has, so they'll continue to flounder for however long he'd be in charge.

He's done pretty well as England manager, I'll not take that away from him, but we'd be at least European Champions if we'd had someone of the calibre of a top Prem manager, which he most definitely isn't, in my opinion.

Managing Utd would destroy him.

Gotta disagree there. Southgate has a high win percentage because the majority of the teams he's played are, by comparison, like lower league opposition for a top Premiership side.

If he does end up at Utd, he's facing better quality players, who play together week in week out, and barring a few relegation candidates, he's facing them every week, not every couple of months.

Does he have what it takes to lift them out of a funk when they start losing a few, or when they get absolutely drubbed in a game? Can he adapt tactically, in the way that the astute managers in the Prem do?

It's all well and good providing a happy environment for players that are only together, for an extended period of time, every couple of years, but having to do that every single day?

He has the luxury, as England manager, to cherry pick the most talented players, with the best attitudes, when he selects a squad. He'll inherit a bunch of egotistical mercenaries with bad attitudes if he goes to Utd, they've ruined better managers than him.

They have serious P&S concerns, so they can't splurge on quality, and they'll struggle to offload what they have for any meaningful money, so he'll be stuck with the majority of them for a while. Can he suddenly have them turn into players that would run through walls for him?

I seriously have my doubts, which is why I'd be more than happy for them to get him. I can't see him getting any more of a tune from that squad than ETH has, so they'll continue to flounder for however long he'd be in charge.

He's done pretty well as England manager, I'll not take that away from him, but we'd be at least European Champions if we'd had someone of the calibre of a top Prem manager, which he most definitely isn't, in my opinion.

Managing Utd would destroy him.
I'm saying he beats the teams he's expected to win = they are inferior teams than England. The majority of games played are against these teams. But he does win them unlike other England managers who have gone before him, it is now expected he will beat Iceland for example. He has done this.

He will lose to a better or equal team.

So I'm saying he would do this as Utd manager.

I think it's a moot point anyway, I can't possibly see him there as he's most certainly not the fit for a Club with their aspirations however deluded they are right now.

I'm saying he beats the teams he's expected to win = they are inferior teams than England. The majority of games played are against these teams. But he does win them unlike other England managers who have gone before him, it is now expected he will beat Iceland for example. He has done this.

I think it's a moot point anyway, I can't possibly see him there as he's most certainly not the fit for a Club with their aspirations however deluded they are right now.
I think over the last decade them teams are pretty much put to bed by Kane being a world class finisher. I honestly think when he retires the procession that qualification has been changes back to life under England's previous managers. I think Kane has been that significant mm.

The thing with this is I believe he would do a good job. He absolutely would improve them, maybe not aesthetically but out of all the managers that have come in post Fergie, IMO he would be the most effective. They would win most of their games, they would be boringly predictable but ultimately not good enough to challenge for the big things.
I prefer to recall we he did at the last CLUB he managed, Boro

Relegated, not promoted. Sacked by the most loyal owner in history.

Even with the parachute payments he was out played by little B’mouth (Eddie Howe).

Think about that - just come down from the PL and outplayed by AFCB who’d come up from Div 1. I spoke to a Boro fan “men against boys”

I’d be OVER THE MOON if he went there

Mind you if he went to Chavs I’d be even further out in the stratosphere

I think over the last decade them teams are pretty much put to bed by Kane being a world class finisher. I honestly think when he retires the procession that qualification has been changes back to life under England's previous managers. I think Kane has been that significant mm.

100% - There was long spell either side of the last Euro's where Kane was was the only player scoring outside of corners (outside of the stupid 10-0 games against San Marino etc.)

I can't remember the exact stat now; but I crunched all the numbers in one of the England threads when we we were getting relegated in the last Nations League.

Also NEVER forget how badly he fucked up that Euros final.

If good managers can out-coach clubs with bigger resources as often happens in the EPL there's no reason why the likes of Franke, De Zerbie, Silva, G.O'Neil, Potter etc. wouldn't school the fuck out of of Gary.

Nor can you bank on a Gary-led Man U having a squad full of great players as there's a high chance he'd fill it with the likes of Henderson, Phillips, Maguire etc. (a bit like Moyes wanting Fellaini for Man U when he got the gig).

Classic Gary = Mount >>> Foden & Maddison

Last edited:

an United turned down the chance to sign Erling Haaland TWICE, despite being told by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the Norwegian was available for 'a bargain fee'​

• Erling Haaland has scored 80 goals in 84 appearances for Manchester City
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer managed Haaland for two seasons at Molde
  • Erik ten Hag is DELUDED. I don't think anyone can see him staying around at the end of the season - It's All Kicking Off podcast
By DAN CANCIAN

PUBLISHED: 08:01 GMT, 6 March 2024 |

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said Erling Haaland could have signed for Manchester United for less than £20million had the club listened to his advice.
The former United manager handed a 16-year-old Haaland his professional debut while in charge of Norwegian club Molde in 2017.
The Manchester City star scored 20 goals in 50 appearances in all competitions in two seasons under Solskjaer, who informed United of Haaland's precocious talent in the summer of 2018.

Back
Top Bottom