Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last year Poch used all the squad and his core of preferred players were burnt out between Feb and May - he was still forced to use one or two of the 'deadwood' to get us through. So, with such a high intensity (fluid apparently haha) style, steam-lining he squad was a priority? Ok, that's sounds daft for first of all.

Don't accept we only have one striker or need more?! Are you kidding me? Why chase Beharino then on deadline day? Particularly if you're not going to buy for the sake of it? Total contradiction. I agree you need goals from everywhere; Harry got 20+ in the league, Eriksen and Chadli got double figures overall too. We needed more and Son and N'Jie are supposed to provide them, lose Harry and they'll just be replacing his goals at best, status-quo.

So anyway, Poch and Levy have basically stated they're in alignment and it's all fine. Failure on the pitch now or an injury to Harry before his fatigue sets in and we'll see if they've got it right or not.

If they haven't I await the next statement about Poch's sacking or, how it was 'impossible to foresee Harry's unfortunate injury which was terrible luck and has caused us to have to use make-shift strikers'.....hang on, didn't you guys say in your September statement that.......oh nevermind.

I find it funny how people assume Son and N'Jie can't do a job for us up top despite having never seen them before. That combined with the fact Chadli is a capable number 9 and Dembele can play emergency backup suggests to me our situation isn't actually that bad.

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to endure the embarressment of seeing Levy out banners before people realise Kane isn't our only number 9 and actually we can function as a team with someone who has a bit of different style to lead the line e.g. N'Jie.

I find it funny that people think Son and N'Jie can do a job for us up front having never seen them play.

Also, when Ade was ditched and despite it being obvious Poch did not want to play Soldado and he was going to be ditched too, we never saw 15 or 20mins of Chadli or Dembele up front when Kane was totally fucked and had to come off did we?

We have created a make-do situation for whenever Kane isn't on the pitch and potentially a fairly desperate emergency situation with just two injuries.

For those questioning why we chased Berahino on deadline day there's several possible and pragmatic explanations. For example, our transfer team could have decided that Albion's tactics were likely because they wanted us to drum up interest for CL teams to swoop in take him. This would of looked good for their academy too having an academy player on the biggest stage.

Another possibility is they determined Peace wanted to drive up the price and again hope other clubs come in for him, we might of even thought other clubs were in for him. So we decided early bids would of been rejected with only a silly bid having any chance before the windows end.

The fact is there are many reasons for delaying a deal until deadline day, believe it or not it's not because our Chairman wants to annoy us fans and leave the team weaker for the first few games. It's also not usually over a tiny amount of money despite what people have fabricated over the course of years. Sometimes there can be little choice.

It was a calculated risk and it failed, which is unfortunate because it seems Pochettino only wanted him. However we can't get upset over not getting to support a player who is not part of our team and instead direct that support to our current team.

Also please bear in mind we have signed two forwards this window, whether or not they've got a lot of game time as wide forwards.

Last edited:
I am still pissed off at the club for not getting a striker but I fucking agree with the statements about the publicity about transfers. There were people on here applauding WBA about the publicity of the transfer negotiations. I fully agree with the statement. I don't think it was Levy's intention to mess with Berahino's head. But I am sure it was WBA's intention to fuck with us by going public. Also if they are going to go public about some things about the transfer fucking right other stuff will come out which they don't like.

NBCSN only graded 4 clubs (one being Woolwich) lower than Spurs for Summer transfers
11.jpg
D- Tottenham: Harry Kane needs help and although Son and Clinton have arrived in attack, Spurs’ new boys are unproven in the PL. Bringing in Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld bolsters their defense and Pochettino has trimmed his squad but not grabbing Berahino or a top striker to help Kane will hurt Spurs.

GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window?

NBCSN only graded 4 clubs (one being Woolwich) lower than Spurs for Summer transfers
11.jpg
D- Tottenham: Harry Kane needs help and although Son and Clinton have arrived in attack, Spurs’ new boys are unproven in the PL. Bringing in Wimmer, Trippier and Alderweireld bolsters their defense and Pochettino has trimmed his squad but not grabbing Berahino or a top striker to help Kane will hurt Spurs.

GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window?
ESPN gave us a D as well, but fuck em. Anyway, Chelsea, Woolwich, and ManU also had poor windows. I'm over it. We really don't even know what we have yet in Son and N'jie, so time to go find out.

As for the 4 competitions, we're either going to be out of the LC right off the bat, thus alleviating some of that strain, or we will have beaten Woolwich. Kind of a win-win really.

Chadli is in and out so is Eriksen so where are they going to come from?

Ive heard that Chadli is better than Kane up front

I find it funny how people assume Son and N'Jie can't do a job for us up top despite having never seen them before.

I find it funny how people assume they can, on the same basis

I deliberately avoided the sports news yesterday, as I had a feeling that it was going to be a damp squib.

You mean damp squid surely

:troll:

Also, when Ade was ditched and despite it being obvious Poch did not want to play Soldado and he was going to be ditched too, we never saw 15 or 20mins of Chadli or Dembele up front when Kane was totally fucked and had to come off did we?

Excellent point. When did Poch realise that Chadli and Lamela could play striker? When he realised he'd been fucked up the arse over his target striker I guess...

Yes, we really wanted Berahino as a wide forward...is that why we already spent £34M on wide forwards.....to play them as strikers (but not Berahino as a striker)......even though the players we already had "can do a job as striker"?

:dempsey:

Why not try to justify your statement with something concrete - a precedent for Levy bidding 3 times on the last day of the window for a squad player, instead of face palming?

I thought I had just explained it in the post you quoted. I don't think Berahino was seen as anything more than backup for Kane. The fact that they "only" valued him at £23 mill, not enough to get him, as a young, English, established premier league striker, and the fact that Kane is the obvious first choice, is cause to believe that they didn't see getting Berahino as key.

The three bids doesn't mean that they saw him as a key signing, but a potential good signing for the right price.

Ive heard that Chadli is better than Kane up front... When did Poch realise that Chadli and Lamela could play striker?
...even though the players we already had "can do a job as striker"?

In my mind, being able to 'do a job' as a striker, is helping out for the final 10 mins of a match if need be, when the game is safe and Harry is taken off to rapturous applause... or at most being able to cover for the remainder of the game IF Harry HAS to come off...
It's NOT being expected to complete a 45+ game season as our only other striking option! You need to be a recognised striker to pull that off!

You really believe that so the club will pull any dick we don't really need over to Spurs. Let's buy players we don't need after all THFC is a charity.

:adelol:

Oh gawd. Either you guys are really thick, or my ability to explain stuff is terrible (most likely).

I mean that he is not a player we need in the following sense:

We can get by without him. We have backup for Kane without him. We have attacking options without him. Getting Berahino was not key for our transfer window.

He would be a valued addition to the squad though, hense the three bids.

I never (wanted to say/)said that he was not needed in the sense that we didn't want him. As in when a player is no longer needed by the club.

I guess maybe my interpretation of the verb "to need" is wrong, as English is not my primary language.

In my mind, being able to 'do a job' as a striker, is helping out for the final 10 mins of a match if need be, when the game is safe and Harry is taken off to rapturous applause... or at most being able to cover for the remainder of the game IF Harry HAS to come off...
It's NOT being expected to complete a 45+ game season as our only other striking option! You need to be a recognised striker to pull that off!

I guess he's refering to me when he's saying that people say that Chadli is better than Kane up front.

I'm not saying he is, I'm saying he might be. I think Kane the last six months or so has been trying too hard to make an impact and getting on the score sheet, thus limiting his game, becoming easier to read for the opponents and wasting to many chances and potential chances by too often looking for the shot.

I don't agree that a player needs to be a recognised anything to be able to perform. Most players weren't recognised untill after they had performed.

Bale was a left back, he wasn't a recognised AM. Dier was a CB, not a recognised DM. Bentaleb, Mason and Kane were young squad players, if even that, not recognised first team players.

Sorry in advance:
Van Persie and Henry were wingers, not recognised strikers.

I speculate that Chadli can be a fantastic striker for us. He can do the job for Kane whenever the latter is out of form, out injured or need a rest, imo.

Everyone should just chill out a bit. Berahino was the only striker we needed. There was no other player that could have improved our situation of having one striker.

Only Berahino.

And even then, it wasn't worth bidding until the end of the window, when it would inevitably elicit a rejection, the same way Levy rejected Chelsea's bid for Modric on the penultimate day of the window, for obvious reasons (Levy's form with Keane and Berbatov).

No, don't you worry. Levy knows how to handle these things.

And if the only striker who could improve our position of having one striker, proved not to be available as expected, then it's no problem.

:ade:

Fair enough justification by Poch and Levy.

I mean, you'd have to try given the crap we've ambled about doing.

But, let's see action and not words. Both are very good with words. Pretending things that are not.

We didn't want a striker? We play with a fluid style? Then show it Poch you sly dimwit.

All I see is that Daniel gives what he wants and Poch takes it no matter how. That's why it has worked because Poch doesn't question and though he cannot adapt (See sub on at 60th min) Levy is fine with a yes man.

The Winner's Curse. I've been at a few auctions in the past year or so and it's amazing to see sometimes; people bidding up used equipment and machinery beyond the retail price of getting the same product brand new.

This happens on ebay quite a lot, especially with photographic gear. 'Used' tripods by a well regarded Italian manufacturer - Manfrotto - often sell for more than the price of 'New'. Sheer idiocy.

Back
Top Bottom