Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A few years ago yes I would have agreed with you but we’re on the cusp and my original point of why Eriksen would join the likes of Jones Smalling and Ole stands

We’re in far better shape imv

We finished 5pts ahead of them.
Supposedly we were at our best and they at their worst.

We have two chances of silverware, the PL and CL.
They have 4 chances because they take all competitions seriously.

I’m convinced your a Woolwich fan at this stage.
Why are you on this forum seriously ?

Let’s break it down:
You are “convinced” I am an Woolwich fan.

adjective
  1. completely certain about something.
    "she was not entirely convinced of the soundness of his motives"
    • firm in one's belief with regard to a particular cause or issue.
      "a convinced pacifist"

However, you then ask:

Why are you on this forum seriously ?

So. If you are “convinced” I am an Woolwich fan, then you should know I must be trolling.

So why would you ask what I’m doing here?

Verdict:
Learn what “convinced” means and use words you understand

And we don’t? We were also in a domestic semi-final last season as well as the CL final. A semi final that we had to play without Kane, Dele and Son.

We were clearly not at our best last season for many reasons but we still made it to the last 4 of the League Cup, the final of the CL and 4th place in the league. A respectable season for a team with as many disruptions as we had last year. It’s a joke to say that we don’t take all competitions seriously, we use the same squad rotation policy as EVERY other top team in England.

Man City won the domestic treble last season so unless you think we are better than them last season was about as good as it gets with that squad.

And we don’t? We were also in a domestic semi-final last season as well as the CL final. A semi final that we had to play without Kane, Dele and Son.

We were clearly not at our best last season for many reasons but we still made it to the last 4 of the League Cup, the final of the CL and 4th place in the league. A respectable season for a team with as many disruptions as we had last year. It’s a joke to say that we don’t take all competitions seriously, we use the same squad rotation policy as EVERY other top team in England.

Just going on the managers words

Let’s break it down:
You are “convinced” I am an Woolwich fan.

adjective
  1. completely certain about something.
    "she was not entirely convinced ofthe soundness of his motives"
    • firm in one's belief with regard to a particular cause or issue.
      "a convinced pacifist"

However, you then ask:

So. If you are “convinced” I am an Woolwich fan, then you should know I must be trolling.

So why would you ask what I’m doing here?

Verdict:
Learn what “convinced” means and use words you understand

Sad little man you are

I get that totally

But personally speaking I don’t give a fuck about the FA Cup or League Cup finals unless we were in them but I want us to win every game not because I value either competition

I want us to really challenge for the PL and the CL
We’ve come close but I believe we can get closer

I believe in our manager and our club

They take them no more or less seriously than us. We got closer to the trophy than them in 3 out of 4 competitions.

They went out of the League Cup at home to Derby FFS.

They won the EL and Carabou double while we were celebrating our highest ever PL finish

Are we actually going to sit here and argue that Man U don’t win stuff and Spurs do now?

They won the EL and Carabou double while we were celebrating our highest ever PL finish

Are we actually going to sit here and argue that Man U don’t win stuff and Spurs do now?

Who argued that? You said they take all 4 competitions seriously and we don't, clearly that is not the case. Last season we performed better than them in all but one competition despite our horrible injury problems. You can take a competition seriously and still not win it.

Who argued that? You said they take all 4 competitions seriously and we don't, clearly that is not the case. Last season we performed better than them in all but one competition despite our horrible injury problems. You can take a competition seriously and still not win it.

And as I said, Im going on what our manager has repeatedly said about the domestics over the last 5 years

And as I said, Im going on what our manager has repeatedly said about the domestics over the last 5 years

Europa League never taken seriously either.

Top 4 and CL qualification is where we are currently at. And that’s purely financial.

100%.

I’m not going to argue as it’s seeing the club as the strongest I’ve ever seen it.

But the whole “game is about glory” branding is a total pisstake.

The game is about £s.

Concern is we have 12 days to sell and replace or the next time the transfer window is open he will be signing a pre-contract to leave for free. There is no way we will get Dybala if we take an £80m loss on Eriksen

Concern is we have 12 days to sell and replace or the next time the transfer window is open he will be signing a pre-contract to leave for free. There is no way we will get Dybala if we take an £80m loss on Eriksen

We don't "lose" anything on Eriksen his value has long since been amortized, what happens is we don't gain from his sale, but then we have saved probably 15m on salary by him not signing a new contract since 2016 ... as with Toby it's highly likely we will get one final season from Erlksen before he also walks away on a free. Not good business we should have sold them both last year, however if we had sold them then our CL final and a top four finish (that's worth 100m all day long) would almost certainly never have happened ... we took a gamble

We made a judgement call to let them run down contracts and the results achieved luckily made that into a correct call ... it would be nice to sell them now or indeed get them to re-sign ... but even if they don't we've had decent value from the pair of them ... far more than we lose on free transfers

Interesting to see Woolwich are taking the same approach this year, they have a whole bunch of high value players running down contracts, they've added a stupidly expensive season loan, all in a massive gamble to get back in the top four ... blow it again and they will be up shit creek without even a canoe let alone a paddle.

We don't "lose" anything on Eriksen his value has long since been amortized, what happens is we don't gain from his sale, but then we have saved probably 15m on salary by him not signing a new contract since 2016 ... as with Toby it's highly likely we will get one final season from Erlksen before he also walks away on a free. Not good business we should have sold them both last year, however if we had sold them then our CL final and a top four finish (that's worth 100m all day long) would almost certainly never have happened ... we took a gamble

We made a judgement call to let them run down contracts and the results achieved luckily made that into a correct call ... it would be nice to sell them now or indeed get them to re-sign ... but even if they don't we've had decent value from the pair of them ... far more than we lose on free transfers

Interesting to see Woolwich are taking the same approach this year, they have a whole bunch of high value players running down contracts, they've added a stupidly expensive season loan, all in a massive gamble to get back in the top four ... blow it again and they will be up shit creek without even a canoe let alone a paddle.
I don’t understand this amortised thing. Was listening to podcast yesterday who said if you bought a player for £50m and kept him for five years, then sold him for £10m, that was a profit of £10m.

Where did the £50m go? Surely it shows on the books somewhere? Is it like depreciation on capital equipment?

In my book, stating I’m no accountant, buying at 50 and selling at 10 is a hefty loss.

Back
Top Bottom