Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I disagree.

I think it is fairly obvious that people act different way depending on the communication. Let's say you have two colleagues. Both of them are considering switching jobs.
One sends message to general list, implying that he is bored in the company where you work.
Other keeps tabs on the job market, occasionally applies to here and there, but is still at work and doing his job. Even if they both put in 75% of the effort they used to, one of them still seems "one of our own" and other is "still the guy who got bored of working for us".

And to me it seems cuntish to go and whine and actually COMPLAIN about different treatment while making the situation different yourself?!? He said he wants a fresh challenge, and then seems surprised that he was "in and out of team". If you already indicate that you want to leave, then suck it up and accept that you will not be considered as significant/meaningful part of the team. Because you aren't anymore. Seems quite logical to me.
There's some logic to that.

BUT - He was a significant part of the team. BOTH managers selected him knowing exactly (one would assume in significantly greater detail than his public comments) his stance/intentions.

However, I have people who have worked for me that have expressed a desire to leave, if I value this person then I will do what I can to keep him. If I do not succeed then I will openly support him on their decision to move, I'll do this by allowing time off for interviews, making myself available for references and giving my help/coaching on their interview process. This is called an open culture and one that I think people thrive in, and if shit hits the fan and the job doesn't pan out there might be a possibility to rehire them. If it has worked out then I have a trusted individual in the wider market place that could be mutually beneficial further down the line. (admittedly in the usual workplace that 99.9% of us work in it's unheard of that someone sends an email informing their intentions to all employees, but as a boss, I welcome and encourage people to talk to me about what they want). The other fella who walks in and hands their notice in because they've got a new job will be thanked and shown the door as is fast as legally possible.

The guy that walks into my office and says they are leaving because they've got a new job will most likely be shown the door.

And I guess that's why people suck off Modric, Berba, Sherringham and Bale whilst they smacked their dicks in our faces. Odd bizarre world ain't it?

I'll put my name alongside those of the opinion that if Eriksen wanted a trophy so bad he should have picked his game up for the CL Final or any of the other cups that we were in for in recent years.

Its embarrassing the way this forum treats players who leave the club, to be honest. Footballers, whether you want to believe it or not, are hardly football supporters. A great number of them don't even like the sport, but they're talented and it's the best paying gig - by far - they'll ever be able to get. In order to rise to this level, almost all of them will have to move to clubs other than the one they loved as children.

We don't fucking own them, and they don't owe us anything. They're adults employed to a company on contract...like all other adults in that situation they will evaluate their place of employment based upon their own unique algorithm of financial benefits, fringe benefits, location, and lifestyle. When they find another employer that wants them that scores higher in their own index, they're going to leave.

There are very few Harry Kane's in the world, and realistically the only reason he's got that "one of our own" status is because his ascension has paralleled our own...10 years ago he abso-fucking-lutely would've agitated for a move to United by now.

Eriksen has done nothing wrong. He signed a contract and fulfilled that contract. Said before he'd even signed it that his career aspirations were to travel the globe playing for many different clubs. Now he's come out and said he feels Inter are more likely to win a trophy than we are. Well, they've won 39 major trophies to our 24 and play in a league with far greater financial parity in 2020 than we do. Obviously their odds of winning a trophy season to season will be greater than ours.

Embarrassing cunts sound like a child who's just been told Santa isn't real. Wrestling is fake, too, you know?

Its embarrassing the way this forum treats players who leave the club, to be honest. Footballers, whether you want to believe it or not, are hardly football supporters. A great number of them don't even like the sport, but they're talented and it's the best paying gig - by far - they'll ever be able to get. In order to rise to this level, almost all of them will have to move to clubs other than the one they loved as children.

We don't fucking own them, and they don't owe us anything. They're adults employed to a company on contract...like all other adults in that situation they will evaluate their place of employment based upon their own unique algorithm of financial benefits, fringe benefits, location, and lifestyle. When they find another employer that wants them that scores higher in their own index, they're going to leave.

There are very few Harry Kane's in the world, and realistically the only reason he's got that "one of our own" status is because his ascension has paralleled our own...10 years ago he abso-fucking-lutely would've agitated for a move to United by now.

Eriksen has done nothing wrong. He signed a contract and fulfilled that contract. Said before he'd even signed it that his career aspirations were to travel the globe playing for many different clubs. Now he's come out and said he feels Inter are more likely to win a trophy than we are. Well, they've won 39 major trophies to our 24 and play in a league with far greater financial parity in 2020 than we do. Obviously their odds of winning a trophy season to season will be greater than ours.

Embarrassing cunts sound like a child who's just been told Santa isn't real. Wrestling is fake, too, you know?
Bollocks. Llorente left this summer, and you will have to be extremely lucky to find a person in this forum who dislikes him. Moussa Dembele left a year ago, and he's still one of the most beloved players for all of us. Wanyama has not played for a year now, and even when he has, he's been shite, so why dont we hate him? Because they all treated our shirt with respect, and gave 100% everytime they played for us. The reason we dislike people like Eriksen, Rose, Walker etc. is not because they left us, but because of how they treated our club before and/or after they did. My principle at least, is pretty simple. You disrespect the club, you can fuck off. You down the tools, you can fuck off.

He tried to run his contract down and cost the club millions and now he is publicly slagging off the club.

If it wasn’t for the fans, there would be no clubs and massive wages for the players. Yes, they don’t owe us anything personally, but fans are perfectly entitled to voice their opinions about the players performances and attitude. Obviously there is a line that fans shouldn’t cross, but to act like they are just ordinary workers doing a job is naive.

Bollocks. Llorente left this summer, and you will have to be extremely lucky to find a person in this forum who dislikes him. Moussa Dembele left a year ago, and he's still one of the most beloved players for all of us. Wanyama has not played for a year now, and even when he has, he's been shite, so why dont we hate him? Because they all treated our shirt with respect, and gave 100% everytime they played for us. The reason we dislike people like Eriksen, Rose, Walker etc. is not because they left us, but because of how they treated our club before and/or after they did. My principle at least, is pretty simple. You disrespect the club, you can fuck off. You down the tools, you can fuck off.
And yet every time some shit rag wants a few clicks they put up a story about Bale returning to Spurs and this forum spends a week debating on whether or not we can financially afford it and if he can stay healthy like a bunch of fanboys with barely a mention of how his exit transpired. The general opinion of Modric is a breathless one of how he was the best player Spurs have had this century, at least.

Eriksen didn't disrespect the club, he made a statement that's pretty plainly clear. Is it painful? Sure. But the reality is that it's a factual statement - in any given year the basic statistical chances of Inter winning a trophy are greater than ours...namely because they only have to beat Juve who have the financial might on par with Spurs, whilst we would have to top 5 of the top 9 richest clubs in the entire world. Believing his statement is wrong is simply delusion. You can, as I would, argue that any trophy won at Spurs, because of this, is an order of magnitude greater than any won at Inter. But to be outraged that he had the audacity to point out the truth is ridiculous.

And he didn't down tools, either. He has always been an inconsistent player who didn't graft enough and never went in hard for a 50/50 or even a 60/40. Even when everyone was creaming themselves over him, we criticized him for these things. There's hundreds of pages of bitching criticism of Eriksen here for you to read through if you want to dispute that. He didn't change who he was just because he wanted a move.

He had the audacity to not want to spend his career at Spurs and you've decided to deride him for that. No one cares about Dembele leaving because he was shot as a footballer when he left, though you're incorrect and plenty blasted him for wanting the move in the middle of our campaign. No one cared about Llorente leaving because he was a nice bloke no one really cared much for when he was at Spurs and most here generally considered a waste. Wanyama is serially listed as a player we need to shift and move on from, and whenever he does play the match thread fills up with people counting him off.

The examples you use perfectly align with your mentality that these players are property who owe us loyalty - we still show affection for those who fail us and have the good taste to humbly go when we ask them to. But if a player who is successful has the audacity to want to play elsewhere, he's a disrespectful cunt. Unless, of course, its Bale who everyone still wanks over.

He tried to run his contract down and cost the club millions and now he is publicly slagging off the club.

If it wasn’t for the fans, there would be no clubs and massive wages for the players. Yes, they don’t owe us anything personally, but fans are perfectly entitled to voice their opinions about the players performances and attitude. Obviously there is a line that fans shouldn’t cross, but to act like they are just ordinary workers doing a job is naive.
"Tried to run his contract down" is such a stupid thing to say. He had a contract to play football for a prescribed wage. He fulfilled that contract. Football is literally the only walk in life where people cunt you off for fulfilling the obligations of your contract. He didn't go on strike, and he played at below market wages for years because he didn't want to be tied to his current employer long term. He doesn't "owe the club" his signature on a new contract just so the club can prise an increased transfer fee from him.

Your mentality is the antithesis of free labor.

Bollocks mate, he's playing the victim here and throwing the club under the bus.

At the end of the day, he was the one who mouthed off in the press about a move and the timing of it was completely unprofessional as well.

He was also the one giving half arsed performances because he didn't want to be here.

People keep sucking him off like he's this friendly loveable guy, like he deserves respect and is a Tottenham legend, he isn't, he's disrespectful and he has made it very evident he couldn't give a fuck less about the fans that supported him either with his half arsed goodbye message that he drafted up in 5 mins whilst he was taking a shit on the toilet.

Even Modric gave his best during his last season, think people would have respected Eriksen a lot more if he had done the same, unfortunately once his head had gone that was it for him.

Unprofessional.

Nailed it.

and whilst totally valid you absolutely miss the essence of what being a football fan is

It’s an irrational love affair
It’s partisan
It’s tribal

it makes mild mannered accountants rock up to the ground on a Saturday hang from their seat giving it the full Vs calling the away fan resource manager a muggy cunt and he’s getting it outside the turnstiles

the head says CE is well within his rights

the heart says how fuckin dare you disrespect my club

thats the sense of the madness

only football does it

"Tried to run his contract down" is such a stupid thing to say. He had a contract to play football for a prescribed wage. He fulfilled that contract. Football is literally the only walk in life where people cunt you off for fulfilling the obligations of your contract. He didn't go on strike, and he played at below market wages for years because he didn't want to be tied to his current employer long term. He doesn't "owe the club" his signature on a new contract just so the club can prise an increased transfer fee from him.

Your mentality is the antithesis of free labor.
Sorry, this is bollocks mate. Eriksen, for the last 18 months, was the contractor sitting there taking personal calls and playing Candy Crush instead of getting his head down and helping the rest of the office.

Worse, on Go Live day (CL) he decided to pull a sicky. There’s your analogy for you.

That’s why so many of us now think fuck him. There is nothing “professional” or admirable about honouring a contract with lip service.

Modric, world class (ends up at Madrid), misses 1 match when his head wasn't right, puts in his best performances for Spurs the following season. Acted unprofessional according to some on here.

Bale, world class (ends up at Madrid), misses a friendly while his transfer was being negotiated after pretty much single-handedly dragging us through the AVB days. Acted unprofessional according to some on here.

Eriksen, glimpses of world class but mostly good, publicly touts for Madrid/Barcelona after not turning up in the CL final (or semi finals), sulks when he doesn't get his move before putting in no effort for the next 6 months after a questionable previous twelve. Comes out in the media straight after the move to Inter Milan and plays the victim. World class, legend and consummate professional who never refused to play according to the aforementioned.

Spurs fans logic :mourthumb:

Spurs sold him for more than they paid for him.

He was on 70k a week.

Cost the club millions??? You sound like a kid complaining he couldn't sell his 200$ Bitcoins for a million.

and whilst totally valid you absolutely miss the essence of what being a football fan is

It’s an irrational love affair
It’s partisan
It’s tribal

it makes mild mannered accountants rock up to the ground on a Saturday hang from their seat giving it the full Vs calling the away fan resource manager a muggy cunt and he’s getting it outside the turnstiles

the head says CE is well within his rights

the heart says how fuckin dare you disrespect my club

thats the sense of the madness

only football does it
I can passionately support the club and its players, and not irrationally berate players when they leave. Football, like everything else in our society, has become decisively more nasty and polarized.

Eriksen was a good, but never consistent enough to be great, footballer who provided us with many wonderful moments and almost an equal measure of disappointed ones. He decided it was time to move on with his career.

It doesn't make one more passionate to overreact to that situation by throwing a strop and calling him a cunt. It just makes them petulantly childish.

Sorry, this is bollocks mate. Eriksen, for the last 18 months, was the contractor sitting there taking personal calls and playing Candy Crush instead of getting his head down and helping the rest of the office.

Worse, on Go Live day (CL) he decided to pull a sicky. There’s your analogy for you.

That’s why so many of us now think fuck him. There is nothing “professional” or admirable about honouring a contract with lip service.
The whole team played like shit in the CL final. No one was up to it, and we were also playing the same team that's basically running through the PL like a bulldozer right now...with our hands tied behind our backs basically from kickoff by a shite referee's decision.

You claiming Eriksen did so because he wanted to leave Spurs more than he wanted a CL winners medal is equal measures of asinine and preposterous. You're claiming that a footballer fucked off what was likely the most important and meaningful match of his entire life because he didn't want to play for Tottenham anymore and couldn't be arsed? Mate, that might literally be the stupidest thing that's ever been posted here. Give it a rest.

The whole team played like shit in the CL final. No one was up to it, and we were also playing the same team that's basically running through the PL like a bulldozer right now...with our hands tied behind our backs basically from kickoff by a shite referee's decision.

You claiming Eriksen did so because he wanted to leave Spurs more than he wanted a CL winners medal is equal measures of asinine and preposterous. You're claiming that a footballer fucked off what was likely the most important and meaningful match of his entire life because he didn't want to play for Tottenham anymore and couldn't be arsed? Mate, that might literally be the stupidest thing that's ever been posted here. Give it a rest.
18 months Will, not just one game. Psychologically he wasn’t prepared for the game as he was checked out already and had been a long time.

Plenty players run down their contracts but they keep focused, no problem with that.

Last edited:
I just hope he got a nice leaving card and that the majority of his colleagues signed it. It would be nice to think he got at least £100 in Lakeland vouchers too from the whip-round.

18 months Will, not just one game. Psychologically he wasn’t prepared for the game as he was checked out already and had been a long time.

Plenty players run down their contracts but they keep focused, no problem with that.
That's revisionist, and you know it.

To begin with the last point, he didn't "run down his contract" he fulfilled it. As far as we know he rebuffed multiple contract renewal offers and there were never any reports that he gave the club any indication he was going to renew his contract. It's fairly clear that he was very open about his desire to leave Spurs eventually, even on the day he signed his transfer deal he said so. If you feel Levy should have sold him sooner, that's a grievance that lay elsewhere. Eriksen did nothing wrong in playing for the club for the duration of his contract until sold.

Furthermore, your assertion that he basically downed tools the last 18 months because he didn't are anymore has zero factual basis.

Eriksen's PL career by season:

Matches Started: 27 (2), 37 (1), 33 (2), 36, 37, 30 (5), 10 (10)
Minutes: 1984, 3142, 2942, 3167, 3226, 2772, 1092
Goals: 7, 10, 6, 8, 10, 8, 2
Assists: 8, 2, 13, 15, 10, 12, 2

The thing about Eriksen is he has never significantly progressed. He arrived a very good and promising player, and he left a very good player who didn't live up to the high expectations we placed on him. There's a reason Barca, Bayern, and Madrid were never really interested. Over the past 18 months he's been the exact same player he's been for 7 years...occasionally brilliant, sometimes a match winner, but frustratingly not often enough.

You're blaming that on him wanting a move, but the reality is that he's always been that player. And if we'd managed to sign him for £180k/pw there'd be an uproar here about how he isn't worth that.

I can passionately support the club and its players, and not irrationally berate players when they leave. Football, like everything else in our society, has become decisively more nasty and polarized.

Eriksen was a good, but never consistent enough to be great, footballer who provided us with many wonderful moments and almost an equal measure of disappointed ones. He decided it was time to move on with his career.

It doesn't make one more passionate to overreact to that situation by throwing a strop and calling him a cunt. It just makes them petulantly childish.
tell that to the 80s

Back
Top Bottom