Club statement about transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Saido Berahino softens on strike threat as Spurs' Daniel Levy hits out at Jeremy Peace

Peace is understood to have kept Pulis, Berahino and Tottenham in the dark for much of the negotiations by failing to take and return phone calls, but found the time to publicise the fact he had turned down a transfer request and Levy’s offers.

Aug 18
Riiiinnnnnggggg Riiiiiiinnnngggggg
Levy: No answer......

Aug 19
Levy: No answer.......

Aug 28

Aug 30

Sept 1, 17.50

Sept 1, 18.05
Levy: Sorry Mauricio, he's not for sale

The reports also say we bid £23m. Why would we bid that kind of money for a player we didn't really need? This is Levy we are talking about here. He wouldn't spend money he wasn't convinced he needed to. :vertna:
In his world you have a valuation and you have to be willing to walk away if it is exceeded, you don't get sucked into a bidding war. I think he has taken that approach with him into football.

Conversely the Son transfer was smooth - decent offer, selling club happy, and wham, he's ours. I hope Levy learns from that.
Yup, and like every other transfer under the sun these days, probably only half of the full fee was paid up front.
Weren't we offered VDV for £8m by 'our friends' Real Madrid? It would certainly explain how two of the best players we've had in years went there soon after.
I won't ever accept that Modric and Bale going the opposite way were the additional price to pay for VdV. Yes however, it was a bit of a sweetheart deal at a cut rate, but the principle is still largely the same that there are fantastic players out there at prices that are very attractive. If we hadn't picked up the very highly rated Son Heung-Min then I would say that it speaks to a lack of creativity in the transfer market. On the other hand, our recent history of splashing large on decisive and ambitious "marquee" signings got us Paulinho, Soldado, and Lamela for a combined 78m pounds. And that's before the reported 100k per week wages that Berahino reportedly wanted - treble that of Kane - even though I take those reports with a grain of salt.

In his world you have a valuation and you have to be willing to walk away if it is exceeded, you don't get sucked into a bidding war. I think he has taken that approach with him into football.
The Winner's Curse. I've been at a few auctions in the past year or so and it's amazing to see sometimes; people bidding up used equipment and machinery beyond the retail price of getting the same product brand new.

I don't disagree. It's the same the world over. You have a price you are willing to pay for the commodity you want to buy (note the word "want"). If you can't afford it, you dismiss it or save up for it. If you bargain for it, you know your limit. However, 3 bids on deadline day suggests he went in thinking he was in a strong bargaining position. He wasn't & Peace pulled his trousers down at his own game. He ought to have made his position clear ages before & left himself time to scope other options if he decided to walk away having made his highest bid. What is ridiculous is keep going back with a few quid more each time just before the shop shuts. Surely he has learned not to play games like this by now? That was a rhetorical question by the way.

By the way, I think it's ridiculous how some people are calling Poch a puppet. Poch doesn't take shit from Levy. Levy gave him two second rate players, he sent him a message by not playing them(whether it was right or wrong) and they were gone next summer.

Thank God Poch spoke up in this statement so people don't just think he's having to put up with whatever Levy gives him. It's quite clear that most of the coming and goings are his choice.

Much has been said about us only having one recognised striker in Harry - I don’t accept this at all - the positional play of today’s forwards means it’s too simplistic to look for goals from any one position - playing a fluid style means players switch.
That's a great philosophy... Right up to the point that Kane is utterly ruined by playing across four competitions without relief... T'riffic.

I deliberately avoided the sports news yesterday, as I had a feeling that it was going to be a damp squib. We just have to get on with it now, and hope that we don't have any serious injuries to key players. And putting on my 'glass half full' hat, at least we won't have to worry about Berahino being a waste of money!

I deliberately avoided the sports news yesterday, as I had a feeling that it was going to be a damp squib. We just have to get on with it now, and hope that we don't have any serious injuries to key players. And putting on my 'glass half full' hat, at least we won't have to worry about Berahino being a waste of money!
I didn't even pop in here. Apparently the server wasn't the only thing that melted.

I'm not really concerned about injuries as much as burn out. At this rate I'm seriously worried we'll turn Kane's rise on its head by asking too much of him physically as well as mentally

Back
Top Bottom