Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Up to about the age of 25, which was 20 years ago I would have said England.

Then the tossers started playing for us and I kind of fell out of love with the England team.

Now it’s closer again, I like this England team.

I would still say Spurs buts it’s closer than it was.
Is that because half the team are Spurs?

Never thought of it like that, but you're completely spot on :)
I tried to eat a full roast dinner once whilst watching Wales. It was terrible, this guy nudged me and my roasters rolled off the plate onto the terraces then we scored and the crowd surged so I spilt all my gravy down this guys shirt collar ( he was not best pleased, had to give him my yorkshire pudding to calm him down). Finally it went quiet and I managed to eat a slice of beef and a few peas before we scored another and the plate went flying.....never again.

Last edited:
None of that explains this....

I suppose you mean British people specifically.

Not specifically but just anyone who is actively involved in supporting a club. Personally; Tottenham is a priority in life. It goes in the calendar and life tends to work around it. Most season ticket holders and thousands of others will be the same.

I'm way with work this week - England play on Tuesday and I won't be able to watch it but I couldn't give less than a fuck. Had it been a Tottenham game I'd have rescheduled the trip.

So what means more? It's not even close.

From the USA you might have a different take on it; for many different reasons. The situation and comparisons are very different.

Yep, panini sticker books came out months before the World Cup and all these players from all continents used to amaze me, with their little info box below, and I couldn’t wait to see them for the first time on TV......

TV football and endless fucking debate shows about it has really killed the romance of it all, WC & EC have lost its appeal, the FA cup has become a chore and the League cup has died long ago.

I feel sorry for younger fans who have never and will never experience the romance of football.
With football being played all year round you don't get a proper break from it these days either.

If Wales won the World Cup I would be a happy Welshman but if Spurs won the league I would make a serious attempt at being the happiest Welshman in the World.
It's a bit of an easy question to ask someone from Wales when his naturally preferred sports ball looks like it's been sat on :thumbup:🏉
:coys:

The national rave up if we ever won the WC would be immense, but the deep joy I'd get from Spurs winning the league would be incomparable.

Spurs every time. Found it very difficult to cheer for a team with Sol Campbell, John Terry and Ashley Cole in it. I take more interest in England rugby than I do England football. The elation I get from Spurs winning even a League Cup or a derby game beats anything I could feel for England although I do get a little satisfaction when Kane scores a crucial goal for England after being slagged of for "diving" by fans of other teams.

I mean England vs Bulgaria? who really gives a solitary toss...

I didn't even known we were playing Bulgaria.

And what the hell was that crappy tournament with four teams in it all about? All I know is I didn't watch any of it and we came fourth. Sending PL players to play in that when they should have been on holiday was bollocks, especially the 3/4 place playoff, which we lost anyway. :dembelelol:

Give me Spurs winning the CL or Premier League any day. The amount of money and emotional investment I've put into Spurs far outweighs that for England. Spurs are the team I follow every week and quite frankly International breaks just get in the way these days. I'd be ecstatic if England won the World Cup and it's great being with your mates and you're all cheering on the same team, but Spurs mean more.

And I am disagreeing: the country is called Éireann; and for having taken a few licks from drunken Irishmen in Camden in 98 it will always be Éireann.

Come to think of it, your source is flawed: wiki states clearly that there are discrepancies between the English and Irish text of the constitution therefore I rest my case Mr. Steve. :vdvshh:
Oh dear, how wrong can you be.

This is the constitution in English.

ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

And in case you're in any doubt. This from the actual constitution of ROI in IRISH.

AirteaGal 4
Éire is ainm don stát nó, sa sacs-Bhéarla, Ireland.

So the Irish constitution specifically states that the name for Ireland in Irish is Eire.

I would suggest that the drunken Irishmen who gave you a few licks were Irish nationalists who got upset by the term Eire as it refers only and specifically to the ROI and does not include NI.

I'll accept your apology that you were wrong. Unless of course you are going to dispute this source as well.
:kaneear:

As I said, perhaps replying on a thread where more than two syllables are used is best not suited for you as quite clearly you’ve gone off on a tangent based on your own distorted perception of my previous post rather than what I posted. Nowhere in that post have I suggested support for any form of terrorism and I really couldn’t give a rats behind that you grew up in a North of Ireland trouble spot.

As to the other nonsense you just spouted: if you took a little time to analyse the world events of 18 years ago and the organisations you spoke of rather than blindly accepting the historical and current common media narrative you’d be in a better position to debate such issues. It is quite clear by your rhetoric that you in 18 years - you have not asked sufficient questions or researched the subject for yourself so as to not have your perception controlled by others.
You can try your hardest and sound pseudo intelligent, you're not. You can try and talk down to me, and make yourself look like a thick ignorant prick, I don't give a shit.

You stated your support for a terrorist organisation and said you agree with them. Tell you what, give some of the victims families a call and tell them how much you support the IRA.

Acting the clever professor type when you are nothing more than a whimsical nerd with fuck all idea of what it's like to live through the troubles, that makes you the moron in this.

Best thing for you is an ignore, you spoil the rest of this forum

My mistake Steve:

Please accept my genuine apology for naming you in my angry post of yesterday. I’d had a few vinos by then and was genuinely responding to the chap trying desperately to be a stone in my shoe. He knows who he is and has now put me on ignore. I hope.
Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Just to let you know I am a Roman catholic of Irish descent and like most Irish families we have stories handed down about resistance (passive and aggressive) to English rule.

My thoughts (not facts) on Ireland is as follows;

1) Ireland should be one country, although if this were to happen now it would lead to a rise in violence.

2) This should be a decision for the people of NI only. I know some people will say that the ROI should have a say but this will open the door for the rest of the UK to have a vote.

3) Even though, under the terms of the GFA ROI gave up their claim to NI if you asked any TD they would say that they want a unified Ireland.

4) Any TD (except SF) also know that a unified Ireland would have a huge financial detrimental impact, they won't say this publicly though as it would be political suicide.

5) It probably won't be sorted out in our lifetime, if ever.

My point was that your assertion that Ireland IS one country is not true. If, however, you had said that Ireland SHOULD be one country I would agreed with you.

That's the kind of pedantic cunt I am.

All's good with you.

Back
Top Bottom