Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Laughable that Spitty is seen as somebody worthy of an interview. He is a thick footballer who is so one eyed towards his club it puts him in the same category as Merson.

As for arse coming out with a dickhead statement nobody cares. Any possible care factor was milked dry with the dippers against us. Even then they took it too far in an attempt to ensure future ref decisions went their way.
Agree 100%
Nobody cares anymore.
We'll care if it happens to us.

I think Carragher summed it up well.

"People will be criticising VAR. Three looks at different things - how did they get to a goal? People have been very critical of VAR saying it is looking for ways to disallow goals, but you can't have the argument both ways. If there is not enough evidence to disallow a goal then that should be given a goal."
This …. It really wasn’t that controversial

Just because it was checking a number of possible transgressions Lego has tried to create this rhetoric that it was farcical

Far from it … it carried out the necessary checks and concluded there wasn’t enough to over rule the refs on field call

Genuinely don’t get the fuss about this one

Fucking modern football.

XG
Field Tilt
VAR
Pivot
Double Pivot
Low Block
Saturday 20.15pm kick offs
Sunday 12.30pm kick offs
Etc
Etc

When did a simple game become so difficult?

(The answer is TV by the way).
Ah but nutter if you took the time to become fully versed in the modern football parlance you could be an EPL 😉 manager

There’s living proof of this … Andre Villas Boas

That's what I've always thought, but I was wrong...

"A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent"

I've always kind of missed that bit!
You’ve played … watched football your whole life not knowing you can’t be offside when the ball is passed level or backwards

That’s fuckin mental

It’s always the same with the likes of Arteta and Klopp always the victims as if these things only affect them. They are also calling out officials to get an advantage in future games

It worked for Klopp...Against Everton Konate should have seen red but the ref was scared of upsetting Jaws.

You’ve played … watched football your whole life not knowing you can’t be offside when the ball is passed level or backwards

That’s fuckin mental
I thought the direction doesnt matter, you technically can be offside even if its passed backwards, if you are ahead of the ball and otherwise offside when its passed (would have to be a really bad pass though). Same way it can be passed forward and you are still onside if you were behind the ball when it was passed (while otherwise in an offside position).

That’s fuckin mental
Mental? Yes it is. I think I used to know, some time ago, but then somehow got it wrong in my head and convinced myself everyone else was stupid.

I do that quite a lot.

I don’t blame any fan for not knowing the rules nowadays when the players and managers don’t and FIFA are changing them every five minutes.

Eg. If somebody asked me what a handball in the area was I would have no clue what the rule is. It seems to be interpreted different every week.

As for the offside rule that’s a mess too thanks to VAR. Far too detailed now, it was never meant for this much scrutiny. I bet if you looked it up the rule wouldn’t tally with the VAR offside interpretation.

Arteta’s rant blows issue out of proportion

Mikel Arteta appeared close to spontaneous combustion as he launched into a rather undignified rant about the perceived injustice of Newcastle’s winner. Anthony Gordon’s second-half goal was given following a triple-VAR-check for three potential offences, but it was not the only controversy in an intense, evenly-matched contest. The thought occurred that had a female coach reacted like Arteta did, they might expect to be labelled as hysterical, unbalanced or overly emotional. Amid the headline quotes, Arteta also had to admit Eddie Howe’s Newcastle have morphed into “big contenders”. Fabian Schär, a £3m central defensive signing by Rafael Benítez, was an example of the hosts’ superb defensive work and sublime distribution. On the balance of play, Woolwich should not feel they were entitled to a point at St James’ Park. Louise Taylor

And his club (Woolwich) backed, and agreed with his ludicrous, hysterical ranting.

Actually crazy how the narrative of these sort of incidents get pushed to the point where they are seen as they've denied a team 3 points, we're talking about an isolated incident which took up 1% of entire match when in truth Woolwich weren't good enough to win over 90 mins.

Had Woolwich been winning 2-0 and the goal was given then we wouldn't be talking about this now and the entire narrative would have been shifted to Ars going away and getting 3 points - sign of Champions etc...

Teams losing matches and blaming them entirely on refereeing decisions is kinda weak for me, Lego head is actually doing it to create a siege mentality and protect his players but why don't the pundits and the media pick up on this?

Actually crazy how the narrative of these sort of incidents get pushed to the point where they are seen as they've denied a team 3 points, we're talking about an isolated incident which took up 1% of entire match when in truth Woolwich weren't good enough to win over 90 mins.

Had Woolwich been winning 2-0 and the goal was given then we wouldn't be talking about this now and the entire narrative would have been shifted to Ars going away and getting 3 points - sign of Champions etc...

Teams losing matches and blaming them entirely on refereeing decisions is kinda weak for me, Lego head is actually doing it to create a siege mentality and protect his players but why don't the pundits and the media pick up on this?

What makes it even more strange is how it’s not even a fuck up. None of them were ‘clear and obvious’, ball was probably 98% out (which means it’s still in!), the foul was lots of arms and could have been given but again not 100%.

With the Liverpool one it was 100% the wrong call. This by the laws and how VAR is set up was probably correct. Just hiding how shit Arse where.

Officials were made to grovel and apologise re the Liverpool game, which was a fair mistake.

Woolwich should be made to do the same now by the FA. Not a fan of this bullying and pressuring of referees - I couldn't do that job, having to make several instant decisions in one all whilst having some bloke coming in your ear with information over the crowd noise.

Back
Top Bottom